PDA

View Full Version : 1500 or 2500

Larson Lawn Care
05-30-2009, 09:13 AM
I have owned a 2000 silverado 1500 it has a 5.3 liter v8. I haven't really had any problems with it under the hood. I haul 2 commercial mowers 5 days a week. I have put around 70k on it in 2 years. I bought new tires for it about a year and a half ago, and they don't have much life on them. I replaced pads and rotors last fall. The rotors cracked this spring, so I had them replaced. Now they squeak like crazy. The tech told me it's because I tow with them. I have a single axle trailer w/out brakes.

I am thinking about getting another truck, something that can handle the weight that I am towing. I am considering a dodge 2500. I'm just not sure if it is over kill for the time being. Will the bigger truck be less on the tire wear and pads/rotors? replacing them every year or two is getting costly.

Lux Lawn
05-30-2009, 10:31 AM
I also have a 2000 Silverado and I don't even pull with it unless it is an emergency. I have sold my 6x12 trailer so I don't think I ever will now. If you are going to replace the truck I would get the 2500, that way if you ever get a bigger trailer you will be fine.

Larson Lawn Care
05-30-2009, 01:15 PM
That's what is pushing me towards the 2500, I'd rather have something to grow into rather than grow out of. My question now is... diesel or regular?????

doug1980
05-30-2009, 03:00 PM
I have a GMC 2500HD with the 6.0L and it is plenty powerful enough. 353 HP and 373 ft lbs of torque. There ain't no mower setup that it can't haul. While I realize bigger is better I feel that most go way overboard just to keep up with or out do the competion. A diesel would only be feasible if you haul rock and heavy landscape equipment.

2Brosmow
05-30-2009, 03:33 PM
I have a GMC 2500HD with the 6.0L and it is plenty powerful enough. 353 HP and 373 ft lbs of torque. There ain't no mower setup that it can't haul. While I realize bigger is better I feel that most go way overboard just to keep up with or out do the competion. A diesel would only be feasible if you haul rock and heavy landscape equipment.

another side of the story is resale value. Generally speaking a diesel will hold it's value longer and with more miles than it's gas comparison. I have a 99 dodge cummins that I love. I love towing with it and using it as a daily driver. Is it overkill? Probably, but it's my truck and it's what I like and besides, diesel's can make some serious fun horsepower if you want them to

doug1980
05-30-2009, 03:47 PM
another side of the story is resale value. Generally speaking a diesel will hold it's value longer and with more miles than it's gas comparison. I have a 99 dodge cummins that I love. I love towing with it and using it as a daily driver. Is it overkill? Probably, but it's my truck and it's what I like and besides, diesel's can make some serious fun horsepower if you want them to

Yeah that is all very true. And don't get me wrong I love the diesels :) But some honestly think it is a must. With all the technology these days gasers can get a lot of miles too. I just sold my 1994 chevy with a 4.3L with almost 190k miles and it still ran strong. In the end it all comes down to what you want. I prefer a gaser for a DD because diesel is not cheap and I will get better city MPG in a gaser. But if I had a landscape business with a huge trailer and all that then I would get a 3500 diesel.

hosejockey2002
05-30-2009, 04:08 PM
My question now is... diesel or regular?????

A gas truck will perform just fine. Any of the big three's gas V8s will have more than adequate power and durability for your application.

However, with as many miles as you run and with the price of diesel roughly equal to that of gas, the payback period of buying diesel is relatively short, probably less than three years without actually doing the math.

Whether you go gas or diesel, the 2500 series pickup will serve you better and cost you less in the long run for what you do.

razor1
05-30-2009, 04:51 PM

Ever have trans. problems with the Dodge? I was looking at a couple of slightly used, diesel 2500's.

2Brosmow
05-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Ever have trans. problems with the Dodge? I was looking at a couple of slightly used, diesel 2500's.

I have owned dodge's all my life along with the rest of the family. My diesel is a 5 speed as was my last ram, but I've owned auto's also and I never had issues.

I have however heard of folks having trouble with dodge auto's. I know for a fact an auto trans won't hold up to a cummins if it has been modded (ex. 125hp box or software upgrades to the ecm for more power). Any of the big 3's diesels will lay down big HP with the right upgrades - but they all 3 also have there short comings.

Look for a good clean truck or better yet one with a 5 or 6 speed.

Gravel Rat
05-30-2009, 07:44 PM
I would be looking for a 2500 or 3500 SRW Chevy why would you want to go with Dodge. As for engine stick with a gas its cheap and easy todays emmisions diesels should come with a bottle of tylenol and a hemmroid cushion.

As for a 2500 being overkill I don't think so. I drive a F-450 as a daily driver and I have no problems with that.

bobcat_ron
05-30-2009, 08:24 PM
A bigger truck is going to last that much longer versus a smaller truck, bigger brakes and rear end gears make a difference in longevity.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-30-2009, 08:34 PM
I didn't read the other responses, so this might be a repeat...

First off, buy your brakepads/shoes at Autozone (lifetime warranty) so you never have to buy another set again. If you can't do the job yourself, then learn.

Second, there's no comparison between a half vs. anything higher when it comes to braking and suspension. I ran half tons for my first several years. They have all kicked the can, so I've finally purchased a one ton. I'd never consider a half ton again. I'm amazed they even accomplished what they did.

silverado212
05-31-2009, 09:53 PM
I had a 1500 Chevy 4x4 when I started. I now have a 2500HD 4x4 and the only thing I would trade on it would be gas to diesel. But I love it the way it is. 6.0L and pulls my 6x10 loaded up without skipping a beat. Had two bobcat scoops of dirt in the bed and three scoops of mulch on the trailer the other day up one of the biggest hills around me. It grunted a bit but stayed in gear and pulled right up. If your running GM's stay with them. My .02 pass on a Dodge.

TomberLawn
06-01-2009, 04:00 PM
I personally think a half ton truck should not be used to tow on a regular basis. They are ok for pulling a boat or something on the weekends, but for daily use, a 3/4 or larger is definitely the way to go. On the gas or diesel issue, I really prefer a diesel for towing. A gas will do fine, as I see gas 3/4 and 1 ton trucks pulling stuff all over the place. But diesel is cheaper than gas now, or at least it is around here. About $0.25/gal cheaper, plus you will get much better mileage and longevity out of a diesel. I routinely average 17-18mpg with my 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins, towing my equipment probably 70% if the time. My brother gets over 21mpg from his 2001 2500 Cummins as a daily driver. I've seen gas drivers report 9-12 mpg out of 3/4 ton trucks towing on a regular basis.

You can extend intervals with a diesel well beyond what a gas will do. I have 11,000 miles on my current oil, Amsoil Synthetic. A friend of mine with a Cummins has 12,000 on his oil, Royal Purple, and when he did an oil analysis, the lab called him to ask if he sent the right sample--they thought is was fresh oil!

Larson Lawn Care
06-01-2009, 06:13 PM
So it would be cheaper to buy a diesel???

D8dozerboy
06-01-2009, 08:29 PM
That depends on your area fuel prices, cost of the trucks ETC. If you are planing on buying new. I would get a gasser and I'm a die hard diesel guy. The mileage is just so bad with the new emission stuff. Its still better then a gasser, but not much. Since you will be doing a bunch of short trips your going to put more wear and tear on it then a gasser.

brp8644
06-01-2009, 09:08 PM
I would go chevy or ford dodge does not have the best luck w/ trannys i think gravel rat is right but beware that 3500 srw chevy's are hard to find the 2500 will give you plenty of tire, but more importantly the 4L80 e trans is a huge upgrade from the 4L60 in your half ton:)

VirginiaLawnCare
06-02-2009, 12:34 AM

I got a 96 2500 diesel and it goes threw trans every like 100,000 miles and im on 356,000 miles now. But the last 100,000 it has been twin turbo.

All in all I love my F350 100X better then any dodge or Chevy diesel.

ZTR_Diesel
06-02-2009, 03:26 AM
If you go with the Dodge, I would stay away fom the gas engines, they really thirst for gasoline, and the Cummins is just a much better engine for work purposes in the end.

Otherwise, I'd get a Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0L gas engine, or a Dmax/Allison if you have that kind of money. Get a used truck, and enjoy it.

TimTim2008
06-02-2009, 05:35 AM
honestly. youre still going to have brake and tire wear, no matter what..

what you will spend on a new truck, you will spend much less on just buying new tires and brakes..

you just want an excuse to buy that new shiney truck. lol
:)
its ok, i understand.. you have our permission to get that 2500 if that helps.. :)

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-02-2009, 11:30 AM

what you will spend on a new truck, you will spend much less on just buying new tires and brakes..

I disagree. When I was forcing a half ton to do a one-ton's job, I was changing brake pads every 2-3 months! I was burning up a full set of trailer brakes each season, forcing the trailer to compensate for the lackluster performance of the truck. I was balding tires at an alarming rate, because the front suspension wasn't constructed to handle the type of force that all that weight was putting on the front tires when turning...

Whereas, if you look around, a full size truck's value is crap at the moment. At least it was a couple months ago when I bought mine. I got a one ton cheaper than I could have picked up a half ton of equivalent mileage.

MileHigh
06-02-2009, 02:39 PM

Total BS...Quit believing all the crap you hear.

3/4 ton trucks and up have much bigger brake systems than there sister half ton...and when you get to one ton dually...they get even bigger. Bigger brakes under the same load will last longer....duh.

3/4 ton and up trucks only in this line of work.

half-tons = my wife's grocery getter / kid pickerupper.

ron mexico75
06-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Total BS...Quit believing all the crap you hear.

3/4 ton trucks and up have much bigger brake systems than there sister half ton...and when you get to one ton dually...they get even bigger. Bigger brakes under the same load will last longer....duh.

3/4 ton and up trucks only in this line of work.

half-tons = my wife's grocery getter / kid pickerupper.

That's funny right there!!!:laugh:

zMaster225
06-03-2009, 02:09 AM
1500 is ALL you need for everyday mowing/landscaping. I see too many 3/4 tons pulling 5x10 trailers with a zero turn and walk behind squeezed together. Beat it buddy! A 4 banger ranger would pull that. And brakes? Up the sensitivity on your controller.

I've had a Ram 2500 v10, chevy 1500 4.3 v6, and now a chevy 1500 5.3 v8. Zero brake problems with any, no different wear more than another, best gas mileage in the 4.3. Same 6x16 trailer, all got the job done.

D8dozerboy
06-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Zero brake problems with any, no different wear more than another, best gas mileage in the 4.3. Same 6x16 trailer, all got the job done.

BS almost everyone gets at least 100K out of the brakes on GM 2500 if they're well maintained. And unless you run E rated tires on your 1500 like 2500s do they will last longer as well. No one said a 1500 won't get the job done, buts it will be a lot harder on it. You can mow a lawn with a 21" mower but you don't do you?

doug1980
06-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Just buy a 2500 truck as far as diesel or gas....personal preference. They both have good and bad. I prefer gasser's but that's just me. Get what you want and good luck.

B.O.S.man
06-03-2009, 10:37 PM
I got 122k on the front brakes on my 2000 chevy 2500, trailer in tow every day. My buddies 1500 front brakes were done around 90k and he never towed a trailer. If your gonna tow every day, get the bigger truck.

Larson Lawn Care
06-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Let me try to stir something else up here. Chevy 2500? Ford f250? or Dodge Ram 2500? I have only owned Chevy, always said I'd never buy another truck, but I'm just not a fan of the new models exterior. If I'm gonna buy a new truck, I'd rather have something that looks mean and has the power and longevity as well. Thats why I really like the Ram, it looks a beast.

B.O.S.man
06-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Aw man, no you didn't, you mean my chevy doesn't look mean as its gettin ready to pull this big azz tree off that house?:weightlifter:

doug1980
06-04-2009, 02:04 AM
I think they look mean

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo3/speedracer1565/SANY0487.jpg

rcslawncare
06-04-2009, 02:16 AM
I got the 2500 hd gmc with the allison and a 8.1 496 big block. Thing tows anything, but it is thirsty. It gets about 10 towing and 13 in mixed normal driving. geared real low i guess, but nice solid truck. IFS is nice in the 3/4 ton too!

D8dozerboy
06-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Drive them all and buy the one you like most. The dodges are thirsty my buddy has a 2500 with the hemi and 35s he only gets 9mpg. I'm a die hard chevy guy but in there and dodges current situation would nudge me towards ford. You can't beat the ride of the chevys and IFS is just as good as a SFA in everything but off roading.

AGM Inc.
07-15-2009, 05:30 PM
either would be fine. just stick with chevy. i tow a 16x8 open trailer with 2 mowers daily and it does ok. it tops out at 50 up a hill but its not bad considering how much gas i save. im considering a 3/4 ton but i also do fine plowin with a 1/2 ton. I also have some sort of squeaking in the rear rotors.