PDA

View Full Version : SAVE this lawn! *PICS*

jsullivanlw
05-30-2009, 02:31 PM
This client wants me to fix her lawn. There is not much grass its mostly weeds. Suggentions, opinions, prices? Thanks in advance.:)

doug1980
05-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Rip it all up and sod it. Put some planting beds around the trees and charge her hourly plus a markup on the materials.

jsullivanlw
05-30-2009, 03:14 PM
What do I use to rip it up. Never laid sod before either.
Posted via Mobile Device

doug1980
05-30-2009, 03:23 PM
What do I use to rip it up. Never laid sod before either.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would use a sod cutter. You should be able to rent one. It will cut the grass just below the root line and in nice sheets making removal easy. So the machine rental and disposal should be in your estimate as well. Then you can either seed the area but me not being familiar with Florida growing season it may be too early for that. Sod would give the client faster results obviously. And it is very quick to lay.

Green Team Landscaping
05-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Skid Steer?

tamadrummer
05-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Hire an excavation contractor to come in and scrape the ground clean and take out enough fill to add 3" of compost. Have that same contractor grade the surface and spread out the compost.

After that order how ever many pallets of bitter blue St. Augustine sod you need and lay it.

You need to ensure that your joints are tight when you lay it and don't have any running bonds.

After you have laid the sod, put down some milorganate.

WETSCAPE
05-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Till it rake it topdress and seed! They will be happier in the end! Does not look like a huge job.

tamadrummer
05-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Till it rake it topdress and seed! They will be happier in the end! Does not look like a huge job.

There is no seed for St. Augustine grass and the other seeds just don't work. I have yet to see a seed job that has worked here in FL.

RAlmaroad
05-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Don't want to be cruel, but can they afford a redo? You're talking major bucks in excess of $1500 to rent equipment, hire help, and re sod and irrigation. St. Augustine is nearly $200/450sq.ft. palette. Sod will die if not irrigated and kept wet for a week or more. Around those trees are great places for mulch beds. Lay down landscape fabric and mulch and border and place some great stones, bird bath, and potted plants and shade tolerant vegetation. Don't forget to add a reasonable profit margin.

White Gardens
05-30-2009, 07:09 PM
Skip trying to do grass under those big trees. You'll never be able to establish a new lawn.

Landscape it.

cudaclan
05-30-2009, 09:03 PM
And White Gardens receives the cigar.
How would one expect to grow turf-grass with competition from tree roots and minimal/no photosynthesis?

Answer: AstroTurf:laugh:

"Skip trying to do grass under those big trees. You'll never be able to establish a new lawn.

Landscape it"

jsullivanlw
05-30-2009, 11:28 PM
I was thinking of doing some tree trimming
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
05-31-2009, 09:18 AM
With more tree than space, it is not worth the time and money.
Do southerners have a shade grass, like our 'fescue' up here?

farmboy555
05-31-2009, 07:00 PM
Looks like a good job for my Harley Rake

jsullivanlw
05-31-2009, 08:45 PM
I called another lco he's gonna take a look and see. Should I get a cut of the job from him or just be happy doing the mowing when the sod gets put down???
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
05-31-2009, 10:13 PM
Looks like a good job for my Harley Rake

And that's another good job at compacting an already stressed lawn.

Smallaxe
05-31-2009, 10:41 PM
I called another lco he's gonna take a look and see. Should I get a cut of the job from him or just be happy doing the mowing when the sod gets put down???
Posted via Mobile Device

Pay attention to the fact there is no sun and no root zone for the sod... Maybe you'd be ok but... I wouldn't be involved in that foolishness at all... unless of course I saw something that gave a glimmer of hope and a challenge... :)

tstutz
06-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Skip trying to do grass under those big trees. You'll never be able to establish a new lawn.

Landscape it.

i agree 100%

nobagger
06-02-2009, 08:08 PM
By the way everything looks (including the lawn) I would go to your local Lowes or HD and buy several yards of green out door carpeting and call it done!

cgaengineer
06-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Even if you trim the tree it will be hard to grow anything under it. My backyard has bermuda and tall trees almost zero shade under them, so far I have sodded it twice. Its almost full sun, but between the steep hill and the tree roots it just doesnt stand a chance.

When you see those pictures of beautiful grass growing against trees it will be short lived without a ton of water and even with water it probably wont live.

jsullivanlw
06-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Just sent the estimate for everything trimming and sod it was $2206. I will take some pics of the lawn when it's complete.
Posted via Mobile Device

hornett22
06-05-2009, 08:56 PM
There is no seed for St. Augustine grass and the other seeds just don't work. I have yet to see a seed job that has worked here in FL.

you need to rake all that dead crap out and add topsoil. just lyme the hell out of it.they will have to always water it.rain cannot get under the canopy of that tree.raising and/or trimming or thinning the canopy of the tree would help.if they aren't going to maintain it (water) tell them to save their money.

fl-landscapes
06-05-2009, 10:09 PM

Your right there is no st augustine seed. However you are mistaken if you think the "other seeds" don't work. You said you've never seen a job seeded in fl that worked. Here are pics of a Hydroseed job I did less than two months ago. The second pic was after only four weeks.

Smallaxe
06-05-2009, 11:26 PM
you need to rake all that dead crap out and add topsoil. just lyme the hell out of it.they will have to always water it.rain cannot get under the canopy of that tree.raising and/or trimming or thinning the canopy of the tree would help.if they aren't going to maintain it (water) tell them to save their money.

Rain does get under the canopy of , even pine trees, if it comes , enough at a time...

A good stand of pines can stop 11 inches per year , depending on how much comes at once.

This is good news for the areas that suffer erosion - and - bad news, for the places that want to establish "Turf" in the tree line.

Sunshine is, a big part of turf survivability--- overcoming the competition is a another part of survivability...

Growing in the shade , on the top of tree roots... Doomed to failure... I say... :)

tamadrummer
06-05-2009, 11:28 PM
That is an excellent job. I have not seen any hydro-seeding done here either though. It is something I used to see done all the time in NY but done here, never.

Is that bermuda that you seeded with or bahia?

fl-landscapes
06-06-2009, 08:38 AM
That is an excellent job. I have not seen any hydro-seeding done here either though. It is something I used to see done all the time in NY but done here, never.

Is that bermuda that you seeded with or bahia?

Thanks Drummer. I am originally from the northeast also (Boston) and there was a lot of hydroseeding up there. I wondered for a while why it wasn't being done here and did some research. It is used in florida but very rare. Obviously from the photos it can be done. Yup thats a triangle bermuda lawn. It is even more lush and full now.