PDA

View Full Version : exmark

obeewan36
05-30-2009, 08:23 PM
I am having a problem with my mower 25 hp kohler lazer z model CH25S. It has been eating batteries for the past two weeks. I put a new one last week and in the middle of mowing my 2 acres it just died and would not restart. I put a new battery on mowed today and all was good until I turned it off to clean it off and it would not restart until I jumped it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Restrorob
05-30-2009, 08:49 PM
First, Look for a fuse near the starter that could be blown.

The charging system can be tested with a multimeter as below;

Un-plug the voltage regulator and put a multimeter on AC volts, Put a test lead on each of the white wires. Start the engine and run at full throttle, You should get 28 or more AC volts.

If lower than 28 volts AC the stator is bad.

If you do get 28 or above AC volts check the ground wire/strap on the voltage regulator for corrosion/tightness, Also check for battery voltage on the center wire (purple in most cases) in the regulator plug with the key in the run position.

If stator test OK, Regulator ground is good and there is battery voltage to the center regulator wire replace the voltage regulator.

obeewan36
05-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks Rob. I put a new voltage regulator on last weekend after talking to my local exmark dealer, do you have any other suggestions? Thanks

Restrorob
05-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Well,

Did you perform all the other test I mentioned above ?

That is pretty much the complete charging system test, Something has to show up faulty.....

obeewan36
05-30-2009, 10:21 PM
I will run the test tomorrow. Thank you

mowerknower
05-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Make sure your regulator is grounded well. It will not work if it is not grounded, Ive seen it a lot where guys install a new one and dont hook up the ground. Just a thought