PDA

View Full Version : starting a removed motor

hondarancher4435
05-31-2009, 12:25 AM
i have a briggs and stratton 12.5 hp industrial/commercial engine i removed from a mower that ran great when it was on the mower but now i can't get it to start i have the full wiring harness and cannot get it to start with everything hooked up right and the safety switches bypassed. i would like to get it started period but it would be even better if there is some way i can just hook a battery straight to the starter motor to get it going. can you guys tell me how to get this thing running

kb9nvh
05-31-2009, 08:33 AM
I don't have an answer for you why it wont start off the mount but
You need to bolt that thing down if you start it off the mower or it will probably go for walk without ya....

Restrorob
05-31-2009, 08:36 AM
With the complete wire harness removed from the engine leaving the solenoid cable connected on the starter;

If this engine has a fuel cut-off solenoid in the bottom of the carb a jumper wire must be ran to it from your jumper battery + lead, Hook the - jumper battery lead to a good block ground. Touch the + jumper battery lead to the solenoid cable and it should start and run, To shut it off disconnect the fuel cut-off solenoid jumper wire from the + jumper battery lead.

topsites
06-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Uhhh....

I hope you got the thing secured some kind of way, I don't think you want to start a 'loose' engine.
Because I think it could easily ruin someone's day.

I don't have an answer for you why it wont start off the mount but
You need to bolt that thing down if you start it off the mower or it will probably go for walk without ya....

Oh :p

The other thing is, I think it still needs a flywheel of some kind, or it could 'back' start on you or attempt to
run backwards or sputter wildly or do some other crazy thing...

The problem being it could cause serious damage along the way.
It's just not usually a good idea to start engines outside of their application.
Now a handheld powerhead you can usually secure those in a vise.
But a 12.5 hp ?
brrrr....
Scary amounts of power.