PDA

View Full Version : Start Up Time For Me=Interesting Times

damianharley
05-31-2009, 02:30 PM
wow who would have ever thunk you have to run this mow and blow business like a real business! in every sense if not smarter! machine breakdowns, customer concerns, competition everywhere, busting your but just to get better equipment in the beginning (what I'm doing right now:dizzy:) etc etc wow I'm Impressed by those who have made it! :weightlifter:

after machine breakdowns and fixes yesterday I had just $1 left from the cash I spent at the shop to go to the liquor store for a nice cold Arizona ice tea! :drinkup:

..it was worth it, it was the best tea i ever had.

J & D Greens
05-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Welcome to this huge learning curve. Hope you price things so that you are able to eventually get ahead and stay ahead. That is the toughest thing is to price a job right and stick to your guns when you are just starting out and really need work. Good luck and next time I hope you can get a cheeseburger and fries to go with that tea!, David

SC Irrigator
06-01-2009, 05:26 PM
starting out if u dont have a lot of money is tough....just take times...price it right....and hopefully you'll get lucky....

doug1980
06-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Arizona sweet tea is the BEST EVER! Good luck and hope it gets better.

damianharley
06-02-2009, 02:39 AM
Yes I have learned QUICKLY the most important thing is my estimates! it really can make or break you.

LandscapeSavannah
07-26-2009, 12:22 AM
Bid it like you don't even give a damn

g21
07-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Damian, I don't think I ever heard anyone put it like that...it's almost prophetic! When you said that not only do you have to run your landscape company like a real business, but "even smarter". You couldn't be more right. It's almost unfair. Not only do do you have to contend with all of the operational challenges, but all of the administrative tasks that go along with growing and maintaining profitability. A service business is one of the toughest business models to excel at. I'm glad to see you've recognized that! Let me know if you ever need help with anything.

Tommy

DLAWNS
07-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Welcome to the site. There is so much great info on here, Read as much as you can and don't be afraid to ask questions!

J & D Greens
07-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Hey Damianharly, kind of wondering how things are going for you. Has business exploded for you? Are your estimates getting easier? Are you enjoying more Arizona iced teas after a long hard day? Just wondering. David

damianharley
08-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Cheers Fellas! Ok things have been like this in my area, as soon as I get a handle on the few accounts that I have like 10 residential I manage to get a call here and there " i got my hours cut" " someone in my family lost his job so he will be doing the job, call you back in fall?" "how much just to trim my yard, I will mow it to save cash" etc etc.

My biggest big personal big thumbs up was going ALL commercial equipment. Im using all Echo 2 cycle Equipment, trimmer,hedge trimmer,backpack blower, etc etc Major time savers, I couldnt and I dont know how others get along with out Pro Equip.

Anyways believe it or not I pack everything into a commercial ex coca cola cargo van (including mower, racks, brooms, trash cans, tarps everthing man I mean I have everthing in there to to major cleanups) I outsource and call for a dump trailer to show to site if jobs is big since i dont have a truck.

Anyways todays tuesday and I got got a call from one of my best accounts saying "hes pulling up the grass, and his son is in town" I said no problem, see you later

I will keep posted.Must press on :weightlifter: