PDA

View Full Version : Pulsa-Jet Carb

Maraudir
06-01-2009, 03:45 AM
I have a Montgomery Ward shredder with a BS 130212-731-01 5.0hp engine. I have cleaned out the carb and the fuel tank. It seems as though the fuel pump is not functioning. If I fill the fuel tank up completely and tilt the shredder (toward the smaller intake/reserve container) it will start and run. As soon as I level off the machine it will not stay running unless I feed starter fluid in the carb neck. I have a new carb rebuild kit and fuel pickup tubes on order. I have also tried to make another diaphram out of a silicon sheet but still have no luck. Any guidance would be appreciated. Oh, and BTW when the carb was off I cleaned the screen on the intake valves and was able to spray carb cleaner through the inlet and see fluid come out the intake tube and visa versa.

Restrorob
06-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Sounds like your headed in the right direction. Just to save you another post asking how to get the long fuel pick-up tube on, Warm the end with a hair dryer....

Maraudir
06-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Awsome, that's the kind of heads up I was looking for. Thanks.

Maraudir
06-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Is it possible to attache the carb but not the fuel tank to test and see if the fuel pump is actually working correctly? Or does it need a seal gas tank on the manifold there?

Maraudir
06-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Also I hear about pre-loading the fuel pump. Is that necessary on this Pulsa-Jet carb? Thanks.

Restrorob
06-02-2009, 07:38 PM
If you wanted to test the pump I guess you could hold a cup of fuel under the long pickup tube and pull the rope with the plug out and plug wire grounded, Then watch for fuel coming out of the short tube. The gasket only prevents fuel leakage between the carb and tank.

Never heard of "pre-loading" a fuel pump, You could pre-fill the little cup in the top of the tank that the short tube sits in. Doing this would save pulling the rope a few extra times to get it full enough for the main jet to pick fuel up.