PDA

View Full Version : Voltage Regulator

lawnandl
06-01-2009, 06:16 PM
i have a bobcat 61 inch ztr with a 23hp kawasaki. now, i was wondering if my voltage regulator could be bad. the symptoms are, the mower has a new battery, but cranks very slow. i tried 2 different new batteries, replaced the starter and cables, but still cranks slow. i have tried to jump it with a truck, but the mower still cranks slow like a battery running out of juice. could it be the voltage regulator? anyone with though about this?

Restrorob
06-01-2009, 07:00 PM
The voltage regulator has nothing to do with engine cranking speed other than regulating how much voltage is sent to the battery while running.

Can you spin the engine by hand fairly easy ?

Possibly a bearing seizing up in the PTO clutch ?

lawnandl
06-01-2009, 08:29 PM
yes, the engine spins easy by hand and the mower is in very good mechanical shape...

Restrorob
06-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Can you post the engine model and spec numbers ? They should be on a white bar code label on the block.

topsites
06-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Hmmm...

You replaced the starter.
And the battery.
And the cables.

The question is, which cables?
The ones from the battery to the solenoid, the ones from the solenoid to the starter, or the whole slew?

How about...
Did you clean the posts?
Yes, even if they're brand new, probably wouldn't hurt.

After that, the only thing I can think of is ignition switch or possibly a faulty relay...

And I'd get some other opinions.

lawnandl
06-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the input. the cable that was changed is from the battery to the starter solenoid, the cable from the solenoid to the starter looks perfect still. i did clean it anyway though. the #'s are FH680V-BS05 and the E/N is FH680VA37314...

Restrorob
06-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Your engine has a mechanical compression release on the camshaft, As the valves wear out of proper adjustment this compression release doesn't function properly. The results are slow to no cranking speed.

Check the valve clearances and see if that helps.....

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FH/ALLFHSeriesValveAdjustment.jpg

Good Luck

Ruben Rocha
06-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Also could it be a bad starter solenoid?
If the contacts inside it are bad you would have reduced voltage to the starter.
Just as a simple test you could jump start directly to the starter on the load side of the solenoid.

lawnandl
06-02-2009, 04:40 PM
thanks for the help... but it seems more like an electrical thing like Ruben Rocha seemed to suggest. i just cant see the problem being a mechanical compression release on the camshaft. i will do both tests and answer back soon. Anyone have any thoughts on the last two suggestions made by Ruben Rocha and Restrorob?

Ruben Rocha
06-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Well it could be both or more.
You will be amazed at what adjusting valves will fix.
I was going to suggest you have a dry bushing in the starter but you said you replaced it with a new one.
BTW, I was not aware of the compression release as Rob stated until now.
But I adjust my valves on a regular basis anyway.

lawnandl
06-03-2009, 09:22 AM
i am going to adjust the valves today and i will see what happens...

Ruben Rocha
06-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Just be prepared to replace a gasket. Usually you don't but sometimes you will tear one

lawnandl
06-03-2009, 04:35 PM
You are right, I did tear one, anyway, it was the valves as Rob had said. Great advice and i never would have guessed that would be the problem... Many Many thanks to you guys...

Ruben Rocha
06-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Yea it was probably the one that is up against the seat. With no clearance to take it off with out forcing it off.

lawnandl
06-03-2009, 07:28 PM
nope,,, it was right in the back and couldnt have had easier access ! :laugh:

Restrorob
06-03-2009, 08:53 PM
it was the valves as Rob had said.

Uhhh....Hmmm......You mean I got one right for a change ? ;)

Glad to hear you got it squared away. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

lawnandl
06-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Exactly Right !:dancing: