PDA

View Full Version : Please help me bid this job!!!

Thomas Wall
06-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Hi all,
I have a customer that has a 40,000 square foot lawn that he needs mowed and thatched. The grass/weeds have not been kept up or mowed in aprox. 2 years, and it is about 12" high. There is also about 2-3" of dead grass packed down in it. I will be using a riding mower and a bluebird thatcher that I will rent for $60.00. I will be bagging the grass as I mow it before I thatch, and will be able to dump it on site, then I will have my partner on the Thatcher and then we'll both be raking. I'm anticipating a full day (16-20 man hours) on this job. I am thinking it's probably a $500-700 job. What does that sound like to y'all?
Let me know, and that would be fantastic!:usflag:

Mahoney3223
06-02-2009, 10:12 AM
It's going to take you longer than one day first off with that equipment, secondly your price seems decent. I would maybe figure on two days, one for the mow and bag then one for mow and i would bag up the thatch, no way in hell would i rake that, you'll be there all day $1000

ALC-GregH
06-02-2009, 11:07 AM
So it's less then a acre at 40Ksqft. I could do it for $450 and make close to $100 an hour solo. Your price is WAY to high. Matter of fact, for the price you came up with, I could scalp it, aerate and re-seed the lawn and give it a dose of fert to boot. Now I haven't looked at the place to be more accurate but from what you posted, it wouldn't take very long to clean it up.

BCarlson
06-02-2009, 11:09 AM
If you mow it first you are sure to find lawn mower killers. I alway weed wack first then mow. I can't count the number of items that would have turned a mower into junk or had flying shrapnel. You are about right on with the bid but it will take more than one day. my guess for 40k sq/ft lawn like that would be 3-4 days for 2 people. Or use a field mower and get it down and rake up the grass.

Thomas Wall
06-04-2009, 03:37 PM
got the job for $600.00. It took us about 16 man hours, and turned out pretty great. Thanks for the advice all!:usflag: