PDA

View Full Version : how do you get comm. jobs and price them.

Donmoran
06-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Just wondered how you get the comercial jobs and figure prices.

supercuts
06-12-2009, 08:08 PM
you place ads and have your business listed in the phone book, then they call you. at this point you go out and give them an estimate. they may then choose to take on more estimates and pick from those, or they may simply give you the work because youve mostly likely underpriced it if you need to ask how to get commercial accounts

sorry for the brutal honesty

dKoester
06-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Find out if they are currently under contract and when do they begin to start accepting bids. Get you a clipboard and pen and target the ones you want to bid on. Walk the property if you can. Take notes. Got to be aggressive.

P.Services
06-13-2009, 12:53 AM
you place ads and have your business listed in the phone book, then they call you. at this point you go out and give them an estimate. they may then choose to take on more estimates and pick from those, or they may simply give you the work because youve mostly likely underpriced it if you need to ask how to get commercial accounts

sorry for the brutal honesty

this made me so happy to read. thats exactly what was in my head and i didnt even have to type it. thanks

doug1980
06-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Not to make waves but everyone had to start somewhere. I rather doubt anyone knew how to do any of this at some point. And I'm sure that if it weren't for someone helping you out you wouldn't be where you are now. Might be nice to help a guy out from time to time and pass on some knowledge. Just my opinion.

S.I.
06-13-2009, 01:56 AM
Trial and error

topsites
06-13-2009, 02:03 AM
Not to make waves but everyone had to start somewhere. I rather doubt anyone knew how to do any of this at some point. And I'm sure that if it weren't for someone helping you out you wouldn't be where you are now. Might be nice to help a guy out from time to time and pass on some knowledge. Just my opinion.

It's all right so long you're not the one who has to come back in the middle of 100-degree July to the Commercial account
that you lost to the lowballing fool who had no problem taking the best money for the season but then as soon as the sun
came out and warmed things up to where it got a bit tough he done disappeared off the radar.

So now you got to come in and clean up the mess for half the year's money in the worst heat,
only hoping someone in the contracting department learned something because otherwise come
next spring it's the same load of baloney all over again.

Meanwhile it destroys the chances of getting in the door at some kind of reasonable rate,
next thing you know we got these folks calling talk about "but the last guy did it for HALF that!"

Granted that's the breaks and maybe it's also just a little inexperience,
but it can and will get to the best of us some days.

doug1980
06-13-2009, 03:21 AM
No I don't support nor condone "low balling" But to riducule a guy who asks here how he should go about bidding on things isn't going to solve those problems. Instead why not try and educate those who don't know and unintentually low ball which would end up helping us all. Just a thought.

bohiaa
06-13-2009, 10:17 AM
depending on the business, you may have a ton of foot traffic, always remember when a person is near by. STOP the machine your operating, Because you will have to stop. you will have to consider this in your bid.

get your self a contract, that has EVERYTHING, and I mean everything listed. shoot me a PM with your email and I will send you one.
it's more of a check list. the customer may want this and NOT that.

have you company profile ready for the customer to look at.
if you dont have a profile GET ONE,
persent your self as a pro. KNOW what your talking about.

best of luck

ferris09
06-13-2009, 10:18 AM
No I don't support nor condone "low balling" But to riducule a guy who asks here how he should go about bidding on things isn't going to solve those problems. Instead why not try and educate those who don't know and unintentually low ball which would end up helping us all. Just a thought.

Exactly !!
Sometimes bashing another person wanting to know the "right way" to do something makes things worse than trying to explain how to do it the "right way"

Now that person is unsure of how to bid that job and ends up lowballing it and it is just as much your fault as it is theirs since you had the opportunity to level the playing field but chose not to.

(you is the persons who did the bashing and not the quoted person above)