PDA

View Full Version : Most affordable Straw?

Mikey Palmice
06-01-2009, 11:49 PM
what is the most affordable way to purchase straw? I am putting down new seed in a fairly large area and will need a lot.

I have heard about some kind of straw blanket that you roll out over your seed. Is that expensive?

How much straw should be put down per square foot? do you put enough down so you can't see the ground at all?

thanks

gulfjoe
06-02-2009, 12:04 AM
The straw blankets are pretty expensive, especially if you have a large area. I recommend wheat straw. you need about 75% coverage of the ground to do the job. I am not an expert but 1 bale does about 1000 sq/ft.

Mikey Palmice
06-02-2009, 12:30 AM
I am in the process of placing new topsoil and I will be seeding in that and rolling it lightly and covering it with the straw. I will be using scotts water smart seed.

should I put anything into the new topsoil to help the seeds grow? Is it necessary? recommended?

thanks again

gulfjoe
06-02-2009, 01:33 AM
I am in the process of placing new topsoil and I will be seeding in that and rolling it lightly and covering it with the straw. I will be using scotts water smart seed.

should I put anything into the new topsoil to help the seeds grow? Is it necessary? recommended?

thanks again

scotts new lawn fert would not hurt i used it and it helped. take a look at my thread in what i had to go through. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=268963 I recommend looking at this all the way and see what you are about to go through i have great pics to show you what is going to happen

Smallaxe
06-02-2009, 08:57 AM
High N at germination time tends to shallow roots with all its energy going to green growth.
Straw will give you lots and lots of thin and barespots. It helps to run it through a chopper, but still lots of bare spots.
CG will be germinating right along with the regular grass at this point. We did sod yesterday for that very reason. Perfect lawn forever... Less expensive in the long run. :)

mzgloves20
06-03-2009, 08:31 PM
I hate straw...lol...

I have not been topping with that for a long time. Nothing but re-dos when I do. If I have no other choice I just use enough to look like its there...

I like the green paper pellets for small to mid size jobs. One bag covers about as much a bale will. Wet it and it swells. Neat stuff.

Often I just rake the seed in and water. Nothing else esp if there is a peat or mush compost in. They do well enough to keep the soil heavy and in place when wet.

Mikey Palmice
06-03-2009, 11:50 PM
scotts new lawn fert would not hurt i used it and it helped. take a look at my thread in what i had to go through. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=268963 I recommend looking at this all the way and see what you are about to go through i have great pics to show you what is going to happen

I will read it now. thanks. I plan on getting the rest of my topsoil done by saturday and seed on sunday.

Mikey Palmice
06-04-2009, 12:12 AM

I have read your thread. nice lawn.

did you put in the scotts new lawn fertilizer with the new topsoil and then put down the seed? Followed by a light rake in and a light rolling to get the seed down into the soil?