PDA

View Full Version : chainsaw won't fire or pop

filburt
06-02-2009, 10:02 AM
McCulloch 2-cycle chainsaw won't fire, even with starting fluid sprayed in the cylinder. Verified that there is good spark at the new plug. Can feel the spark through the boot when plug is installed, so I know it's not bad spark wire.

It was running and working fine prior to stopping suddenly. Haven't been able to get it to even fire since then.

With good spark and with starting fluid in cylinder, what are possible causes of not firing?

SLR
06-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Those pieces of crapola are not even worth the text to attempt a fix!

My 1999 mc with prbab;y 20hours on it is still out in the 'bush' as punishment..ha it always has to have the name 'bush' attached to it if it's broken!

dutch1
06-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Did you check the compression? If you don't have adequate compression it may not fire. I don't happen to know what Mac's spec for compression might be but generally I look at anything under 90 in a two stroke to be one the weak side. Pull the muffler and inspect the cylinder/piston for metal transfer, scoring and carbon stuck rings.

By the way, I'm not a fan of Mac's, Homelites and Poulans either.

Dutch

davidl79
06-02-2009, 11:51 PM
You might even want to play with the choke. I had one that all of a sudden needed very little choke to start. Damn things!!!!!!!!!

filburt
06-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Dutch1: I have not measured the compression. It feels good - or at least the same as when it was starting easily and running properly. I will try to check that next - but have to first get a compression meter.

Davidl79: Yes, I've tried many pulls with choke full out, full in, half out.

Thanks for your input!

olyman
06-03-2009, 10:45 PM
last time it shut off--it may have sheared the key on the flywheel--