PDA

View Full Version : How do you rewind the pull rope

dave k
06-02-2009, 04:34 PM
I have a Kawasaki on my Exmark and the pull rope broke yesterday, I want to replace the rope but need to know how to tighten it up so it recoils like the old one.
I pulled the rope out and just put the handle on the old one to get it started so I could work on it in my garage, but it wouldn't pull the rope tight.
Any help is appreciated.

davidl79
06-02-2009, 04:49 PM
You will have to pull the cover off and wind the spring. The way I do it is, pull cord back out. Take the pully and turn it approx ten times. You will feel it getting tighter. Line the hole up and tie the sting back on. You will be able to test it in your hand. If you pull it and it doesn't go back in all the way the spring isn't tight enough yet. I hope this helps.

4.3mudder
06-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Usually from what I have done with different models is tie the rope to the pulley, wind up the rope inside of the case until all is in the housing. Take the end of the string and hold it with the pulley, wind it up the opposite way so that it gets tight, hold the pulley so that it does not come unwound. Take that end string, feed it through the hole, put a pair of vise grips to hold the string outside the housing, and tir the handle on it. Simple to me. Hope this helps.

Ruben Rocha
06-02-2009, 06:26 PM
What ever method you use it is not so simple to do the first time.
When you reach the point that the rope broke you also have the issue that the spring is worn. So it will be a trial method to determine how much to wrap the rope and wind the spring.
So just have some patience with it.

dave k
06-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks all for your help,:waving: I used Davidl79 method and worked well, although I didn't use 10 turns, works great, I re did the one on my Tanaka edger, that one was harder to do, and will do my Honda 21" next.
Dave