PDA

View Full Version : Iphone, Blackberry or Smartphone

TPnTX
06-02-2009, 08:57 PM
I gotta get with the program. I'm tired of calling back to the office for info.

My needs in priority order are:

Cell phone
Email
Browser
GPS
excel type app.
camera(I don't mind carrying the camera that I have)

Somewhere in there is...ruggedness if that exists. I'm not much on texting but I figure the works on any of them.

What I really want is to not loose anything as far as cell phone signal. I have to get to email. I want the screen to be usable with a the browser and I'd really like to be able to enter a few item into a spreadsheet type app to generate quote in the field that I could turn around and instantly email to the customer as we speak.

So considering all that what does everyone have ? I think the Iphone has the biggest screen but I don't know...theres a lot of blackberry fans out there too.

Loooogie
06-02-2009, 09:07 PM
To me it sounds like you should be looking at gettiing a nokia.

I have an iphone, it is a very clear phone but it does drop calls, it does not have turn by turn GPS, the camera is not that great, the phone is fragile, the email is not instant email like the blackberry. The iphone is awesome but not a real business phone

I think you should look at nokia, they make the best built phones, that includes great cameras, turn by turn gps, they have good spreedsheet aps, and they are build to last.

bohiaa
06-02-2009, 10:06 PM
sounds like you need a laptop.... any little phone will do....

with WIFI almost everywhere these days. a laptop may be your best bet.... and may be cheeper too...

Luck

TPnTX
06-02-2009, 10:34 PM
yeah I thought about the laptop but man, I know this sound crazy, but thats a big-ass piece of equipment to tote around. all that for a spreadsheet?

I've not considere a nokia, I'll take a look. A few smartphones run window mobile 6.1. I'm all about windows.

MowHouston
06-03-2009, 01:10 AM
Checked out the Blackberry Storm yet? Seems like a pretty powerful business phone.

I've been thinking about getting one but I haven't really tested it out much.

TPnTX
06-03-2009, 06:48 AM
im limited to att.

Classified
06-03-2009, 07:30 AM
I had a blackberry before my iPhone and I loved the bb. However, I had slot of software issues with it and eventually it locked up so bad it couldn't be used. I decided on the iPhone and to be honest, I should have switched a long time ago! The phone works great and there are apps galore. You can even swipe credit cards with the iPhone. If I were you, get the iPhone but wait a month if you can. There is a new one coming out that is faster. There will be a huge software update ok the exsisting phones that will add a lot of really cool features. Also, get the otterbox. It turns the iPhone into nextel type ruggedness
Posted via Mobile Device

bohiaa
06-03-2009, 07:47 AM
yeah I thought about the laptop but man, I know this sound crazy, but thats a big-ass piece of equipment to tote around. all that for a spreadsheet?

I've not considere a nokia, I'll take a look. A few smartphones run window mobile 6.1. I'm all about windows.

Kind of in the same boat, and one of the issues is that a laptop would have to stay in a hot truck for hours on end.

Let us know what you come up with...

LawnBrother
06-03-2009, 10:19 AM
I got a blackberry this year and I love it. Although it is not fully compatible with linux. I use sprint and I get free gps but there are plenty of online map apps that you can use as well. These phones are a powerful tool for a business owner imo.
Posted via Mobile Device

salopez
06-03-2009, 08:26 PM
if you are stuck with ATT the dropping calls is a mute point, you are stuck with crappy att service.

I will second getting a laptop and a pc card.

having lived off a BB, laptop, and phone for 2 years I can tell you that looking at a spreadsheet on a PDA sucks. you get to see about 6 cells at a time.

none of them are rugged, but you can get an Otterbox for the BB which will make it rugged.

mikey.hill
06-03-2009, 08:43 PM
I got a blackberry this year and I love it. Although it is not fully compatible with linux. I use sprint and I get free gps but there are plenty of online map apps that you can use as well. These phones are a powerful tool for a business owner imo.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, the linux thing is kind-of a pain w/ BB but If you're running windows it's great. I have a vmware image of windows running for other reasons and I'm able to access my bb from there, so you might try that. Wish linux had a dedicated solution though. I had an iPhone thru one of the companies I worked for and it was fun, but to really harness it's potential we had to have and iphone developer come in an build us a app, which never really worked in the end. I personally can't wait until android becomes widely available so that existing apps and new apps can quickly be created. Supposedly 20+ handsets running android will be available by the end of the year and they've promised complete compatibility w/ windows/linux/osX.

TexasFire221
06-04-2009, 11:32 AM
I got a iPhone a couple days ago. Its really a awesome toy that just happens to make phone calls too. I have the CC app but havent had a chance to use it. I get emails instantly and just love the phone.

unkownfl
06-05-2009, 12:11 AM
This is what you do. Get a Iphone and jail break it download cydia via internet and tether a net book like a dell mini 9 it is a super small note book. You A. have a phone to instantly check e-mails. B. can use the at&t 3g network with out buying another plan and wireless card. Blackberry is crap I wouldn't even consider it. Check out the new palm pre if you have sprint.

mikey.hill
06-05-2009, 12:40 AM
This is what you do. Get a Iphone and jail break it download cydia via internet and tether a net book like a dell mini 9 it is a super small note book. You A. have a phone to instantly check e-mails. B. can use the at&t 3g network with out buying another plan and wireless card. Blackberry is crap I wouldn't even consider it. Check out the new palm pre if you have sprint.

Great idea if you have the ~400 for the iphone then want to risk jailbreaking it. BB although not so great you can get for around 150(I got mine for 120). I use the 29/month gophone plan with unlimited iNet(20/month) and I'm able to run the gmail app which checks my email constantly and beejive which allows me IM access and also Opera for web access. Downside is no tether ability to my knowledge. BB is not crap, it's just not as user friendly and saves me a crapload of money each month.

Classified
06-05-2009, 07:14 AM
The iPhone is $200 for the 8 gig and $300 for the 16 gig.
Posted via Mobile Device

JDUtah
06-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Sorry this wont relate to you AT&T users...

I'm on T-Mobile and switched from a wing to a G1. LOVE THE PHONE! I text heavily and i love the way it categorizes the texts (same way that email conversations are done in gmail.

With the GPS (a must for my upgrade) I can pull a rout from any position using google maps. Combine the real time gmail email with my estimate form on my website and the gps capabilities on the phone... within 45 seconds of a lead requesting an estimate on my website I can call them back and set up a time to do the bid. No matter where I am at, I can get turn by turn directions to their house instantly. So within a couple minutes of a request from my website I can be on my way to their house.

Think of it.... you are sitting at home or at work:nono and you request a bid online. within 45 seconds someone from that company calls you and says "I can be there in 12 minutes (which they found out form the google map feature) to look over your property. I can meet you there or call you back then to discuss more." ... pretty powerful IMO.

I am still waiting on a (free) GPS navigation app, but it looks like one is on the way (AndNav). Once I get that I will be completely satisfied with the phone. Text to speech turn by turn instructions are great, and it looks like AndNav will have that.

Also, I am an avid hiker and the gps is great for geocaching. The camera is great for pics (duh). I use various apps to time and track my progress on various hikes/runs. I have an Ipod but just use my phone now. And I am starting to get familiar with using a good task management app (andrid). I have noticed a couple static calls, but non dropped so far. I have had the phone for about a month.

If you are on T-mobile, I would recommend this phone for sure!

I personally don't like the BB. I really grew to dislike the wing...

TPnTX
06-05-2009, 07:56 PM
well I'm certainly not going to be using a PDA to do extensive spreadsheet work. The reason I even mention it is because I'd like to have an app that I could enter things into via prompts or cells and generate a quote either as an email or preferably a PDF. Spreadsheet just comes to mind for something like that. Who knows maybe "theres an app for it"

Then I could just email that on the spot to the customer regardless if they are desktop or mobile.

I used have no problem being up on things. It seems I'm lagging a bit on this one. For the first time in my life I've not kept up.

Here is a big concern. I've always had perfect vision. Now at mid 40's I cant see up close worth a damn. Not being used to carrying glasses its a real challange. Having said that. The Iphone is one big display. But the specs say 3.5"

Whats the deal? The Iphone display is a lot bigger than the BB screen correct? like when your using a browser email, GPS what ever.

mikey.hill
06-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Yeah, it's pretty large. There are a couple phones w/ a 5" display but only if you're willing to spend 800+ and carry around what equates to a mini laptop. My BB which my work provides has a 2.5" screen and although it's good enough for me, it was almost hard to get used to. I think apple pretty much maxed out what is realistically possible for a everyday phone.

Classified
06-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Plus the iPhone can zoom in on text. There is just more scrolling
Posted via Mobile Device

WeCare-LawnCare
06-05-2009, 11:00 PM
We use and love the crackberry's.

TPnTX
06-06-2009, 08:32 AM
We use and love the crackberry's.

Yeah but you also use a 94 Mazda 3000 With ramp?

Just kidding. Again I'm a little behind. What is Crackberry. I found the WS is that just a slang name?

Loooogie
06-06-2009, 04:01 PM
I got a iPhone a couple days ago. Its really a awesome toy that just happens to make phone calls too. I have the CC app but havent had a chance to use it. I get emails instantly and just love the phone.

Iphone does not have instant email.

Loooogie
06-06-2009, 04:05 PM
You can accept payment via visa, mastercard, and bank card with the iphone. I still think it is more of a toy than a business phone.

Loooogie
06-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Plus the iPhone can zoom in on text. There is just more scrolling
Posted via Mobile Device

There is no turn by turn gps... and there are other phones that zoom in on text.

mikey.hill
06-06-2009, 06:35 PM

All phones that are java enabled which is almost every smart phone including the iPhone have instant email, google maps(to get turn by turn your phone must be jailbroken). Just goto http://www.google.com/mobile

salopez
06-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Iphone doe not have built in instant email. is has a pull type email just as most brew phones.

the blackberrys and windows based phones have a push email that checks by iteself for email and pushes it out to the phone. you dont need to check for mail like you do with the iphone.

mikey.hill
06-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Iphone doe not have built in instant email. is has a pull type email just as most brew phones.

the blackberrys and windows based phones have a push email that checks by iteself for email and pushes it out to the phone. you dont need to check for mail like you do with the iphone.

That's why I said to get the gmail email client which constantly checks email

Loooogie
06-07-2009, 12:23 AM
All phones that are java enabled which is almost every smart phone including the iPhone have instant email, google maps(to get turn by turn your phone must be jailbroken). Just goto http://www.google.com/mobileI don not want to argue with you but this is what I know...

I have 3 email accounts on my iphone so I know what I am talking about. The iphone gets email 2 ways, none of them are instant. The most common is "fetch" and it will check your email every hour, 30 mins, or 15 mins depending on how you set it up. The iphone has very bad battery life to begin with and if you put it at 15 mins it will kill your battery. The other way is "push" email, the server will send out your emails to your iphone every hour or so, not even gmail(which I have) sends you instant emails.

Yes if you jailbreak the phone you can get a really crappy turn by turn gps but there are a few issues.....

First jailbreaking will void your warranty, slow your phone down and make the phone much less stable. Second the GPS has no preloaded maps that means if you use it you are using your Data/internet to load maps, it means you are killing your battery and using up your expensive data plan. Third the GPS program freezes and gliches all the time, and even if it did work perfectly it is still the worst GPS program out there by a mile, why do you think it is free? Have you used it?

Phones like the nokia N95 have garmin gps with the maps preloaded, it does not use the internet and is smooth as silk!

WeCare-LawnCare
06-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Yeah but you also use a 94 Mazda 3000 With ramp?
And Whats wrong with that?
Just kidding. Again I'm a little behind. What is Crackberry. I found the WS is that just a slang name?Crackberry slang for Blackberry

mikey.hill
06-07-2009, 01:07 AM
I don not want to argue with you but this is what I know...

I have 3 email accounts on my iphone so I know what I am talking about. The iphone gets email 2 ways, none of them are instant. The most common is "fetch" and it will check your email every hour, 30 mins, or 15 mins depending on how you set it up. The iphone has very bad battery life to begin with and if you put it at 15 mins it will kill your battery. The other way is "push" email, the server will send out your emails to your iphone every hour or so, not even gmail(which I have) sends you instant emails.

Yes if you jailbreak the phone you can get a really crappy turn by turn gps but there are a few issues.....

First jailbreaking will void your warranty, slow your phone down and make the phone much less stable. Second the GPS has no preloaded maps that means if you use it you are using your Data/internet to load maps, it means you are killing your battery and using up your expensive data plan. Third the GPS program freezes and gliches all the time, and even if it did work perfectly it is still the worst GPS program out there by a mile, why do you think it is free? Have you used it?

Phones like the nokia N95 have garmin gps with the maps preloaded, it does not use the internet and is smooth as silk!

Have you used the gmail app? The one you download from google? I had it and it checked my email constantly as in about once every few minutes or so - never had an issue getting email immediately. So its as instant as if you were running something like thunderbird(my local machine checks every 5 minutes i think). It wasn't bad on my battery life and I had two email addresses setup. 1 my main gmail and the second a google docs address. I also left my phone plugged in quite a bit so maybe that's why I didn't notice the battery drain.

Yes jailbreaking will void the warranty, but that's something that some of us techie guys are willing to deal with. And also, there have been a lot of instances where apple replaced the phone anyways. It never happened to me however. The new BB's that I got had to be modified to work the way i needed it to. It voided it, but if something happens I'll just get a new one and do the same thing. There is no point in having a piece of equipment that you can't use the way you want it to because someone says you can't.

mikey.hill
06-07-2009, 01:09 AM
I don not want to argue with you but this is what I know...

I said instant but didn't mean exactly that. The only time I've had instant email anywhere was with the actual gmail browser app and that only applies when it's going to/from another gmail address. Instant as in I get it very quickly and am notified of it.

TPnTX
06-09-2009, 08:15 AM
the domain? of my email address is pointed at a yahoo email. Been doing that for years. I have no reason to use outlook or any other email app on my desktop.

So, I've assumed this whole time that when I get a smartphone, it needs a good browser and bam! problem solved.

Any thing I need to know regarding the doablity of that?

mikey.hill
06-09-2009, 09:38 PM
If all you're looking for is a good browser I would suggest Opera ... from you phone just goto mobile.opera.com and it should fix you up. It doesn't play flash(that I know of) but they use their own servers to get content to you which compresses it a certain way == really fast mobile browser. I'm able to load up my favorite sites almost as fast as if I was at home.

lawnangel1
06-10-2009, 05:40 PM
I had an iphone and loved it because of all the cool features but then it became very unreliable. The final straw was that I was out plowing and it went dead for no reason and I couldn't communicate with the guys. I ended up going to a 24hr wal mart and buying a trac phone for the night. The next day I went to att and got the moto q global.Doesn't have all the bells and whistles but is much more reliable and much more business friendly.

Green Pastures
06-10-2009, 06:07 PM
I had a BB Storm for a few months around Christman time in 08'.

HATED it!

Broke my contract with Verizon to go to A T & T for the iPhone and....

I LOVE IT.

I cannot say enough good about the iPhone itself and the service from A T & T is very good.

TPnTX
06-11-2009, 07:27 AM
A friend loaned me a Palm Treo, got it yesterday.

First thing I've got to get used to is, all this stuff gets in the way of it being a phone.

I really like the windows mobile.

The browser/screen is like looking through a straw.

mikey.hill
06-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Alright, comparison of phones here:
http://fortuneapple20.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/3615683376_422978a68e_o.png

Supper Grassy
06-11-2009, 03:19 PM
A friend loaned me a Palm Treo, got it yesterday.

First thing I've got to get used to is, all this stuff gets in the way of it being a phone.

I really like the windows mobile.

The browser/screen is like looking through a straw.

what service provider is the treo?
also you may want to look for an aluminum case for it (very durable)

I am looking to get the internet for my phone but want to see if its worth it... i have some questions.
Do you visit any other forums than LS? if so can you reply to them

STRINGALATION
06-11-2009, 03:22 PM
I THINK POUND FOR POUND IT DEPEMD ON WHAT YOU DO

1. i use my regular cell phone for the obvious
2.i use my laptop for anything i need to generate and it is wireless and it stays in my truck in its case and have not had a heat issue
3. and my ipod touch is for portable photos, calender,contacts,status, games, and the music in my truck i just unplug and go i bought a kit where it is always charging in my truck or i can plug it in a wall socket or usb
i say alll that because if something goes down i dont lose evrything. i dont like all my eggs in one basket. i love the mini laptops but i use my graphics program in front of customers so a big screen helps and i like cd-rom drives. i know i can jumpdrive things in but i like games aswell so i need a drive.

ooh and i have walkie talkies. i'm into fail-safe types of things

Supper Grassy
06-11-2009, 03:26 PM
I THINK POUND FOR POUND IT DEPEMD ON WHAT YOU DO

1. i use my regular cell phone for the obvious
2.i use my laptop for anything i need to generate and it is wireless and it stays in my truck in its case and have not had a heat issue
3. and my ipod touch is for portable photos, calender,contacts,status, games, and the music in my truck i just unplug and go i bought a kit where it is always charging in my truck or i can plug it in a wall socket or usb
i say alll that because if something goes down i dont lose evrything. i dont like all my eggs in one basket. i love the mini laptops but i use my graphics program in front of customers so a big screen helps and i like cd-rom drives. i know i can jumpdrive things in but i like games aswell so i need a drive.

ooh and i have walkie talkies. i'm into fail-safe types of things

what kind of laptop?

TPnTX
06-16-2009, 05:22 AM
Okay i broke down and bought an Iphone. Forget all the spreadsheet crap. I'll get a Notebook eventually for that.

Iphone is the betch. Great phone, big screen, Excellent internet all the way around.

A few days ago I couldn't imagine running a business withou a mobile phone. As of right now I can't imagine running a business with out a PDA/Internet.

BTW regarding a Notebook. I find so many WiFi spots now that I'm carrying the Iphone. So a Notebook IMO would be fine if all it had was a WIFI network link.

If you are in a neihborhood and you find a home owner WIFI chances are they haven't changed the default password. "admin"

On a non professional note; I got stuck in traffic on a major Interstate intown. 45 mins no way out. What do you think I did? And no I don't mean look at porn and please spare us the handsfree device wisecracks. :laugh:

TPnTX
06-16-2009, 05:27 AM
I was talking to this guy the other day and he told me that he doesn't carry a smartphone anymore. His teenage daughter picked his up she found where a bunch of porn had been accessed. He said he threw the phone on the concrete and ran over it 5 times with the truck to convince his daughter the he wasn't doing that and it's inappropriate.

I just kinda looked at him thinking, Wow made your case didn't you.

STRINGALATION
06-16-2009, 07:24 AM
i got an acer from staples. i say check and try and get one that you can expand the ram up to 4 gig when you want

ooohh and i'm big on locks and pass codes porn is out there
:nono::nono:

TPnTX
06-16-2009, 08:32 AM
I am confised about something else though.

When I borrowed the Palm Treo I called and had the internet activated on ATT. She asked for the IM number and since I was on the phone I wasn't able to give it to her. I was to call back. Anyway she put me on the 10.00/month plan.

I tried to call them back but was on terminal hold so I blow it off.

I stayed on the 10.00 plan and didn't care for it at all. Everything was a mobile version.

So now with ATT Iphone, Anything blackberry, Palm, Smart phone or "PDA" is required to have the 30.00/per month.

I assumed that phones which allow the 10.00/per month plan would only get the mobile version of website which over all suck.

I just talked to someone who has a LG at 10/month and can select full or mobile.

WTF? anyone care to clarify this.

salopez
06-16-2009, 05:35 PM
FYI using a WIFI network without permission is a major major, oh yes major Federal Crime!

They are prosecuting people under Rico and terrorism and stalking laws.

do not use ADMIN to hack into a wifi. get yourself a PC Card and pay for legit Internet! the court costs just arent worth it!

mikey.hill
06-16-2009, 05:55 PM
FYI using a WIFI network without permission is a major major, oh yes major Federal Crime!

They are prosecuting people under Rico and terrorism and stalking laws.

do not use ADMIN to hack into a wifi. get yourself a PC Card and pay for legit Internet! the court costs just arent worth it!

That's a bunch of BS. It may be a crime but no-one is being charged with this unless they commit a MAJOR crime like downloading kiddy porn or hacking into a secured network - which are very rarely traceable anyways. It's understood in the IT community that all wireless networks are basically open to the public - and trust me they are. WPA, WEP are fundamentally flawed and it takes all of about a minute to get the wireless password. If you don't want people using your network, don't use wireless. I've got a guy on my local wireless network right now that i've been screwing with the past few days(you can do some fun stuff like turn their screen upside down when they try to browse the interweb). I don't really care because I know that there is no possibility of keeping people off of it. This brings up another point, if you're using someone's wireless, don't shop on amazon or login to something you want to stay private :)

Dadto4
06-16-2009, 06:34 PM
It's understood in the IT community that all wireless networks are basically open to the public - and trust me they are. WPA, WEP are fundamentally flawed and it takes all of about a minute to get the wireless password. If you don't want people using your network, don't use wireless. I've got a guy on my local wireless network right now that i've been screwing with the past few days(you can do some fun stuff like turn their screen upside down when they try to browse the interweb). I don't really care because I know that there is no possibility of keeping people off of it. This brings up another point, if you're using someone's wireless, don't shop on amazon or login to something you want to stay private :)

In a sense, it's true that all wireless networks are "open to the public" but it is still a crime to piggy-back off of someone else's wireless signal. At a minimum it would be considered theft of service since you are using their service without their permission.........in other words, unethical hacking. I'm not saying that I haven't used someone's wifi without their permission but I definitely wouldn't be doing anything other than ckecking out maps or something like that on the web. There are ways to make your wifi more secure and to the point to where it would take someone literally YEARS to break the encryption but for the kiddie-hacker, it wouldn't be worth his time to try to hack your network. For my wireless at home, I use the WPA2 with PSK encryption. It's a 64 bit encryption and would take someone much more time than they'd be willing to spend just to check out porn.

As for the laptop, check out the Acer netbook, yes, a netbook, NOT a notebook. You can get a 8.9" or 10.1" screen and the 6-cell battery life should be anywhere from 6-9 hours, depending on how you use it. Check out Newegg.com, TigerDirect.com or Geeks.com. You can pick one up for right around $330. Last week, Newegg had them for $279 (I should've bought one then). They have a 1.6G processor, 1G RAM, 120-160G HD and for you MAC users, you can load OSx on it but it takes a little more work to make it work.........but it will. Sweet deal and I've had my Acer notebook for a few years now and never had any problems with it, other than an occassional virus........due to some "ethical hacking". ;)

mikey.hill
06-16-2009, 07:54 PM
In a sense, it's true that all wireless networks are "open to the public" but it is still a crime to piggy-back off of someone else's wireless signal. At a minimum it would be considered theft of service since you are using their service without their permission.........in other words, unethical hacking. I'm not saying that I haven't used someone's wifi without their permission but I definitely wouldn't be doing anything other than ckecking out maps or something like that on the web. There are ways to make your wifi more secure and to the point to where it would take someone literally YEARS to break the encryption but for the kiddie-hacker, it wouldn't be worth his time to try to hack your network. For my wireless at home, I use the WPA2 with PSK encryption. It's a 64 bit encryption and would take someone much more time than they'd be willing to spend just to check out porn.

I'm not arguing it's illegal b/c it is. I'm just saying it's like drinking a beer at the park(illegal where I live). No-one really cares as long as your not causing a problem - even the cops could care less. Now, like this guy that's on my network now. If he starts to take all my bandwidth to the point I can't work, he's cutoff.

Now - the WPA(PSK) - You've been misiformed and this is one of the many problems of people using wireless - they think it's secure. Despite what the creators of wireless and the router/client card producers say, it's a joke in the IT world. Even with the strongest encryption available and an unimaginably long password ANY WIRELESS can be cracked in under 2 minutes. It doesn't matter how secure you think it is - The group in charge of issuing standards for wireless producers screwed up big time and left a huge hole open that is beyond being patched. This has nothing to do with the actual encryption but is a problem with how the information is exchanged. If you don't believe me do a google search for 'backtrack hacking wpa' and check out some of the videos or documentation. Backtrack is an entire linux distribution dedicated solely to pen testing('security testing for networks') It includes all the tools needed to do this and can be downloaded freely. My 8 year old brother just discovered this and has turned my moms router into a central access point for all the neighbors routers and then uses everyones bandwidth to download torrents at a extremely high rate.

Dadto4
06-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Despite what the creators of wireless and the router/client card producers say, it's a joke in the IT world. Even with the strongest encryption available and an unimaginably long password ANY WIRELESS can be cracked in under 2 minutes. It doesn't matter how secure you think it is - The group in charge of issuing standards for wireless producers screwed up big time and left a huge hole open that is beyond being patched. This has nothing to do with the actual encryption but is a problem with how the information is exchanged. If you don't believe me do a google search for 'backtrack hacking wpa' and check out some of the videos or documentation. Backtrack is an entire linux distribution dedicated solely to pen testing('security testing for networks') It includes all the tools needed to do this and can be downloaded freely. My 8 year old brother just discovered this and has turned my moms router into a central access point for all the neighbors routers and then uses everyones bandwidth to download torrents at a extremely high rate.

While I won't disagree that wireless security is a joke, I will disagree with the statement that WPA-PSK is "easily cracked". If I'm running WPA2 with AES, it is a 128 bit key that would literally take years to crack. I'll check out the videos tonight when I get home but agree to disagree until then. I know that Linux has better hacking tools than any other platform out there. I'm running Ubuntu on one partition and the tools for Linux are MUCH better but I still don't believe that a 128bit key can be cracked in minutes. The only way to crack WPA2 w/AES, that I'm aware of at the moment, is a brute-force attack and that will take much more time than most people are willing to spend and will move on to easier pickings, like WEP. Hope your brother doesn't get caught doing what he's doing or mom could be in a little hot water.

mikey.hill
06-16-2009, 09:53 PM
While I won't disagree that wireless security is a joke, I will disagree with the statement that WPA-PSK is "easily cracked". If I'm running WPA2 with AES, it is a 128 bit key that would literally take years to crack. I'll check out the videos tonight when I get home but agree to disagree until then. I know that Linux has better hacking tools than any other platform out there. I'm running Ubuntu on one partition and the tools for Linux are MUCH better but I still don't believe that a 128bit key can be cracked in minutes. The only way to crack WPA2 w/AES, that I'm aware of at the moment, is a brute-force attack and that will take much more time than most people are willing to spend and will move on to easier pickings, like WEP. Hope your brother doesn't get caught doing what he's doing or mom could be in a little hot water.

That's the thing it's not cracking the encryption, it's cracking the handshake. When your wireless card decides to connect to a router, lets say it's wpa(aes). The wireless password is sent encrypted to your wireless card so they can be checked against each other. That one encrypted handshake would be impossible to decrypt like you were saying so what the tools out there do is they increase the number of handshakes from 1 to connect to a router to somethink along the range of 500,000 - 1mil. For each handshake the probability of a program being able to crack the password increases by an infinitly increasing ratio until the 500K mark it's basically trivial for a decrypt algorythim like rainbow tables (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_table) to know exactly what the password is. It's all based on probability and that's where WPA and WEP fail - the user is in control of the probability factor.

ohiogreenworks
06-16-2009, 10:07 PM
I have a nextel blackberry and i'm very happy with the phone. I can recieve and send e-mail instantly it also have gps, excel, word, powerpoint. I also think Nextel is the way to go, direct connect is extreamly fast and easy. The web browser is also great. I couldn't tell you haw many times i've had to look something up or a number. I also have the weaher on my phone so I can keep and eye on incoming storms.....Great in the winter for plowing....I would recommend the blackberry to anyone.....GOOD LUCK

Dallas Turf
06-18-2009, 09:07 PM
I am confised about something else though.

When I borrowed the Palm Treo I called and had the internet activated on ATT. She asked for the IM number and since I was on the phone I wasn't able to give it to her. I was to call back. Anyway she put me on the 10.00/month plan.

I tried to call them back but was on terminal hold so I blow it off.

I stayed on the 10.00 plan and didn't care for it at all. Everything was a mobile version.

So now with ATT Iphone, Anything blackberry, Palm, Smart phone or "PDA" is required to have the 30.00/per month.

I assumed that phones which allow the 10.00/per month plan would only get the mobile version of website which over all suck.

I just talked to someone who has a LG at 10/month and can select full or mobile.

WTF? anyone care to clarify this.

So the screen is big enough to call me bt accident:waving:

TPnTX
06-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Yep Jason got that under control now:) It's was nice to talk to by accident though lol

Dallas Turf
06-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Tom,

No problem call whenever.

I found this thread interesting, as I have been facing the same dilemma.

Post-it notes can only keep you so organized.

Was hoping for a stand alone pda, but they have pretty much disappeared with the smart phones.

Have not found a good way to sync data from outlook from a laptop to a desk top just in case one gets fried.

I am pretty rough on my phone and have to admit it gets dropped daily.

Keep me posted on how the I phone holds up.

Frontier-Lawn
06-20-2009, 11:44 AM
I gotta get with the program. I'm tired of calling back to the office for info.

My needs in priority order are:

Cell phone
Email
Browser
GPS
excel type app.
camera(I don't mind carrying the camera that I have)

Somewhere in there is...ruggedness if that exists. I'm not much on texting but I figure the works on any of them.

What I really want is to not loose anything as far as cell phone signal. I have to get to email. I want the screen to be usable with a the browser and I'd really like to be able to enter a few item into a spreadsheet type app to generate quote in the field that I could turn around and instantly email to the customer as we speak.

So considering all that what does everyone have ? I think the Iphone has the biggest screen but I don't know...theres a lot of blackberry fans out there too.

for starters what cell company do you have now?

TexasFire221
06-20-2009, 12:33 PM

I guess im not understanding. What do you mean instant email?

salopez
06-20-2009, 06:30 PM
instant as in you dont have to retrieve it. you look down and you have a new email. its called push.

when you have to log in and check for email its call pull since you have to pull it up.

iphone doesnt have push email for consumers yet. they are just getting it for corp accounts.

Stonewall
07-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Do any of the smartphones have the capability with gps to walk around the perimeter of a property and calculate the area?

mikey.hill
07-23-2009, 12:18 AM
Do any of the smartphones have the capability with gps to walk around the perimeter of a property and calculate the area?

Nope... GPS is completely inaccurate and can be off by miles if the cloud/atmospheric conditions are out of wack. However, my g/f's father is an estimator for a company that does metal roofs. The way he does it is he's figured out a scale for google maps(err. he uses google earth). He just measures it out to figure the dimensions and makes most of his estimates based on that.

tradeyouraccounts
07-23-2009, 12:30 AM
Some of the new features on the Iphone operating system 3.0 update have been handy. Now you can copy and paste text and stream music to a blue tooth headset which wasn’t available prior to the update. Great for listening to Pandora while outside working.

Roger
07-23-2009, 09:45 PM
.... The way he does it is he's figured out a scale for google maps(err. he uses google earth). He just measures it out to figure the dimensions and makes most of his estimates based on that.

The no-cost copy of Google Earth has a linear ruler. With mouse clicks, it will tell you the linear distance between two points as you drag your mouse. It is incredibly accurate. Using the side lengths, you can find area of regular shapes. In these parts, however, no property has regular shapes! But, Google Earth is just as good as site measurements for linear distances. No recognition is made for sloping terrain, so be careful.

The first level of pay-for-use Google Earth includes an area calculator -- or so I understand from the description. I do not have a copy. In my no-cost version, the icons are on the bar, but they do not work. If I did much area estimating, I would pay for the next level. I think it is something like $25, but am not sure.

Frontier-Lawn
07-23-2009, 09:49 PM
well i just got my palm pre today via ups, nice phone to replace the htc pro i have but the pre wont work on my plan i have so i have to send it back :cry:

mikey.hill
07-24-2009, 02:43 PM
For those of you that thought processing CC's on the iPhone was a good idea you might want to think again. I've said it before and now it's been confirmed that iphone encryption is a joke which puts any communication, data or otherwise, at risk to be intercepted.
Article:: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/07/iphone-encryption/

mikey.hill
07-30-2009, 06:18 PM
For those iPhone/Windows Mobile(android had the same bug but it's been patched) users out there here's a tidbit of info to make you rethink your security. Currently it is not known how it works other than a series of text mssgs is sent opening up the phone for remote control.

From the article:
"This is serious. The only thing you can do to prevent it is turn off your phone. Someone could pretty quickly take over every iPhone in the world with this."

http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/28/hackers-iphone-apple-technology-security-hackers.html

LawnGuy73
08-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Go with Sprint (Nextel) blackberry.

Classified
08-09-2009, 07:15 PM
For those iPhone/Windows Mobile(android had the same bug but it's been patched) users out there here's a tidbit of info to make you rethink your security. Currently it is not known how it works other than a series of text mssgs is sent opening up the phone for remote control.

From the article:
"This is serious. The only thing you can do to prevent it is turn off your phone. Someone could pretty quickly take over every iPhone in the world with this."

http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/28/hackers-iphone-apple-technology-security-hackers.html

Just for those that have or do not have an iPhone yet, apple just realeased the security fix so this no longer is a threat.