PDA

View Full Version : Checking my price for a sod job

Bass1
06-03-2009, 08:05 PM
I have 250 sq ft of sod to install at a apartment complex, this is what my estimate is I was going to check and see if you all think this is to high?

250sqft @ .80 to install= $200.00
3 hours of prep @ $50.00= $150.00
Total of $350.00 plus topsoil

doug1980
06-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Does that include the price of the sod.

MileHigh
06-03-2009, 09:30 PM
I sounds good to me.

The 80 cents a sqft includes the sod I assume.

Top Soil is cheap, I would throw that in to make it look like the customer is getting a good deal.

Bass1
06-03-2009, 09:51 PM
No they are buying the sod, I was going to charge them 3 hours @ $50.00hr for the prep work, tilling and laying out the topsoil, and also I was going to charge them $.80sqft to lay the sod out. I hope I am pricing this correctly, I do not have to turn the estimate in till the 10th, so I am trying to get this right so I don't screw them or myself.

ed2hess
06-03-2009, 11:12 PM
I see guys going thru this tilling thing in our area and I don't get it. We simply take a weedeater and cut whatever is there down and rake it up. Then I cut a little trench around the outside parameter with a flat shovel so new sod wont' be higher than the other grass. It should take a lot less than an hour to prepare and 30 minutes to lay the sod.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
06-03-2009, 11:19 PM
If you get $200 to lay that you better do a happy dance all the way to the bank. Here I get $100 for a 50 yard pallet (does not include price for the sod). Like said above, whole job would take us less the an hour.

Bass1
06-05-2009, 03:39 PM
I thought this was a good price but i wanted to check, I have not done but two installs. Thanks for all the help.

RAlmaroad
06-05-2009, 07:03 PM
A rule of business is that price equals quality. I took a grass trimmer in today for a carb job. Kit was $15 and $60 to install it. Sign on the wall was Labor--$88/hour.
Keep in mind that it takes as much effort to lay a pallet of sod as it does a 1/2 pallet. I hire labor at $80/pallet to lay sod. So, your price is OK. Why don't you see if your client will put in irrigation to insure that the sod lives. Without proper water, I will not put down any sod. If it is not irrigated, get something on the contract that states that in case it dies from lack of water then you will not be liable or be responsible for a re-install which would doom your profit margin.

terrapro
06-08-2009, 08:24 AM
I see guys going thru this tilling thing in our area and I don't get it. We simply take a weedeater and cut whatever is there down and rake it up. Then I cut a little trench around the outside parameter with a flat shovel so new sod wont' be higher than the other grass. It should take a lot less than an hour to prepare and 30 minutes to lay the sod.

That "tilling thing" is the proper way to prepare and install sod. The difference is the quality.

Does your way work? Probably sometimes. Does that mean you should do it that way? No.

To the original poster- Why are you charging a flat $.80 per? Why dont you just continue with your hourly rate then there won't be any surprises for you and the customer?

Stillwater
06-08-2009, 10:31 AM

WHAT? does this say what I think it says... Hess lawns preps sod jobs with weedwackers? Does- ah- this- ah .... am I missing something

White Gardens
06-08-2009, 11:21 AM

I've seen that done.

Now I get to go in and rip out a lawn that someone did that. The HO is upset and felt like she got taken for a ride.