PDA

View Full Version : Stihl FS 36 Fuel Leak and Vibration

mkw87
06-03-2009, 10:04 PM
I have a Stihl FS 36 line trimmer that leaks gas when it is sitting not running. It does not leak enough for me to tell where it is coming from or even make the floor below it wet, but it is enough to make my garage smell strongly of gas. I tried tearing it apart but I cannot get the back half of the cover off (the white part) even though I removed the 4 star bolts. Any tips on this? I see where there is a groove on the bottom and tried prying all around with a screw driver but could not find what it was catching on....it acts like its barely loose.

Also, the thing runs great, but it vibrates an awful lot, any ideas on how to find the source of this vibration? The head spins fine by hand so I don't think that is the problem and you can tell the vibration is coming from the motor end of the trimmer.

wildncrazyguy
06-05-2009, 10:19 AM
You have to take the air filter cover/choke thing off, 1 screw, and under there, there's 2 bolts that run through the carb to hold it secure, but it also holds the trimmer back on along with the 4 screws you already took off. No need to pry anythin unless you want to break it.

The vibration is probably crankcase bearings. I just replaced mine, which is how I know, and it seemed much, much better, but I've got still a little movement in the crankshaft, so I must have not got them all seated exactly right or something, but it does now run pretty good for an 18 year old...

Good luck. Bearings cost me 12.00 a piece (2) on ebay, plus shipping. But at the time they were the only ones I found. Dealer wanted like 50.00 for them, and of coarse he wanted to do the work, but then, I could've had a brand new trimmer by then.

mkw87
06-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Thank you for the tip. I was looking for other bolts but it was late at night and the lighting in my garage isn't the best. I'll probably tear it this evening and hopefully the fuel leak is just a loose hose or a small crack - something easy to fix :) I'll look into getting new bearings for it too.

mountainbike00
08-28-2010, 10:28 PM
I know this is an old post however I just joined and maybe this will help someone else out. If you hang the trimmer from the wall engine up you will loose fuel out the vent (vent is on the front side of the shroud) that Stihl had a problem with. Solution: Hang trimmer essentially upside down, with cutting head and deflector high and motor low and most of the time it will solve the problem.

mkw87
08-29-2010, 09:15 PM
I know this is an old post however I just joined and maybe this will help someone else out. If you hang the trimmer from the wall engine up you will loose fuel out the vent (vent is on the front side of the shroud) that Stihl had a problem with. Solution: Hang trimmer essentially upside down, with cutting head and deflector high and motor low and most of the time it will solve the problem.

Interesting......if this would have been my main trimmer it's how it would have been hanging, but I always kept it on the floor. The shaft stripped out where it connects to the motor so I gave it away to someone to fix and keep.