PDA

View Full Version : New Business Tips....

summerlovins0b
06-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Hey yall I am currently in the process of getting my own landscaping business off the ground and up and running. I have about 5 years exp. I :cool2:am 25 and have just been bored with the working inside lifestyle. I love the outdoors and love making peoples yards look great. So I write this just to ask if any of you savy vets have any tips for the young green horn entering into the this great business that you could lay on me. Especially the sorts of equipment I should consider using to start out with I have the basics already but I am just curious how you guys started and ended up building your business any tips or suggestions would be great especially how to get some customers in my pocket lol.

:cool2:
Thanks yall

J & D Greens
06-07-2009, 02:54 AM
Hi there,
I hope you are ready for a lot of hard work during hot summer days. This is my third year running my part time service. I have plenty of experience working in this field but not running my own business. It is a little humbling when you work for your self. Yet very rewarding also, even though I am only servicing 20 accounts along side my full-time job I feel this will be a very good year for me and my wife (she runs the books and trays to advise me on what I can afford to spend and take on.) I had tried to do this 20 years ago and it was way to much for us at the time. But with medical debt and the economy the way it is I decided to go into this line of work again. This time we approached things a little differently. One thing was I did not want to be running all over creation for work, so we targeted a area of about five miles around where I live. After the first year was done I was at 15 accounts. I just handed out fliers in the area, ( they simply said--- Summer is coming and just think very soon you will have to mow your yard every week! or You can have us do it. reasonable prices.) The thing is the first year we only wanted that many accounts so we only past out flyer's in one corner of my mapped out area. I was trying to stay at 15 but that is near impossible. People are always stopping by and asking if I'm taking on new customers. I am only up to 20 because I only consider houses that are at my current stops so I'm not loading up to mow another place. Many are 3 houses at one location. The second thing we did was pay cash for every thing no credit at all. So far I have not bought any new equipment. All used and either in great shape when I purchased them or something I know I can fix (cheap enough to take a chance on fixing). I also sold off all my mowers from the first 2 years. They were in good shape but home owners versions of the Toro pro-lines and not heavy duty enough for me. I have been lucky enough to find a 2-stroke 21" pro-line and a Ex-mark 21" fixer upper. Buying new equipment would cause me to depreciate it out. That would be OK if I was doing the 100 accounts a year and had invested 25 Grand. but that is what I am planning for in the future. I really hope that by the time I am ready to retire from my full-time job. We will have learned enough business wise to push forward with going after those 100 accounts. I hope that you can take it a little slow at first and bid your prices higher than the next guy next to you ( let the quality of your work show your customer's what you are all about). Because if you don't it will come back to haunt you. Good luck and I hope that this will be a very rewarding experience for you. David