PDA

View Full Version : Ryall Landscaping

Ryall Landscaping
06-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Hey. I'm Tim. I'm 17 years old, and am co-running a business with a close friend of mine, Kip.

We're doing this mostly as a summer thing, but we're both open to see where it goes. If we can establish some customers, we would more than likely be interested in expanding.

We're both brand new to the landscaping business. My father owns a construction company, so I am not exactly new to the self-employment thing, but other than how to mow a lawn and weedwack, I'm not too knowledgeable about this field of work.

I'm really excited to see where this takes us. :)

DLAWNS
06-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Welcome to the site. My best advice to you is to read as much as possible on here. There is so much great info. And don't be afraid to ask questions.

Ryall Landscaping
06-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Welcome to the site. My best advice to you is to read as much as possible on here. There is so much great info. And don't be afraid to ask questions.

Thanks. Yeah there is an overabundance of information. Ive been reading a lot. I think the hardest thing for me right now is knowing how to come up with estimates, especially on things Ive never done before. I need to find something to help with that lol.

DLAWNS
06-14-2009, 11:09 AM
I hear ya. There is a little bit of a learning curve with estimates. A lot of trial and error. Another way that I did things was to network with other local companies and talking to everyone. A lot of times if you make friends with other small lawn companies you an help each other out. I used to ask my local Lesco guy tons of questions about pricing also.

Ryall Landscaping
06-17-2009, 11:53 PM
I hear ya. There is a little bit of a learning curve with estimates. A lot of trial and error. Another way that I did things was to network with other local companies and talking to everyone. A lot of times if you make friends with other small lawn companies you an help each other out. I used to ask my local Lesco guy tons of questions about pricing also.

Well. I called a well-known landscaper around here pretending to be a customer in order to come up with a decent estimate on some work. Ended up that he does not do some of it, but it was a good starting point.

However, I feel bad doing that because I am wasting his time. =\

TurfTrimmer 92
06-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Welcome to the site and i hope everything works out. and as DLAWNS said trial and error and try to get some other company friends to help you out when you need and you help them when they need. But good luck this summer.:usflag:

-Bill

Ryall Landscaping
06-18-2009, 02:15 AM
Welcome to the site and i hope everything works out. and as DLAWNS said trial and error and try to get some other company friends to help you out when you need and you help them when they need. But good luck this summer.:usflag:

-Bill

Yeah. It'd be nice to have someone to help out and be helped from..But I'm going to simply see what happens. If something comes my way, or I find myself meeting someone, then perhaps that could happen. But I don't know how else to go about that, so I'll leave it be lol.

bigmudder77
06-21-2009, 06:52 PM
ok from what i found out when i started from alot of people on here is never start a company with a friend they will screw you up cause you wont have the same ideas and you will run it to the ground to sum it up for you

and the best thing to do to get an average price is call 2-4 big companys around you depending on the size of your town and stuff they will give you a good idea on how much they charge and if there big like the ones around here the owner hardly does any of the work he just goes out and gets more accounts so dont feel bad about wasting there time but dont call them out to different places just to see what every place would be

and get good ins i had 1 million coverage with mine

but make sure its a thing you wanna do and follow through with cause most ins companys make you pay for the full year even if you go out in a month

from what i learned that make sure you always have a back up mower most people dont care if your mower breaks down they want there grass cut and if you dont have your mower fixed in time they will leave you and go to some one else

and some people are just a pain to deal with if you mow and do a good job (really do a good job) and they pick out like the little things like there is a blade of grass in there drive way on your like first mow its a good idea to do what they want then say your sorry but you cant mow for them any more cause over the weeks it will get worse i had a lady like that i mean her house was old and run down and she was worried about her grass drive way getting blades of grass in the little gravel she had just a pain and after 3 cuts i told her i couldnt mow for her any more and i was sorry just not worth the crap to go through trying to get her ran down house and lawn perfect

but for the most part alot of the people i had were older people that were happy with my work and told alot of there friends about me and i got more accounts

but after 2 years people with a truck and a mower were doing yards for $5-10 when i was charging $25 min and that was hardly making me any money so i got out of mowing and im gonna start plowing this next winter full time again i did it for one year and didnt get many people but started it again last year just for a few people and i was getting alot of calls about plowing so im gonna try to get more people and see how it goes

the good thing is i got alot of cheap pumps and plows last summer and got them rebuilt and have 4 e-60 meyers and 2 e47 meyers and a couple westerns as back up

cause its always good to have back up stuff i carry a tool box with me and 2 extra pumps at all time cause never know when one will give out and then your stuck cause if you cant pick up the plow you need to call a tow truck or take the blade off and put it in the back of the truck which that gets old

Bigguy500
06-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Welcome to the site!! Good luck with your business!!

Ryall Landscaping
06-21-2009, 09:40 PM
ok from what i found out when i started from alot of people on here is never start a company with a friend they will screw you up cause you wont have the same ideas and you will run it to the ground to sum it up for you

and the best thing to do to get an average price is call 2-4 big companys around you depending on the size of your town and stuff they will give you a good idea on how much they charge and if there big like the ones around here the owner hardly does any of the work he just goes out and gets more accounts so dont feel bad about wasting there time but dont call them out to different places just to see what every place would be

and get good ins i had 1 million coverage with mine

but make sure its a thing you wanna do and follow through with cause most ins companys make you pay for the full year even if you go out in a month

from what i learned that make sure you always have a back up mower most people dont care if your mower breaks down they want there grass cut and if you dont have your mower fixed in time they will leave you and go to some one else

and some people are just a pain to deal with if you mow and do a good job (really do a good job) and they pick out like the little things like there is a blade of grass in there drive way on your like first mow its a good idea to do what they want then say your sorry but you cant mow for them any more cause over the weeks it will get worse i had a lady like that i mean her house was old and run down and she was worried about her grass drive way getting blades of grass in the little gravel she had just a pain and after 3 cuts i told her i couldnt mow for her any more and i was sorry just not worth the crap to go through trying to get her ran down house and lawn perfect

but for the most part alot of the people i had were older people that were happy with my work and told alot of there friends about me and i got more accounts

but after 2 years people with a truck and a mower were doing yards for $5-10 when i was charging $25 min and that was hardly making me any money so i got out of mowing and im gonna start plowing this next winter full time again i did it for one year and didnt get many people but started it again last year just for a few people and i was getting alot of calls about plowing so im gonna try to get more people and see how it goes

the good thing is i got alot of cheap pumps and plows last summer and got them rebuilt and have 4 e-60 meyers and 2 e47 meyers and a couple westerns as back up

cause its always good to have back up stuff i carry a tool box with me and 2 extra pumps at all time cause never know when one will give out and then your stuck cause if you cant pick up the plow you need to call a tow truck or take the blade off and put it in the back of the truck which that gets old

If it's a horrible idea to have a partner w/ me..How do I go about seperating us some? I feel like I do more work anyways..I take all the calls, run out do all the estimates, invoices, etc etc. and do the work..and he just kind of tags along to do work. However, he did help me w/ a good bit of advertising, so I don't want to just seperate lol.

Insurance seems awfully expensive for the whole 2 1/2 months (if that) that I'll be working. :\

Welcome to the site!! Good luck with your business!!

Thanks man :)!

bigmudder77
06-21-2009, 11:54 PM
ya but you hit a rock or stick through some ones window they can sue you for every thing you got and well i didnt wanna take the risk nothing happened when i was mower but never know

hit a rock or stick at some ones car and cause an accident (your at fault) and both partys can go after you

trust me never know and its worth it mine was only $400 for the year for million on libility and $100,000 on any thing on the trailer or theft or damage

ya thats high and ya i had truck ins that would of coverered the trailer and what was on it but i didnt wanna take the risk of them saying no your truck ins dont cover whats on the trailer even though they told me it did on the phone i didnt see it in the info they sent about my ins plan

and as far as going about getting rid of him im not sure it might make you loose a friend but id say here is the money spend here is the money made here is what your gonna need to pay or here is your take depending if your making money after all the bills come in yet

i never had a partner with any of my business's and no family mostly cause we use to have a nice farm when i was growing up and my dad and my uncle (dads brother) ran it and well they didnt see eye to eye and ran it to the ground and had to sell out sucks but whatever i learned from that its always better to have one owner and some good people to help or do it all your self lol

Ryall Landscaping
06-22-2009, 01:16 AM
ya but you hit a rock or stick through some ones window they can sue you for every thing you got and well i didnt wanna take the risk nothing happened when i was mower but never know

hit a rock or stick at some ones car and cause an accident (your at fault) and both partys can go after you

trust me never know and its worth it mine was only $400 for the year for million on libility and $100,000 on any thing on the trailer or theft or damage

ya thats high and ya i had truck ins that would of coverered the trailer and what was on it but i didnt wanna take the risk of them saying no your truck ins dont cover whats on the trailer even though they told me it did on the phone i didnt see it in the info they sent about my ins plan

and as far as going about getting rid of him im not sure it might make you loose a friend but id say here is the money spend here is the money made here is what your gonna need to pay or here is your take depending if your making money after all the bills come in yet

i never had a partner with any of my business's and no family mostly cause we use to have a nice farm when i was growing up and my dad and my uncle (dads brother) ran it and well they didnt see eye to eye and ran it to the ground and had to sell out sucks but whatever i learned from that its always better to have one owner and some good people to help or do it all your self lol

Well. My dad has a construction company and is insured through that. Maybe that insurance would cover mowing some lawns as well. I guess I'll look into that, as well as insurance policies. Can I get insured as a 17 year old?

Unfortunately, We've only done 2 jobs and already we aren't eye to eye whatsoever. I really think he's getting a great deal. We are using my/my familys truck, trailor, lawn mower, blower, chainsaw, etc etc. and I'm still splitting with him 50/50 (including expenses). He's making great money if you ask me. I could gladly run it solo or even grab a friend for the day and give him $10/hour under the table..I'm sure they'd be fine w/ that :rolleyes:. Or even an hourly rate. For him to complain about anything is beyond me :\

EDIT: Will insurance cover everything? Lawns, mulching, snow plowing? Where does it end? Or is different for every company/policy?

bigmudder77
06-22-2009, 12:40 PM
ya id kick him out of there cause he is making good money cause when you look at it your doing all the work and have all the stuff he is just a helper pretty much

and no you cant get an ins at 17 dont think so

and ill have to find my old ins write up i think it covered every thing from mowing to plowing but ill try to find that and send you the info

and are you even making money doing 2 jobs? plus paying him half of what you make

id just say look this isnt working out for me to use all my stuff and still pay for 50% of what we make and see what he says you can maybe just pay him to help you out when you need it or some thing

Ryall Landscaping
06-22-2009, 12:52 PM
ya id kick him out of there cause he is making good money cause when you look at it your doing all the work and have all the stuff he is just a helper pretty much

and no you cant get an ins at 17 dont think so

and ill have to find my old ins write up i think it covered every thing from mowing to plowing but ill try to find that and send you the info

and are you even making money doing 2 jobs? plus paying him half of what you make

id just say look this isnt working out for me to use all my stuff and still pay for 50% of what we make and see what he says you can maybe just pay him to help you out when you need it or some thing

Yeah, I'm making very good money IMO. I'm moreless just paying for the fuel, so there really isn't much. However, paying him (or someone else) per hour or even per job would be fair in my opinion, and I'd make a fair bit more.

If I pay per job (xx%) what's a fair percentage? Or am I better paying by the hour?

bigmudder77
06-22-2009, 01:16 PM
i really dont know what to pay by id say by hour

but do you really need to have some one help you? ya it would go faster but is it some thing you need right now?

Ryall Landscaping
06-22-2009, 01:56 PM
i really dont know what to pay by id say by hour

but do you really need to have some one help you? ya it would go faster but is it some thing you need right now?

No, not really.. It's just nice to have a buddy with you..Seems to not be quite as boring, ya know? But on at least the bigger jobs I do want to have someone anyway, like 5 yards of mulching lol.

bigmudder77
06-22-2009, 01:59 PM
lol ya true i always cut alone didnt wanna have to worry or go over what some one else did if it wasnt done right