PDA

View Full Version : Peerless tranny 5 sp 700-070 ?

jeffex
06-04-2009, 08:57 PM
My tranny on my toro 36" w/b is jumping in 2nd & 4th gear. I put new shift keys in 3 yrs ago with Restrorobs help. One cold day the belts were tight and I had a hard time shifting and may have rounded out the key or the gears . This time I just ordered a new one. I rebuilt this mower over last winter .. I got the new one wed and looked at it today and that allen key on the tranny pully under the deck was not budging. My question is can the shaft to the tranny pully be removed by taking apart the tranny and lowering the shaft out the bottom. You see I have rounded out the allen key even with soaking it for several days with liquid wrench. I can still cut in 3rd and 5th so I may wait until a slower time and try and run the allen key out with a spiral screw extractor. Possibly tac weld the allen wrench to the key? If not I can order a new tranny pully and put in all new stuff. Right now with all this rain my backup for this mower is a 21" and thats NOT an option as far as I'm concerned. Any thoughts? http://www.j-thomas.com/catalog/195_peerless_transmission_parts.html
remove #41 and tap shaft through?

B&A lawn care
06-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Had similar problems with the drive pulley when I did the tranny replace on our old Exmark. On the exmark the drive pulley was a spoked cast iron job and there was room for a gear puller and we just drug it off the shaft tight screws and all. Once off the trans put the pulley in a vise and with a punch tha fits down into the hex broaches give the set screw a few pretty good hits. This will loosen them and if you didnt strip it completely it should come out. If you can get behind the pulley with a sawzall you could cut the shaft and press or knock the stub out. One other thing, before you try those set crews again take a close look at your allen wrench. If it appears rounded even a little bit grind it back to you get to a good hex with sharp corners (dont overheat it) and it just might take those screws out after tapping them with a punch.

Restrorob
06-04-2009, 10:48 PM
My question is can the shaft to the tranny pully be removed by taking apart the tranny and lowering the shaft out the bottom.

It sure can, Just remove the snap ring holding the drive pinion gear then slide it out.

jeffex
06-05-2009, 05:42 AM
It will be worth the money to just buy a new pully ($24 + shipping) rather than my time spent beating the he$$ out of the old one. I just wanted to know if my diagram told me what experience did ..thanks Restrorob! Thanks B& A as well. My goal was to limit my down time if I ran into snags. Winter is my usual repair time but sh#@ happens. The new 15 hp Kohler I installed needed a new pully so I should have just ordered the tranny one when I got the peerless. I had to beat the crap out of the old motor pully just to get it off the old motor off the deck.

Breezmister
06-05-2009, 05:02 PM
I got the new one wed and looked at it today and that allen key on the tranny pully under the deck was not budging. You see I have rounded out the allen key even with soaking it for several days with liquid wrench.

Let me make 2 suggestions. Before you install the new pulley, put some anti seize on the input shaft. Between the snap ring and the set screws, it's not going to slide off.

When you have the set screws seated, take a dab of grease and fill the holes, this will keep any moister and dirt out for the most part. If you are doing all the work your self, this will aid you in the long run

jeffex
06-05-2009, 07:00 PM
good advice! may prevent a future of this very issue . the allen key wrench I used was new but the thing is 11 yrs old and just wouldn't budge.

Restrorob
06-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Go to your local hardware store and pick up a square head set screw, Strip problem solved......

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/All%20Engines/SquareHeadSetScrew.jpg

jeffex
06-06-2009, 05:26 AM
thats exactly what my son the auto tech said. great idea! a little anti seize too