PDA

View Full Version : How to make mulch

Grass Happens
06-04-2009, 10:44 PM
I did a search for this, but I couldn't find out HOW to actually make a hydroseeding like mulch. I don't have a JDL or anything like that around to buy Penn mulch, and really am only doing small patch repairs. I have read on other posts that its rather easy to make, but no one says how. I mean can i just use any paper, or does it have to be high bulk-low density? Is there something else I could use?
Thanks for the help!

Turboguy
06-05-2009, 07:45 AM
The paper mulch manufactuers use newspaper but try to avoid the glossy suppliments. I believe a hammermill is what they use to chop it up and they adjust the screen size depending if they are running hydro seeding mulch or blown in insulation. Also the additatives are different. They add the green dye (which can be purchased seperately) and a suffactant that helps break up the mulch in water where when they make insulation they add a fire ******ant.

Personally in the amounts you are going to be needing, making it yourself is not a good option. There are lots of other places to buy mulch besides JDL, and probably better choices as well. Try calling Sam Morris at Phonix paper which is close to you (Losant IL) and see if he has a dealer near you. Try calling Profile Products who are one of the biggest mulch and erosion control suppliers and ask if they have a dealer close to you. Try calling Central Fiber which is an excellent product and the one I use and see if they have a dealer near you.