PDA

View Full Version : Cutting interlock - minimizing dust

Shane472
06-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Hey guys, I'm about to start a job in a fairly small back yard with a lot of plant material. The owners are elderly and their relationship with their neighbors is anything but good. Because of these circumstances I need to minimize the amount of dust I create when cutting the interlock.

Personally, I would like to lay my infill and then mark a line, cut in place with a concrete saw and then lay my soldier course. The problem is that this is probably the dustiest of my options. I have seen some companies have an employee with a blower stand by while another is making a cut but this seems like it's just spreading the dust even more to me. Of course their is the option of cutting wet but when you're that close to the pavers I worry about marking them with slurry.

My other options include renting a tub saw which will really slow things down but minimize the dust. I could either cut wet, which I'd still like to avoid if possible, or rent a model that can accept a shop-vac for dust control.

What would you do in this situation? Have you got any tricks for minimizing dust when cutting your interlock?

soopa
06-06-2009, 10:25 AM
If you have a powerful shop-vac then have a guy stand behind the cutter with that instead of a blower. It won't eliminate dust but it will help. keep it close to the blade.

LB1234
06-06-2009, 10:12 PM
if it is THAT big of a concern just cut on a table saw (wet of course) and make sure you design the system with the least amount of cuts. If its not that big it shouldn't take that much labor time up anyway. You could also tarp the plants as you are dry cutting, but be careful of not leaving it on the plants to long, especially in the sun, you'll cook 'em.

word to the wise...if the neighbors aren't that close make sure you dot all your i's and cross all your t's. In other words get any zoning, building, association permits you need BEFORE starting.

DVS Hardscaper
06-06-2009, 10:47 PM
rent a saw that works with water