PDA

View Full Version : Areca Palm Trees for privacy wall - anyone have experience with this palm?

NormanNormal
06-05-2009, 02:54 AM
This question pertains to my own property. I have a 1.25 acre fully fenced property in south Florida. The fence is a 4' wood post and wire fence. I would like to create a privacy hedge at the fence line. I am also hoping that these palms would add a bit of a sound barrier and enhance my security as the property is gated but the fence is easy to hop. I understand these palms are fast growing clumping palms and are very dense and impenetrable like bamboo. Would Areca palms accomplish this?

I understand that buying these plants at a decent height is very expensive, since they grow so fast perhaps I can purchase them smaller and let them grow.

What kind of prices would I be looking at for 300-400ft of fence line?
Also would it be wise to run irrigation lines along them to make sure they get water frequently?

Thanks so much!

Norman

yamadooski
06-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Yes the Areca makes a great privacy fence. Dont trim and keep manicured or it will thin out. YOu can even put a Jasmine or Bouganvilla in between to make it even more plush.
It all depends on what size you as to how many you need.
We did one just like this and we put in 8-10 feet tall and when untied they will span out an extra 4 feet all around.
In south Florida you can get 7 gallon size already kinda big about 8 feet but not very big radius wise. My theory is if its grown in a pot its not as nice as one grown in the field. YOU will have to search around they come in all different sizes and prices.

Florida Gardener
06-05-2009, 08:46 AM
I can't stand Areca palms. Especially when used in this sense. They always look messy to me cause they are used as a hedge or privacy barrier. They WILL do a great job of this though. If it were me, I would go with the Awabuki Viburnum. It does need to be hand pruned, but it looks awesome imo when properly maintained. I guess as a maintenance guy, the Arecas annoy me b/c i am ALWAYS dragging away tons of fronds every week.

yamadooski
06-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Ya I bet as a lawn guy in Jupiter where you have way more tropical climate with more pruning I could see it as a pain. Im in Tampa and we dont have many Arecas on the north side. Get down by southern Tampa and its the same climate zone as you and there we have a lot of tropical self pruning palms.
I dont any lawn main down there but a lot of landscaping and use Arecas all the time.
I have a few Arecas in my yard and I find rather relaxing to go out on Sunday morning a pull out all the brown ones. Im more used to using pruners or chain saw on all our palms so when I can just pull one off and not use pruners that is nice.

Florida Gardener
06-05-2009, 10:53 PM
yea, there self-cleaning, but when you have even one cluster, there are ALWAYS tons of fronds to pick up. Good self-cleaning palms would be foxtails,adonidias,alexanders where they drop one frond like once a week if that. I don't like Arecas as much as i don't like queens and sables and coconuts.

I have a good customer with 30 ft. mature clusters(6 or 7) that have Ganoderma Butt Rot. I am so happy b/c we will be taking them all out! I feel bad for them a little b/c it won't be cheap, but no more damn Arecas at least on her property. The neighbor who i do as well has more of his own......

To each his own though. I like solitary,self-cleaning clean looking palms. I do like a lot of non-self cleaning palms like triangles,bottles,spindles,bismarks among others. As long as its not a queen,coconut,sable,or areca i pretty much like it:laugh:

capelawncare.com
06-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Look at the south florida Craigslist.com farm and garden section. There are a lot of growers over there selling Arecas cheeeeeep.

Depending on how tight you want your "hedge" to be I think 1 palm every 2-3 ft should provide you enough privacy.

They will need irrigation, at least until they are very well established and mature. Preferably permantently.

NormanNormal
06-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks so much for your replied. I check craigslist as suggested and most people want only $3-$5 or a 3 foot potted areca but they want $25-$65 for a 4-7ft "field grown" areca. What makes a "field grown" tree so much better than the potted one? Besides the couple extra feet. Seems like a no-brainer to buy the smaller one and let it grow a bit.

Thanks

capelawncare.com
06-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Field grown palms are usually larger. There is more labor involved, because not only are they planted, but they are dug up.

I'd go with the small ones, and let em'grow.