PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Renovation Question

KB
06-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I am helping my girlfriend renovate the backyard of her new home. It was originally planted (2 yrs ago) with K31 and is now K31 and weeds with some bare spots. It is a large area (15K sq. ft.) with full sun and she wants to plant bermuda because sod would be too expensive. We have sprayed everything with Roundup and most is now dead. I was originally thinking of having it tilled or plowed in some manner so that we could rake away all of the dead grass but have since seen the "slit seeder" pics here like that of the Lawn Solutions product. Can I get away with cutting the dead grass very low, removing the clippings, and using a rented slit seeder? It seems like a much easier process than the alternative. What are your opintions. Thanks!!

fl-landscapes
06-05-2009, 09:42 PM
I am helping my girlfriend renovate the backyard of her new home. It was originally planted (2 yrs ago) with K31 and is now K31 and weeds with some bare spots. It is a large area (15K sq. ft.) with full sun and she wants to plant bermuda because sod would be too expensive. We have sprayed everything with Roundup and most is now dead. I was originally thinking of having it tilled or plowed in some manner so that we could rake away all of the dead grass but have since seen the "slit seeder" pics here like that of the Lawn Solutions product. Can I get away with cutting the dead grass very low, removing the clippings, and using a rented slit seeder? It seems like a much easier process than the alternative. What are your opintions. Thanks!!

It will definitly work in my opinion. Don't know how level the lawn is now one of the downsides to not tilling and leveling or bringing in top soil and grading is that if you have a lot of variations in the ground you will scalp alot with bermuda and it wont look great. But bermuda is very aggresive and if you slit seed, starter fert and water properly until germination you will have a bermuda lawn in no time.

keepcuttin
06-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Just remember when slicing go 4 ways.north to south east to west or you will leave the corn row effect. and if you are up to it do a 45 on it also.

fl-landscapes
06-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Just remember when slicing go 4 ways.north to south east to west or you will leave the corn row effect. and if you are up to it do a 45 on it also.

That is good rule of thumb when slit seeding but with bermuda and other creeping grasses which spread with rizhomes and stolons the corn rows will fill in quickly. Still a good practice to do what you said and seed multiple directions.