PDA

View Full Version : Design Software - Which Do You Use?

Shane472
06-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Hey guys,

I'm conducting some research for my school into design programs. We are currently using Dynascape and it is my job to explore other options and decide which is best for us. As I have only used this software I want to get the opinions of other designers who may be using other programs. That's where you come in, hopefully.

Which software are you using in your business? Why did you purchase that particular program and what are your thoughts on it?

Any feedback you can provide will really help me in writing my report and it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Shane

esnipe8
06-08-2009, 09:58 PM
I use Realtime Landscape Architect. I probably can not use this program to its full potential, but it seems just enough for part time designers, full time installers.
It will not give you the same look and feel of Dynascape style software. But for what I use it for, it does the trick most of the time.
Evan

Isobel
06-08-2009, 10:40 PM
I use a combination of Realtime Landscape Pro from IdeaSpectrum, and Pro Landscape from Drafix, v12.

the first one is great for displaying 3D images, but the second is better at figuring out mature widths and spacing.

AGLA
06-09-2009, 06:33 AM
Shane,

What type of school is it? Or really, what is the trade/profession that you are using the software for? The reason that I ask is that there is a big difference between "in house" use and interacting with other design or land use professionals.

If your students are going to be starting and completing design work without beginning with surveyor/engineer/architect drawings or having projects laid out by survey instrument, whatever works will do.

However, if they do interact with those others, they really need to use the most compatable software that they can in order to smoothly bring in those other drawings or have their own drawing files brought into those other's drawings.

The reason that there are so many products out there is that there are a lot of different needs that balance learning curve, ease of use, look of plan (higher level software is less of an issue), cost, ability to use add on programs (only higher end software) and compatibility with others. Depending on what your students are going to be doing, some of these will be very important and some might be non-issues.

Dreams To Designs
06-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Shane,

I prefer pro Landscape v15, by Drafix. It performs all the tasks I need for my design business, and is compatible with most other CAD based software, like engineer, surveyor or architect's drawings. Pro Landscape has the advantage of excellent 3D imaging and presentation software.

Just remember what design software is and what it should be used for. It is simply a digital pencil and a presentation tool. The design is still created from experience, knowledge, site conditions and a client's desires. In this matter, I find design software to be mislabeled. The design is still created by the designer, but the software allows that design and imagery to be expressed in a simple to understand media.

Kirk