PDA

View Full Version : Which type and brand of hedge trimmer should I buy?

genesis215
06-06-2009, 02:54 PM
I am now finally ready to add a hedge trimmer to my equipment, and wondered what type I should get. Should I get a double-bladed version, or a single-bladed version? Or would an articulating extended reach model be good? Can an extended reach model do everything or not? Just some questions.

As far as brands, I have Stihl, Shindaiwa, and Echo dealers here, and would like to choose between these three brands if possible, so if something breaks I can get the part I need at the dealer.

So, what would be your recommendation? Once I get a few replies, then I will ask about specific models from the different brands.

Thanks for your help.

Wizz
06-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Based on other expriences I went with the Kawasaki 600D with 24" blade...the 'D' series is commercial, the 'S' series is semi-commercial as it has a less robust gearbox and lesser blade than the D series. I liked double sided as I can make passes both ways saving a lot of time. I'm very happy with the Kawasaki 600D, it can be found for $250-300 online and has a good warranty. Starts right up and blades are very sharp, I'm very pleased with it, especially for the price. Here is the link: http://www.kawpowr.com/pp/category.aspx?id=5

genesis215
06-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have read alot of very good comments on the Kawasaki hedgers, but don't can't go for one due to no dealers. Also, whatever I buy will be used, not new.

TomberLawn
06-06-2009, 05:52 PM
I bought an Echo SHC-212 and I really like it. I haven't used it a lot yet, but I can already tell they will be easier to use in almost every application. This is a slightly extended reach model--not really long, but not just a short one. I thought short shrubs would be harder to trim with it, but I just flip it over and now don't have to bend down like I did with short trimmers. Echo doesn't make the 212 any more, but the SHC-225 is a replacement of that model. Retails for about $340.

PR Fect
06-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have read alot of very good comments on the Kawasaki hedgers, but don't can't go for one due to no dealers. Also, whatever I buy will be used, not new.

Kaw double 24. Get parts from Internet.

genesis215
06-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. I was looking pretty seriously at the Stihl HL 100 4-MIX articulating hedge trimmer with extended reach, and the Stihl HL 75 2-stroke (discontinued model). What do you think of these? The only reason for my interest in these was that I could put a trimmer gearbox and head on to make it into a trimmer. I only have a little RedMax TR2300S trimmer right now, and the power of either of these would be a nice upgrade. What do you think?

ashelton
06-06-2009, 07:00 PM
I would def. recommend the extended w/ articulating head. Most of my guys, myself included, will grab one of our extended trimmers over the regular. They save on your back on the low stuff and can reach the high stuff better.

Whatever you do don't by a Redmax!!!! I love all of the Redmax 2 cycle products, except for the ext. hedgetrimmers. The reason being that the spark plug is mounted on top of the unit and EVERY TIME you start sweating and touch the spark plug cover, with any part of your body, it will shock the S*#T out of you.

4.3mudder
06-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Stihl all the way for me.

packey
06-06-2009, 07:40 PM
I would go with the stihl hl 75. I currently run echo's and will not recomed them ever. my echo mid reach trimmers constantly over heat the gear box and yes I keep my trimmer lubed well. the stihls we have had in the past cut better and run much longer periods of time.

genesis215
06-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Thanks! Keep the replies coming!

J&A Lawn Care
06-09-2009, 09:17 AM

I wish my experience was good with my kawasaki trimmers.I bought a set from Lesco when they had them on sale when John Deere boughtb them.The first set last about 8 small bushes before it busted the piston.I carried them back and they sent them to a dealer for repair.I called a few weeks later and Lesco agreed to give me a new set inwhich this set has last about 20 bushes and now has carb problems.If the trimmers are flat they run fine but as soon as you tilt them on either side they knock off

mdlwn1
06-09-2009, 09:54 AM
I have to say most ofthe replies lack any substance. Here in the northeast..the more successful compaines use REDMAX exclusively. In 20 years I have noticed the following.

Echo was always the lightest thing out there although I have a sthil thats pretty close. Starting an older one was ALWAYS a chore. The cut quality was poor.

Redmax used to be heavy..but it cut like a hot knife through butter and ran well seemingly forever. Nothing came close to cutting as well in ONE pass. They are much lighter now.

Stihl I dont have a whole lot of experiance with these but I can say, It does not cut like the Redmax.

Try to disregard the I like or I dont like responses.

david shumaker
06-09-2009, 09:59 PM
I would like to try the Redmax, but the dealers around here don't sell them. I have Stihl 24", 40" and pole clippers. I just ordered an Echo 20" clipper to use for small shrubs...the Stihl 24" get heavy if using them awhile. The 40" clippers are good for long hedge rows, but the clippers can get heavy. I can knock out a long hege in no time with the 40" clippers.

Weedas_Lawn_Care
06-12-2009, 04:04 PM
i love nothing but stihl but as far as hedge trimers i went with the echo 160 and they are great i bout mine for like $190 off ebay never been used and iv been very pleased with them. Also the reason i didnt go with stihl is because of how much the price difference is with stihl and iv heard but not for sure if tru that the stihl hedge trimmers are china made (just what i heard)

dlaros
06-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Tanka or Shindy

W.L.M.
06-14-2009, 06:03 PM
I used echos previously and couldn't stand them. I went with a shindaiwa 231 24in even though it was about $100 more expensive and I am thrilled with it. Echo and shindaiwa are not even in the same league. The shindaiwa has almost twice the blade speed and generally runs alot better and has less vibration to your hands. It is truly amazing how the shindy runs.

jkilov
06-14-2009, 06:26 PM
You won't regret giving maruyama a try. That or a tanaka tht 210s.

genesis215
06-14-2009, 06:44 PM
I am pretty much settled on either a Stihl HL 100 with the 31.4cc 4-MIX, or the old HL 75 with the 25.4cc 2-stroke engine. Both of these have 59" shafts, and articulating heads. I am still trying to decide which one to get. Any comments?

FYS777
06-14-2009, 09:29 PM
I am now finally ready to add a hedge trimmer to my equipment, and wondered what type I should get. Should I get a double-bladed version, or a single-bladed version? Or would an articulating extended reach model be good? Can an extended reach model do everything or not? Just some questions.

As far as brands, I have Stihl, Shindaiwa, and Echo dealers here, and would like to choose between these three brands if possible, so if something breaks I can get the part I need at the dealer.

So, what would be your recommendation? Once I get a few replies, then I will ask about specific models from the different brands.

Thanks for your help.

I've run an echo 150 for years never had any probs, double edge all the way, runs and runs and runs,,, don't know what else to say...

STIHL GUY
06-14-2009, 11:40 PM
you are deffinitly going to want the double sided version. it makes trimming a lot quicker and easier

Kingram52
06-15-2009, 02:15 PM
I have been using Echo's for years and they work great. One bad thing about stihl's is the spark plug cost $6.00