PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of....

DBFlawn
06-06-2009, 03:43 PM
This 1995 GMC Sierra 2500.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/1207780608.html

It has the 6.5TD in it with 190,000.

Main things I would like to know are:

1. How are these 6.5's as terms of power and reliability?

2. What would one of these average as far as fuel economy?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

DBFlawn
06-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Well I just got off the phone with her and turns out it runs really rough and it is only 2 wheel drive.

But if anyone would still like to give some personal experiences or knowledge of the 6.5's I'm all ears.

DBF

TXNSLighting
06-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Its always confusing seeing a 3/4 ton with 6 lugs! :hammerhead: I personally wouldnt touch a 6.5L. Ive heard so many more horror stories than good stories. But theyre apparantly fuel efficient.

Duffster
06-06-2009, 09:53 PM
I had a 6.5t

Loved it when I had it

It didn't have enough power to pull the hat of your head but it got 25 mpg

DBFlawn
06-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Its always confusing seeing a 3/4 ton with 6 lugs! :hammerhead: I personally wouldnt touch a 6.5L. Ive heard so many more horror stories than good stories. But theyre apparantly fuel efficient.

Yeah that's why I'm not sure so I thought I would seek here for help. From what I have read some people absolutely love them. Then you have the other half that absolutely hate them and would never buy another one.

But I do have to agree. I've done a decent amount of searching about diesels lately and of all the times I have read about a 6.5's...not one person complained about fuel economy.

DBFlawn
06-07-2009, 12:04 AM
I had a 6.5t

Loved it when I had it

It didn't have enough power to pull the hat of your head but it got 25 mpg

Yeah I have also heard this before too. I want to say that it was diesel place that did a test of the 6.5 vs the 454. While the 454 got to speed a lot quicker with identical gearing the 6.5 was way more efficient.

What year was yours and is there a certain year to look for and a certain year to stay away from?

Thanks for your input so far everyone!

DBFlawn
06-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Correction:

I wanna say it was DIESEL POWER not DIESEL PLACE.

Gravel Rat
06-07-2009, 12:32 AM
The 6.5 TURDO Diesel the only one that was okay was the first version with the mechanical injection pump. The ones with the electronic/mechanical pump was a nightmare.

As for owning a 6.5 not for me I have driven them they are a gutless pig I would rather get poor mpg and own the 454 a reliable engine and cheap to fix.

Evan528
06-07-2009, 01:21 PM
I owed a chevy 3500 with the 6.5 diesel for 5 years before I recently sold it. Very reliable for the 5 years i owned it untill the end. Started stalling.... hard starting when warm.... lot of white smoke at startup etc. After all the things I read that go wrong with these engines I decided to just sell it for what ever I could and move on. Bought it from a friend of mine in 2003 for $5500.00. Pulled trailers with it for 5 years and then sold it for $3,000. Not huge on power but pulled a loaded trailer quite well actually......

bobcat_ron
06-07-2009, 03:00 PM
My Dad's '96 6.5 is on injector pump #4, and computer #2, and it needs some kind of cooling fan on the ECU or it stalls on the highway or something.
Other than that, incredible fuel economy, but the last time I pulled my tag trailer with my T190 it really struggled to get to highway speeds.

DBFlawn
06-07-2009, 08:41 PM
The 6.5 TURDO Diesel the only one that was okay was the first version with the mechanical injection pump. The ones with the electronic/mechanical pump was a nightmare.

As for owning a 6.5 not for me I have driven them they are a gutless pig I would rather get poor mpg and own the 454 a reliable engine and cheap to fix.

What exactly go wrong with these that no one wants them? Also correct me if I am wrong but isn't the only years that have the mechanical injector pump '92 and '93?

DBFlawn
06-07-2009, 08:43 PM
I owed a chevy 3500 with the 6.5 diesel for 5 years before I recently sold it. Very reliable for the 5 years i owned it untill the end. Started stalling.... hard starting when warm.... lot of white smoke at startup etc. After all the things I read that go wrong with these engines I decided to just sell it for what ever I could and move on. Bought it from a friend of mine in 2003 for $5500.00. Pulled trailers with it for 5 years and then sold it for $3,000. Not huge on power but pulled a loaded trailer quite well actually......

Yeah I have heard a lot about hard starting in the winter with these along with the white start on warm up. How many miles did you have on yours and was it a money pit? Sounds like you did well on the resale too!

DBFlawn
06-07-2009, 08:47 PM
My Dad's '96 6.5 is on injector pump #4, and computer #2, and it needs some kind of cooling fan on the ECU or it stalls on the highway or something.
Other than that, incredible fuel economy, but the last time I pulled my tag trailer with my T190 it really struggled to get to highway speeds.

Other than the injector pumps and the computers has your dad been satisfied with it so far. I read a lot that there not the first choice for towing but they are very efficient.

Sounds to me so far that the people that have actually owned the 6.5's have been pretty happy with them over all. (As far as reading on here at least :))

Gravel Rat
06-07-2009, 09:14 PM
The 6.5s eat injection pumps like no tommorow. They have computer problems as Ron said its dads truck has. They also have problems with the timing chain. I know of one that the crank snapped in half.

The mechanical injected 6.5 was when they switched from the 6.2 to 6.5.

I wouldn't buy a 6.5 the engines rattle like marbles in a tin can.

Evan528
06-07-2009, 10:22 PM
DB, Never hard starting in the winter or ever untill the last 6 months I owned it. It always started remarkably quick (quicker then my 03 Cummins). I bought the truck with 165,000 Miles..... Motor was replaced at 138,000 miles. I sold it with just under 200,000 Miles.

For most of the time it was alot more reliable then my cummins.... but no where near the power.

I have been a bit turned off by diesel engines..... When something goes wrong, the repair is always big bucks.