PDA

View Full Version : Found a car "Rambler" while mowing

tacoma200
06-06-2009, 08:27 PM
A lot of people wouldn't even fool with this old farm house I keep up. The lady "Marie" is my favorite customer. Even if I'm in a hurry I always sit and talk for about 10 minutes with her. Her family just wants me to cut it 2-3 times a month to keep it under control and pay me as well as I would get for a nicer manicured home with stripes. The car her daughter learned to drive with has trees growing through it. I thought it was pretty cool to see a car being reclaimed by nature. She is a sweet lady and they always send a Christmas card. Just thought I would share. Most LCO's would drive on by this little shack of a house. 3 1/4" cut

Cuttinitclose
06-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Thats nice. I always talk with my customers when I'm through.

mowerdude777
06-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Thats nice. I always talk with my customers when I'm through.

I talk to them if I know them :laugh:

Kutz Lawns
06-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Great PICS!

That's part of the fun of being in this business, making friends and relating to different kinds of people!

I have a customer that has the 86 year old mother living with them, we always cut up and talk for about 15 minutes every visit and she's a hoot!

She always asks if I found my "nurse with a purse" yet!

The son in law always gives me a $75 tip every month too!

LEM
06-06-2009, 10:32 PM
My mom is 87 years old, and has practically adopted her LCO, although they are a weird combination - she's all prim and proper, and he has shoulder-length hair, a fu manchu, and wears t-shirts with the sleeves ripped off. But she makes him brownies for holidays, and calls him "Pea Turkey" behind his back.

One day last fall, when he showed up the lawn was full of leaves from the maple tree in the front yard. When he got through, she asked where he put the leaves (he mulched them, but she didn't know that.) He said "I put them in the trunk of your car." She still tells that story whenever his name comes up.

LEM

FastMan
06-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Nice thread, Tacoma. Over the years doing this I've had many folks like your Marie that I've developed warm relationships with. I consider it an enjoyable part of this business.

4.3mudder
06-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Customer service, it goes a long way in this day in age.

Greg78
06-06-2009, 11:15 PM
We just went and cut a new account for the first time. It is an older couple that we already service their kids properties. We were referred by both their son and daughter whom live out of state, one in Texas the other on a boat somewhere in the Caribbean.

We spent about 30 minutes talking with them after we finished and I walked them through the start up and shut down of the pressure washer they just got.

One of my favorite parts of this business is the interesting people you can meet.

NORTHMAN
06-06-2009, 11:24 PM
tacoma200,not only am I very impressed with how you cut grass,I'm equally,if not more impressed with how you take care of people.

DaddyRabbit
06-06-2009, 11:25 PM
When I read stories like this it makes me jealous to no end!! Being locked in my particular employment field as I am and will be for 10 more yrs it doesn't allow me the benefit/privilege of working under always changing conditions and meeting the masses like most of you guys. Thanks for sharing the pics!!

Kutz Lawns
06-06-2009, 11:30 PM
When I read stories like this it makes me jealous to no end!! Being locked in my particular employment field as I am and will be for 10 more yrs it doesn't allow me the benefit/privilege of working under always changing conditions and meeting the masses like most of you guys. Thanks for sharing the pics!!

You must work for the government and your counting down the days!

DaddyRabbit
06-06-2009, 11:49 PM
You must be Psychic cuz you're spot on.

You must work for the government and your counting down the days!

ToroLandscaper
06-07-2009, 02:02 AM
I love the older ones, I cut grass for a 99 year old lady a few years back, and man she was the most fun lady I have ever met. I really grew attached to her, and when her care taker/family would go out of town on vacations and such I would act as her caregiver and go check on her before school, when I got out of school, and later in the evening (of course her family paid me, but I would have done it for free). Even when she went to the nursing home I still kept in touch with her, but about a year ago she passed. I still keep see her family from time to time and they often times refer people to me for business.

Richard Martin
06-07-2009, 05:56 AM
Nice job. I've done a few of those "blue haired" jobs over the years. And no lawn would be complete without a car or two in the yard.

Heintooga
06-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Great thread "tacoma"! Since none of my income depends on mowing I have an advantage with 'old folks'. I mow for folks who can't do it for themselves and can't afford to hire it out. It's great to listen and talk with them! Old folks are our greatest treasure and the panet would be a better place if everyone could see it. I don't like taking their money but I've learned that accepting a few dollars when offered helps maintain their pride and personal integrity. A neighbor insisted I take $40 yesterday so I refered her to another neighbor who LCO's for a living.