PDA

View Full Version : Ever have clients "tell you" that you didnt cut their lawn?

Ramairfreak98ss
06-06-2009, 08:58 PM
When you did 4hrs prior? im sure many of you have gotten the same deal lol.

This isnt some little tiny house either. Its a "shiat" yard thats nearly 2 acres, all open, 80% clovers, 10% grass/weeds and the rest is mud and dirt.

This guy has been a problem from the start, same guy that was complaining about our mulch job, edging, mulch black dye leaching onto his sidewalk etc.

go back three weeks, last friday night at 10pm he calls because he wants his lawn cut saturday morning.... its his off week, its a bi-weekly account.

So when we go there, two weeks ago for his scheduled cut, it wasnt very wet, mostly dirt/dry and only a few stragly weeds around, not tall and not thick at all, so im thinking, "why did he want it cut last week"?

Since i told him he needs to call us earlier in the week so were not finished our lawn accounts by friday night, he just said ok.

I talk to him this past Tuesday afternoon, since he has not yet paid for his 5/5/09 mulching/trimming/edging invoice which is almost $700.00 after discount with the lawn contract, he has not paid his contract deposit since 5/5/09 nor his June 09 monthly payment.

He said hes sorry, he thought he would receive an invoice for it, which he already had it, and says he'll send them out bill pay tonight/tuesday night.

He owns a million dollar+ home, 2 acres almost in central/south jersey, has a main house in NYC somewhere that he owns and runs some IT business. apparently he owns two dunkin donuts in south jersey as well.... so i understand he might just have forgotten or was busy.

Today he calls up around 6pm, we just got in from mowing since 7:45am, and is already in a tiszzy, about his lawn condition, theres grass/weeds all over, the lawn isnt cut yet etc.

Our best guy was with "me" today trimming, "I" was on the 72" mower, going slower than normal because i dont want any problems from this jakazz, and my other main mower guy is doing the front lawns on a 61" mower.

The mulch bed was string trimmer edged just for kicks so he doesnt complain about the mulch/edging/trimming/weeds anymore.

Two of us pulled out weeds, any that have grown back since his mulching over 30 days ago, that he still has not paid for yet and i get "this kind of call'?

He first off gets in a major argument that "my guys" didnt cut it properly, when i told him that "i was the one on the mower" he then starts with that it was not cut today, yet it was done 4hrs prior along with 3 other properties about 2acres each on the same road in the same development.

Then he demands that we "come back out" tonight, "after 6pm" and the guys have all left already and cut his lawn. Then he slips and says it needs to be "RECUT", like ok jakazz, so it was cut you admit but you dont like something.

Its ALL clay and dirt, its always been cut at 4" deck height and honestly it should be higher if it wasnt for all the weeds and clovers so it has SOME established green turf instead of all the dry/dead spots. Both decks have stripe kits on them, the whole thick rubber flap that drags behind the deck so his back yard was striped as well as it could be with all the bare dirt spots and clovers.

When he starts demanding that he is going to have 7 people come over right now and say that it is not cut, im thinking sure, your gonna call all your croneys over that think the same assinine was as you do to make your self "feel like your in the right". Then he goes back to the mulching saying that there is still stains on his sidewalk that he is going to have to call another company to remove and is going to cost money.... Im not going to pay until the lawn is cut..... i stopped him right there and said look, you complain about the mulch color, you complained about the weeds, you complained about weeds later IN the plants themselves which we pulled out today, you complained about the mulch dye running in tiny spots on the sidewalk, you claim our guys didnt cut your lawn yet it was there today doing it myself with 2 others in our crew on a saturday because of the last two days of solid rain....He starts rambling in foreign language now and has been yelling almost the entire time and now saying again he wont pay... I had it by this point, with a few choice profound words with him, im done.

he must live at another house that i dont know about and think we offer service for free on that one or something. He owes over $1200 for the 3 bills he has not yet paid a dime on. Im not even going to bother going to court, none of them show up for court, we get judgements against all the deadbeats, and then they go on to make their millions in this guys case and he got free services for over a month :/

Ill be stopping by tomorrow morning to take pictures of his "non lawn cut" for court just in case.

That wasnt even the icing on the cake... one of my guys hit a non-buried Verizon FIOS fiber optic "black" small line in someones 1.5 acre property today running from the pole to their house. It was in 6" tall grass and not marked orange like it was at the pole :/ Im sure thats going to cost half of what we make on that account seasonally.

I am heavily contemplating not offering mowing services next year since it seems to have the most call backs out of every service we offer, customers who dont pay or cant pay or just overall failure to pay and the most liability with issues such as debris flying, rocks, stones, crashing mowers into obstacles, usually ones that are hidden in taller grass that cant be seen.

With how the joe blows are cutting properties for $25 that we charge $55 for... since 2003 when we were mowing commercial and small residential properties, the average bid on a lawn is nearly HALF of what it was 7 years ago :/

mowerdude777
06-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Tell all the lco's that you know about this. Chanches are he will fire you soon, but if you tell enough people nobody will even want to mow his yard

Big Bad Bob
06-06-2009, 10:26 PM

This isnt some little tiny house either. Its a "shiat" yard thats nearly 2 acres, all open, 80% clovers, 10% grass/weeds and the rest is mud and dirt.

This guy has been a problem from the start, same guy that was complaining about our mulch job, edging, mulch black dye leaching onto his sidewalk etc.

go back three weeks, last friday night at 10pm he calls because he wants his lawn cut saturday morning.... its his off week, its a bi-weekly account.

So when we go there, two weeks ago for his scheduled cut, it wasnt very wet, mostly dirt/dry and only a few stragly weeds around, not tall and not thick at all, so im thinking, "why did he want it cut last week"?

Since i told him he needs to call us earlier in the week so were not finished our lawn accounts by friday night, he just said ok.

I talk to him this past Tuesday afternoon, since he has not yet paid for his 5/5/09 mulching/trimming/edging invoice which is almost $700.00 after discount with the lawn contract, he has not paid his contract deposit since 5/5/09 nor his June 09 monthly payment.

He said hes sorry, he thought he would receive an invoice for it, which he already had it, and says he'll send them out bill pay tonight/tuesday night.

He owns a million dollar+ home, 2 acres almost in central/south jersey, has a main house in NYC somewhere that he owns and runs some IT business. apparently he owns two dunkin donuts in south jersey as well.... so i understand he might just have forgotten or was busy.

Today he calls up around 6pm, we just got in from mowing since 7:45am, and is already in a tiszzy, about his lawn condition, theres grass/weeds all over, the lawn isnt cut yet etc.

Our best guy was with "me" today trimming, "I" was on the 72" mower, going slower than normal because i dont want any problems from this jakazz, and my other main mower guy is doing the front lawns on a 61" mower.

The mulch bed was string trimmer edged just for kicks so he doesnt complain about the mulch/edging/trimming/weeds anymore.

Two of us pulled out weeds, any that have grown back since his mulching over 30 days ago, that he still has not paid for yet and i get "this kind of call'?

He first off gets in a major argument that "my guys" didnt cut it properly, when i told him that "i was the one on the mower" he then starts with that it was not cut today, yet it was done 4hrs prior along with 3 other properties about 2acres each on the same road in the same development.

Then he demands that we "come back out" tonight, "after 6pm" and the guys have all left already and cut his lawn. Then he slips and says it needs to be "RECUT", like ok jakazz, so it was cut you admit but you dont like something.

Its ALL clay and dirt, its always been cut at 4" deck height and honestly it should be higher if it wasnt for all the weeds and clovers so it has SOME established green turf instead of all the dry/dead spots. Both decks have stripe kits on them, the whole thick rubber flap that drags behind the deck so his back yard was striped as well as it could be with all the bare dirt spots and clovers.

When he starts demanding that he is going to have 7 people come over right now and say that it is not cut, im thinking sure, your gonna call all your croneys over that think the same assinine was as you do to make your self "feel like your in the right". Then he goes back to the mulching saying that there is still stains on his sidewalk that he is going to have to call another company to remove and is going to cost money.... Im not going to pay until the lawn is cut..... i stopped him right there and said look, you complain about the mulch color, you complained about the weeds, you complained about weeds later IN the plants themselves which we pulled out today, you complained about the mulch dye running in tiny spots on the sidewalk, you claim our guys didnt cut your lawn yet it was there today doing it myself with 2 others in our crew on a saturday because of the last two days of solid rain....He starts rambling in foreign language now and has been yelling almost the entire time and now saying again he wont pay... I had it by this point, with a few choice profound words with him, im done.

he must live at another house that i dont know about and think we offer service for free on that one or something. He owes over $1200 for the 3 bills he has not yet paid a dime on. Im not even going to bother going to court, none of them show up for court, we get judgements against all the deadbeats, and then they go on to make their millions in this guys case and he got free services for over a month :/

Ill be stopping by tomorrow morning to take pictures of his "non lawn cut" for court just in case.

That wasnt even the icing on the cake... one of my guys hit a non-buried Verizon FIOS fiber optic "black" small line in someones 1.5 acre property today running from the pole to their house. It was in 6" tall grass and not marked orange like it was at the pole :/ Im sure thats going to cost half of what we make on that account seasonally.

I am heavily contemplating not offering mowing services next year since it seems to have the most call backs out of every service we offer, customers who dont pay or cant pay or just overall failure to pay and the most liability with issues such as debris flying, rocks, stones, crashing mowers into obstacles, usually ones that are hidden in taller grass that cant be seen.

With how the joe blows are cutting properties for $25 that we charge $55 for... since 2003 when we were mowing commercial and small residential properties, the average bid on a lawn is nearly HALF of what it was 7 years ago :/

Sounds like maybe he used to work at a "call center"? Wears a white robe? Has a funny accident? Give him a fair bid and he says, "You have the best bid but could you come down 25%?".

mississippiturf
06-06-2009, 11:10 PM
The absolute best thing about being in this business is that we can pick and choose our customers. I don't deal with "complainers" period. I get my money, find a tactful way of telling them that they will have to find someone else because if my best is not good enough, any extra effort is fruitless.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-06-2009, 11:33 PM
you need to talk face to face with these guys. have them point things out with thier finger. maybe im wrong and you did talk face to face but it sounds like a pissing match between to aholes on the phone.:laugh:

kaferhaus
06-06-2009, 11:39 PM
That's the problem with billing residentials and it's why we don't do it and never have in nearly 30yrs. Payment at time of service.

We have hundreds of residential customers and it's never been a problem getting paid on the day of service.

I'm not running a credit card company (we take those too!) or a finance company... if they take their car to get repaired they pay right then, buy groceries.... pay now.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-06-2009, 11:46 PM
That's the problem with billing residentials and it's why we don't do it and never have in nearly 30yrs. Payment at time of service.

We have hundreds of residential customers and it's never been a problem getting paid on the day of service.

I'm not running a credit card company (we take those too!) or a finance company... if they take their car to get repaired they pay right then, buy groceries.... pay now.

thats why you are where your at you collect your money! just like invoicing if you do the work but dont invoice you dont get paid no matter if it is floor pannel for buildings or if it is fleet maintenence for trucks! cars dont leave my shop unless i say so! i have had scum call the state and have suits come down take the keys and me never get paid though! crazy:dizzy:

THC
06-06-2009, 11:49 PM

Man that would seem like a PITA! It would also stretch out the day and what if they're not home?

lawncuttinfoo
06-07-2009, 12:01 AM
OMG where to start.

When verison asks you for the repair bill tell them that you have the city take care of that sort of thing for you, and ask if they want to call them or if they want you to call them about the improperly burried line which will carry a fine plus the cost to repair at the cost of the installer. They will tell you don't worry about it and hang up on you.

SNAPPER MAN
06-07-2009, 12:05 AM
I do the same thing as Kaferhaus, almost all residential pay me upon completion of service except the ones that prepay for the month. Most of them just leave a check on the back door or under the doormat so we can get it if they arn't home and even if they are we don't bother them. Invoicing residential is a unnecessary pain in the ass.

ALC-GregH
06-07-2009, 12:07 AM

You got that right. I have a few that I miss once and a while but I always get paid.
It sounds like this guy is a first time customer that is simply ripping you off.

I also disagree about hitting stuff in tall grass, you should know the properties you cut.

I don't get it. How could they hit something on someone 1.5 acre property? Again, you should know the properties your servicing.

TheC-Master
06-07-2009, 12:18 AM

I'm going to start getting into that, I have one or two that I have to chase a bit, they'll pay, but slowly. The others mail it or whatever. No big deal. I take it the customer in the thread was a Middle Easterner?

Big Bad Bob
06-07-2009, 01:17 AM

:/

Why are you still performing services when he hasn't even paid the deposit yet? Why was the mulch job even done if he didn't pay the deposit?
Live and learn.
I had a native American lady that didn't pay $250.00. She was next door to one of my best clients. I went to the door after the 10 day pay schedule and no one was living there. Her neighbor said she packed up in the middle of the night and moved. I made a major error. I assumed she was buying the house. She was actually renting and also stiffed the landlord. I should have checked but she told her neighbor (my client) that she bought the house. I put Olddebts after her but they say they can't find her. ???
Ironically the house is now rented by a middle eastern Dr. (towel head). They are renting till their new house is done. She told me they were having contractor problems and will probably be renting for the rest of the year. Probably won't work cheap enough. His wife stopped me one day and asked for a mowing bid. It is a $45.00 lawn. I told her my price. She said, "We'll pay only $25.00 every 2 weeks." I walked away from that one. She now has a hayfield next door to my customer and seems to change LCO's monthly.

HOOLIE
06-07-2009, 02:52 AM

This guy has sucked you into his little game...do what I do...tell yourself you no longer give a sh** and you'll feel better in the morning!

Big Bad Bob
06-07-2009, 03:48 AM
This guy has sucked you into his little game...do what I do...tell yourself you no longer give a sh** and you'll feel better in the morning!

Great advice.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-07-2009, 10:13 AM
i was laughing yesterday so hard! my town has a new law, if you dont mow your lawn the city will and it is 300 per cut lol! so this guy who will act like he is going to pay you after you cut it, he refuses to pay after you cut it. it didnt happen to me just a guy who walks arround town with a push mower, he's handicaped.. anyway he mows it the guy doesnt pay him 2 months later i see the city mowing it ! lol i am sooo happy this jerk has to pay 300! this guy wont answer his door even if you see him through the window real wierdo! too bad he wont let me mow it i mow 3 houses right next to him and it just makes no sense!

lawncuttinfoo
06-07-2009, 09:42 PM
I do the same thing as Kaferhaus, almost all residential pay me upon completion of service except the ones that prepay for the month. Most of them just leave a check on the back door or under the doormat so we can get it if they arn't home and even if they are we don't bother them. Invoicing residential is a unnecessary pain in the ass.

IMO the unnecessary pain in the ass is searching out and picking up a payment at EACH STOP, do you do cash like this or just checks? I can see it now: "well I put it there this morning must have blow away in the wind", how bout when its raining, soaked checks, how bout forgetful customers?
The paperwork has to be done anyway when you report the income to the state and determine sales and income taxes. If you invoice it is all done in one step.
Yes I do have some customers stop out and hand me a check to save postage if they just received their invoice, but once I had a new customer stop me when I was completly done mowing THEN said come to the door and began to write out the slowest check ever. I had the feeling that the guy did not respect my time so there was no renewal the folowing year.

red12
06-07-2009, 10:01 PM
I cut a yard to that it seems like I can never please them. It my sister inlaws grand parents house. I think almost everytime I get there they have to come out and tell me how to trim. The yard is the crappiest yard all weeds and some grass. They have brush lines on all side of the hard it just a terriable yard to cut theres poison ivy and oak in spots and I refuse to trim it and they wont let me spray it. I sometimes wish I could drop it but I dont want to Piss any one off right now.

kaferhaus
06-07-2009, 10:55 PM
IMO the unnecessary pain in the ass is searching out and picking up a payment at EACH STOP, do you do cash like this or just checks? I can see it now: "well I put it there this morning must have blow away in the wind", how bout when its raining, soaked checks, how bout forgetful customers?
The paperwork has to be done anyway when you report the income to the state and determine sales and income taxes. If you invoice it is all done in one step.
Yes I do have some customers stop out and hand me a check to save postage if they just received their invoice, but once I had a new customer stop me when I was completly done mowing THEN said come to the door and began to write out the slowest check ever. I had the feeling that the guy did not respect my time so there was no renewal the folowing year.

No need to search for anything. We know where it is and almost every customer puts it in a zip lock bag, so rain = no problem.

In 30yrs I've never had a customer claim the "check must have blown away. Even if they did, so what? no one else can cash it it's made out to a LLC. They could simply write another one.... but in hunreds of thousands of transactions (not a typo) that's not happened once.

An "inovice" is not a reciept. Taxes are computed on reciepts, not invoices.

I'm not "waiting by the mailbox" to see who paid and who didn't, not making collection calls, sending letters or spending money on postage or envelopes for something that should be paid for as service is rendered.

Husky05
06-08-2009, 12:00 AM
There is no possible way I am going to get a check at everyhouse or every stop we make. I have 86 accounts at this present time, and I am not meeting with people or looking for my money in some hidden spot. I have to cut all my grass in 4 days, because I have a ton of other work to do the rest of the week. I go home enter all my clients that I did for the day into quickbooks and print off a monthly invoice at the end of each month and mail it to them. If they dont pay I dont cut there grass, its that simple.

No possible way am I stopping, talking to some old lady about why her petunia's are purple and why the skys blue, why she takes 3 days to write a check. To much to do and not enough time.

ALC-GregH
06-08-2009, 10:16 AM
No possible way am I stopping, talking to some old lady about why her petunia's are purple and why the skys blue, why she takes 3 days to write a check. To much to do and not enough time.

But you'll cash that check she wrote. Do you even know their name or do you just go by a house number? :rolleyes:

birdman0494
06-08-2009, 11:35 AM
But you'll cash that check she wrote. Do you even know their name or do you just go by a house number? :rolleyes:

I agree allotof big lco go out of business with that mindset....

lyube
06-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Dressing in drag, going to said customer's house, shouting "I'M RICK JAMES" while slapping customer across face is the ONLY solution for this problem.

Husky05
06-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Ya I know the customers name, and I meet with them almost everytime I am there. They come say hello, tell me if there is anything else they need and thats it. Alot of my customers work during the day so no, I dont see them but what is the difference. Should I cut there lawn on Saturday morning when they are home?

ADLAWNCUTTERS
06-11-2009, 03:23 AM
Take him to court.It's a matter of principle.

gmlcinc
06-11-2009, 07:48 PM
He starts rambling in foreign language now :/

There's your problem right there! I deal with quite a few of these foreigners. Most of the time I have to go and collect at their business or house, but some do pay. Take him to court.

Ramairfreak98ss
06-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Sounds like maybe he used to work at a "call center"? Wears a white robe? Has a funny accident? Give him a fair bid and he says, "You have the best bid but could you come down 25%?".

Yep, bid on par with other low ballers and still they want it cheaper, even when they "accept" your quote, they still "assume" that theyll just complain at the end and then try to play down the original invoice another $100 or two.

This guy is now saying hes going to bring a receipt for $300 pressure washing his 24" x 40' sidewalk into court so he gets reimbursed lol. He thinks that although he owes me $900~ that "ill have to pay him" good luck with that :hammerhead:

Mississippiturf... you got that right. Of course when its past the point of fixing something for someone who just flat out "doesnt want to pay their bill", nothing you can do can fix it. There is nothing wrong with this individuals "3rd" lawn cut and yet now he suddenly has a problem paying for all 3?

sfTD... your right, i have zero tolerance for people like this. Late on several payments, then complain, then complain more, fix things the first time to their satisfaction, still not to their liking, they complain more, demand more services, still havnt paid then claim they refuse to pay. Fk that.

Kaferhaus, how do you work payment on the same day with people who are away, not home or in and out while your working. Since many times we dont know exactly when we will be finished etc...

Of course, with a situation like this, we would have been finished, the guy would probably have complained at the end, we would fix any issues he didnt like, he would still complain etc.. I guess eventually before its dark out you'd be paid though vs. waiting over a month and still not a dime as in this case :/

snapper man... Yeah invoicing the residential sector is taking its toll finally. We've been buliding up a lot more maintenance jobs even this year compared to last, and billing minor/petty jobs like $100-400 mulching, trimming, bed edging, weeding jobs take more time with paperwork than theyre worth even if theyre completed in an hour or less.

After hearing how some of you bill the same day, i think ill start changing terms from 14 and 30 days to payment required the same day. In court your awarded some rediculously low rate of 6% apr, its pennies per day on late payments even if the invoice is $1000 or even $10k late for two months is like a $20 late fee :/, by that point, id take a 1k loss just to get the other 9k finally paid !

Ramairfreak98ss
06-11-2009, 08:29 PM
ALC-greg... what do you mean "know the property". Do you feel we should have walked the property prior, each time? Should we do this on EVERY property?

Ive walked several properties in tall grass to search out any obstacles, only to hit baseballs, concrete chunks, sticks, dirt mounds covered over by grass, aeresol cans of old wd40, god that sucks, 6x6 paver stones in back yards you name it!

Does it matter that the property is 1.5 acres, point .15 acres or 15 acres? The grass was probably 7-9" tall in the area where the line was hit, its not a very obvious "opps". If he hit it out in the middle of the front yard i would have ripped into him though.

C-master, Yes! We cant divulge much info about that on here though as many past threads get canned because of any type of profiling, even though the NJ state police do it every day lol.

Big Bad Bob, thats funny, thats half of central jersey in that story right there! Go through the high end developments, 500k homes in a row, it goes like this. Nice, Nice, Nice, bang! 2' tall grass, nice, nice, nice, nice, bang! hayfield rows after bi-monthly mowing!

I love the people who BAG their bi-monthly hay fields, like hunny, its time to harvest the grass up, what do they eat it? Ive seen people with 1/4 acre lots put Garbage bags on their curb, took one guy ALL saturday to cut .20 acres worth and had about 35 huge bags out there... not too bright .

We started the lawn only a day or 2 after the mulch job, the mulch job didnt require a deposit, the lawn service did and was supposedly being mailed..... early that next week, of course, still didnt get any deposit.

brucec32
06-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Sounds like you got taken by the oldest con in the lawncare game. Find an LCO who will do your massive big dollar job up front w/o getting paid immediately, run up a big tab, don't pay, see how gullible and desperate the LCO is, then let it ride as long as possible before he starts to pressure you for payment, then when you think he's not going to work for free anymore, suddenly decide that the LCO is doing a terrible job! Goad him with ridiculous demands into losing his temper, then declare that you shouldn't have to pay someone who insulted you and hope he's too busy to sue you. He certainly has no "proof" he mowed the lawn when he said he did. After all, you have established the concept that he never mowed the lawn and will tell that to the judge. Offer to pay some pittance if he really gets serious.

2 weeks later, repeat the process.

It's amazing to me how easily some are duped by those with the illusion of true wealth. They are often the most in over their heads with failing businesses and such. Never cut someone a break because you think they are so loaded they will eventually pay. Often they are the type who only pay those who demand it the loudest

and the "collect a check every visit" thing is an absolute hoot Certainly not the answer

Ramairfreak98ss
06-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Sounds like you got taken by the oldest con in the lawncare game. Find an LCO who will do your massive big dollar job up front w/o getting paid immediately, run up a big tab, don't pay, see how gullible and desperate the LCO is, then let it ride as long as possible before he starts to pressure you for payment, then when you think he's not going to work for free anymore, suddenly decide that the LCO is doing a terrible job! Goad him with ridiculous demands into losing his temper, then declare that you shouldn't have to pay someone who insulted you and hope he's too busy to sue you. He certainly has no "proof" he mowed the lawn when he said he did. After all, you have established the concept that he never mowed the lawn and will tell that to the judge. Offer to pay some pittance if he really gets serious.

2 weeks later, repeat the process.

It's amazing to me how easily some are duped by those with the illusion of true wealth. They are often the most in over their heads with failing businesses and such. Never cut someone a break because you think they are so loaded they will eventually pay. Often they are the type who only pay those who demand it the loudest

and the "collect a check every visit" thing is an absolute hoot Certainly not the answer

yeah thats pretty much it :/ He now has another company doing the lawn... my buddy from the next town over, so ive heard all about it.

My buddy though has cut this guys dunkin donuts commercial small property all year and last year though so he feels "comfortable with him" paying his bills... Time shall see, since the guy has gone through several companies in the last 2 years for his residence. And the biggest kicker is this..

The "ahole" client spoken about above, calls up my buddy and tells him "my company" cut the lawn for $5 LESS than we really did AND included tax... so guess what? Although my price was already low, under $70 before tax, he is now cutting the lawn for $60 including tax :( ... what a great client huh? Already lying to the company you have an established reputation with! He will burry my buddy in a heap of problems whenever he sees financially fit, now especially because hes doing work on 2 dunkin donuts AND his house, 3 accounts can chew up some good free services in a months time :/

JCPM
12-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Ok, I'm going to top everyone.

I've been working for two assisted living homes here in CT. They are apart of Benchmark Assisted Living in MA. Their offices have been very unstable since I started with them 5 years ago. Many execs coming and going. However, I always got along with everyone and never received any complaints.

JCPM
12-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Sorry I got cut off when I tried to edit that post.

I'm not typing that all over again.

Long story short; They fired me with no just cause because the company pushed them to use on set of vendors for all of the CT homes.

They had 12 month seasonal contracts and I got stuck with 7k due to me.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Nope, I only have people call to tell me 'don't cut my lawn this week'.
Sorry Charlie, you signed agreement, I cut.

topsites
12-02-2009, 02:38 PM
The one that irks me lately are the folks who call me for an estimate,
I get that all made up, deliver it, then I hear this:

Once we reach a decision I'll let you know EITHER way!

Yeah right, how about if you don't call me I can guarantee I won't show up.

Must be a test of some sorts, I guess I'm failing it.

LouisianaLawnboy
12-02-2009, 04:08 PM

I love it.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I hate waiting on people to write a check. It seems as though it takes me 15 minutes to cut and 5 minutes to get the check.

Yater
12-02-2009, 04:39 PM
I had two people tell me I didn't cut their lawn this year.

One lady said that there's no way I could have cut front and back in 15 minutes. She said it took her "other guy" over an hour. She paid but dropped me later that week.

The next was a guy who wanted me to clean and cut his overgrown back yard down "short" because he was having a party that weekend. I cut it at 3" (same height as I did the front) and he told me I hadn't cut it and he wouldn't pay until I did. I unloaded the brush I'd collected that day in his front yard and called it even.

topsites
12-02-2009, 05:31 PM
I had two people tell me I didn't cut their lawn this year.

One lady said that there's no way I could have cut front and back in 15 minutes. She said it took her "other guy" over an hour. She paid but dropped me later that week.

The next was a guy who wanted me to clean and cut his overgrown back yard down "short" because he was having a party that weekend. I cut it at 3" (same height as I did the front) and he told me I hadn't cut it and he wouldn't pay until I did. I unloaded the brush I'd collected that day in his front yard and called it even.

I hear ya, nice one there, I had some earlier, I went out to cut the grass
and clean up the leaves, they weren't super thick but it needed doing.

I'm about 3/4 ways through and here she comes, check in hand.
You know what that means, and if you don't, I sure do!
Because I'm not stupid, I know that check is made out JUST for the price of cutting the grass.

So before she had the chance to hand me the check, I told her it would be more because of the leaves.
And she says "Oh no, my husband and I didn't want you to do the leaves!"

It didn't catch me by surprise as she might have intended or expected, matter of fact it didn't surprise me one bit.
My only hesitation was due to some gears turning, what to do exactly, once I had it down I told her to keep the money.

And believe it or not that floors them, too.
Oh yeah, for the next several minutes she's really TRYING to slip me that dang check, and I would NOT take it.
Yes sir, you see because now THEY can't sleep with total satisfaction, either.
And that was my goal, they can lose a bit of sleep over it, too.

Too bad I didn't have no brush with me, but I did leave the yard at the 3/4 point, yet another reason they can keep it.

It's just crazy with some folks, for this thread and all the ones like it, one simple answer: better off without them kind.

JCPM
12-02-2009, 05:39 PM
I always have customers that request that I bag their lawn on occasion but never understand why it costs more. I've since made it a point to tell them that it will cost atleast 50% more to bag and 100% more to bag and remove the clippings offsite.

JCPM
12-02-2009, 05:42 PM
I actually had a customer call me and tell me that we didn't do her leaves one year. She wanted to have them done early because she was having a party that weekend. We came and cleaned the whole yard perfect and it was covered again by the end of the day because of the wind. That was a fun conversation.

Big Bad Bob
12-02-2009, 06:32 PM
I actually had a customer call me and tell me that we didn't do her leaves one year. She wanted to have them done early because she was having a party that weekend. We came and cleaned the whole yard perfect and it was covered again by the end of the day because of the wind. That was a fun conversation.

I had a lady, (friend of wife's family ) whom we cleaned her lawn. None of her neighbors clean their yard. Ran into her in a store the other day and she kind of jumped on us about when we are going to clean her yard. I looked at her puzzled like. She then said she was joking but that her yard was covered from her neighbors lawn but she couldn't afford to have us do it again. We looked at her yard and at least the leaves were spread a bit thin and probably won't hurt the grass IF we get a good snowfall soon. They were actually blowing across her lawn and gathering on her neighbor's lawn. We cut the grass short during the cleanup and that helps.
We also had a new customer whom we fertilized and they accused us of not spreading the fert because there wasn't any on the sidewalk or any piles of granules like the last guy used to leave. I showed them the granules in the turf but he wasn't convinced. He paid me but then he spread some himself right after. We dropped that nut.

STIHL GUY
12-02-2009, 10:44 PM
once i mowed a lawn that was well overgrown and when i finished and left an invoice the owner tried to tell me it had just been mowed the day before