PDA

View Full Version : Busted the wheel hub on my exmark. What do i do now

maelawncare
06-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Well my seal started leaking like crazy on my wheel motor. So i got my seal kit and started to take off the wheel hub. And wouldnt you know my 2 prong puller didnt pull it off. Just snapped it in 2 :( And i still dont have the dam thing off.

So how do i get this off now? Im at a lose.

Breezmister
06-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Well, what I would do is take my air powered cut off grinder or my Sawsall and split the hub at the key way. If you don't have those tools...take it back to the shop.....
Maybe some one else has a better idea..............

VT_Grassman
06-07-2009, 01:57 AM
Splitting the hub is going to be pretty hard and you will obviously have to be careful not to damage the axel.

Maybe you already got it off??

If not, I have always relied on heat. Heating that hub (trying NOT to heat the axel) will cause it to expand and usually will do the trick. If you don't have a regular torch setup sometimes a small propane type torch(plumbers torch/homeowner torch) with a Mapp gas cylinder attached (it gives allot more heat than propane) will work almost as well.

Also, spray some PB Blaster (Auto Part store) solvent in the keyway. That stuff does amazing things with seized parts!

ricky86
06-07-2009, 03:39 AM
Well, what I would do is take my air powered cut off grinder or my Sawsall and split the hub at the key way. If you don't have those tools...take it back to the shop.....
Maybe some one else has a better idea..............

This is the way to go. Just cut at the keyway. After you get through, support the hub and split it with a large chisel. Safe and quick. Heat wont do squat, and it's not seized. It's a tapered fit. And by the way, have you ever attempted a repair on a wheel motor? The seal you see is not the problem. The seal that is leaking has most likely worn a deep grove in the output shaft. More than .015 and your wasting your time. Don't mean to bum you out, but something to look at.

bohiaa
06-07-2009, 08:55 AM
looks like the snap ring is still on the shaft.

maelawncare
06-07-2009, 10:28 AM
looks like the snap ring is still on the shaft.

No you cant see the ring until you the get the hub off. i already had it off once.

maelawncare
06-07-2009, 06:57 PM
oh and you cant just cut it off. the wheel hub goes inside. it presses on. so you cant get to all of it to cut it off.

ricky86
06-07-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm not quite sure what you mean. It must be different than all they others I've seen. You must have a "one of a kind there"

Breezmister
06-07-2009, 08:27 PM
oh and you cant just cut it off. the wheel hub goes inside. it presses on. so you cant get to all of it to cut it off.

Then cut as much as you can......and like ricky86 said, take a chisel to it. It's only cast and it will split, start at the front and work your way back, spreading it.

razor1
06-07-2009, 08:43 PM
I had to pull the hub on my Lazer last year and a typical 2 or even 3 prong puller wouldn't even come close to removing it. You need an automotive style puller and it will pop off. (you may need to drill the hub since part of it is missing) This is what I used and it worked great>>> http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-4482-otc-7394.aspx
and I was able to borrow it from a local auto parts store. Good Luck

ricky86
06-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Yes, a hub puller should have used that in the first place. There is not enough material left now. I have removed broken hubs by cutting at keyway. I don't understand why when people ask for advice, they are so sure it won't work, without even trying?

maelawncare
06-08-2009, 06:14 PM
It was a hub puller. It was a 2 prong hub puller. My dealer had a 3 prong and pulled it off just fine. But the 2 prong snaped it.

And the hub goes into the housing that holds the wheel motor. Which is why you cant get to all of it.

Breezmister
06-08-2009, 06:41 PM
:drinkup:Well, let us know how you make out......

punt66
06-08-2009, 06:50 PM
never seen a 2 prong puller. That was your big mistake. Dont know what to tell you with it now. the only thing i can think of is to cut the other non broken side off. Then use a grabber type puller on whats left and heat the hub before you put the gun to it.

razor1
06-08-2009, 09:03 PM
It was a hub puller. It was a 2 prong hub puller. My dealer had a 3 prong and pulled it off just fine. But the 2 prong snaped it.

And the hub goes into the housing that holds the wheel motor. Which is why you cant get to all of it.

That must've made a heck of a bang when it snapped. Although kinda expensive, have you considered replacing the whole assembly. (wheel motor & hub etc.) At least then you'd have a back up if it ever happened again.

ed2hess
06-08-2009, 10:20 PM
The seal that is leaking has most likely worn a deep grove in the output shaft. More than .015 and your wasting your time. Don't mean to bum you out, but something to look at.
On my WB it was the bearing that damaged the shaft and the seal just couldn't keep the oil in. Shaft way too expensive to repair.

jlouki01
10-04-2009, 05:09 PM
For future reference in case anyone else stumbles across this thread you just snug up a 3 prong puller and tap the hub with a hammer and it will pop right off.

Jay Ray
10-05-2009, 10:41 PM
I have removed broken hubs by cutting at keyway. I don't understand why when people ask for advice, they are so sure it won't work, without even trying?

You are right, and you don't even have to grind quite all the way into the keyway, just close. Then a chisel will fissure the rest of it and the taper will release much easier.