PDA

View Full Version : Kawi 23hp dies and blows blue smoke

dbvolfan1
06-06-2009, 09:55 PM
I have a '07 CC M48 tank with a 23hp Kawi engine. The tractor was purchased new last Nov. from a Cub dealer and now only has 24hrs.

To date it has run perfect.
Took it out tonight to check see if the deck was pitched right. About 30 seconds after starting, while still keeping it at ~1800rpms waiting for it to warm up it started to stumble and I noticed it was burning blue oil smoke out the exhaust. Within about 10 seconds it stopped acting up and ran fine.

I brought it into the garage, made some deck adjustments, checked the oil level and took off to check the cut. About 5 minutes in, it started running really rough, blew a bunch of blue smoke and completely died.
I tried cranking it further and all I got was blue smoke out the exhaust and a few puffs of flames. Np luck whatsoever starting.

I let it sit for ~30 minutes while I went to get a trailer to load it up into and figured I'd see if at least started to get it up in the trailer. It fired right up and had no issues.

Any suggestions on what it could be? Oil was changed at 9 hrs and is correct color and level. Everything else seems to be in order on the surface.

Any help would be appreciated!

dbvolfan1
06-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Well, the CC dealer has had it for almost 2 weeks and is putting in some new gaskets on the carb as the 1st step and then doing a pressure check.
Sure hope this fixes the issue. I'd like to think this is just plain dumb luck but hard to fathom an engine that costs this much and has been babied smoking like this at 24hrs.