PDA

View Full Version : John Deere tractor with 16 HP Kawasaki engine

Norms Nook
06-06-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm not getting any fuel from the tank to the carb. Engine will run when fuel is gravity fed into the carburator so it is not a carb problem. I don't think it is a fuel pump problem because I tried two fuel pumps and neither made a difference. I think it is a problem with vacuum coming from the engine block through the vacuum hose that attaches to the fuel pump.

I disconnected the vacuum hose at the fuel pump while the engine was running and didn't feel any vacuum.

Can anyone explain how much vacuum I should feel at the vacuum hose and how is that vacuum produced in the engine block? Is there a mechanical device inside the block that could be broken? Is this a common problem with the 16 HP Kawasaki engines.

FYS777
06-06-2009, 11:04 PM
hi have you changed the fuel filter? have you blown back from the filter towards the tank to see if there is blockage? have you checked to see if your getting fuel to the pump, these things you haven't mentioned, thought i would ask. if you blow back to the tank take the lid off. how old is your mower ? check the hose make sure it dosen't have a whole worn some place?

DT Lawn Care
06-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Ya, check your fuel filter. If it is a vacuum problem, take off your engine covers and see if there is a huge grass/debris buildup or something in there around the flywheel and engine block. I've taken my covers off after I've had problems, once I had the biggest mouse nest I've ever seen (with a cooked mouse in it), and another time, a SNAKE NEST!!! LOL

Good Luck

Norms Nook
06-08-2009, 10:30 PM
How about answering my question and skip the suggestions how to fix the problem. i've tried everything you suggested and more. I want to know how much vacuum I should feel on the vacuum hose going to the fuel pump when the motor is running. And second, what is the mechanical device that produces the vacuum inside the engine block. If you don't know these answers, then don't respond. Thank you.

FYS777
06-08-2009, 11:11 PM
How about answering my question and skip the suggestions how to fix the problem. i've tried everything you suggested and more. I want to know how much vacuum I should feel on the vacuum hose going to the fuel pump when the motor is running. And second, what is the mechanical device that produces the vacuum inside the engine block. If you don't know these answers, then don't respond. Thank you.

Hey norm nook, instead of getting snutty, call john deere and find out, its free and call with your ser, number and mod, num. and ask them. and why ask here if your bio, is fixing mowers, its a no brainer to call J.D.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FIRST>

Norms Nook
06-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Sorry I came across badly. This was my first time using a forum and frankly I am disappointed in it. I was very irritated when your reply did not not address my questions. If I had wanted help diagnosing the problem, I would have asked for it. I had already tried all the suggestions you and folks on craigslist made before I posted my very specific questions about the quantity of vacuum and the mechanism that delivers that vacuum. Neither you nor anyone else seemed to have read my original questions on this subject and went on your merry way trying to help me fix my problem.
If you are going to respond to forum questions, please address the person's questions and don't make up your own questions to answer. Thank you.

FYS777
06-09-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm not getting any fuel from the tank to the carb. Engine will run when fuel is gravity fed into the carburator so it is not a carb problem. I don't think it is a fuel pump problem because I tried two fuel pumps and neither made a difference. I think it is a problem with vacuum coming from the engine block through the vacuum hose that attaches to the fuel pump.

I disconnected the vacuum hose at the fuel pump while the engine was running and didn't feel any vacuum.

Can anyone explain how much vacuum I should feel at the vacuum hose and how is that vacuum produced in the engine block? Is there a mechanical device inside the block that could be broken? Is this a common problem with the 16 HP Kawasaki engines.

Hello... this is a no brainier... call JD and you might find your answer . check your compression if to low wont suck, or make vacum to move fuel, could be block vac line....