PDA

View Full Version : need to kill grass

Tjw1104
06-06-2009, 10:27 PM
I am Creating a few new beds where grass in currently, i worked for a guy an i rememberd weed wacking the grass to the ground and spraying something dont remember what it was. dont mind doing it by hand but i wanna ensure no grass comes back

so baisicly what can i use to kill the grass and, something that wont harm new plants i will be putting the following day

Thanks for the help
please pardon my ignorance

Tim

davidl79
06-06-2009, 10:51 PM
We normally use a trimmer and take the grass out. Then spray roundup. You can also rent a sod cutter and cut it out. If you bid high enough for the sod cutter rental it would save you time and energy. The weed mating should help control any weeds.

CMerLand
06-09-2009, 09:51 PM
I dont mind your ignorance so much as Davids who has a long list of equipment hes proud of giving you poor advice. In order for any weed control to be effective you need to have leaf surface area for the pesticide to be absorbed. Additionally roundup is translocated to the root zone so needs time to be effective. A couple days allows you to see any areas u missed and a chance to retreat. Roundup has no soil activity so you can plant anytime after you spray it.

Therefore grinding the grass down to dirt and then spraying whats left is a waste of time and product. The proper way would be to leave the grass long, spray the roundup give it a few days to work into the root zone, then go ahead and do your planting and the roots of the grass will die out in time under the mulch, stone or whatever you put down.