THC
06-06-2009, 10:43 PM
2001 cavalier.

My rear brake lights - not working
My rear turn signals- not working
Rear reverse lights- working
Rear 3rd brake light in window- working
Trunk opening- working

It doesn't look like the bulbs or the fuses. Any idea? I've googled some strange solutions like spraying WD40 in the hazard light switch and toggling it back and forth a bunch of times, replacing Pressure switch at brake pedal?

THC
06-06-2009, 11:10 PM
The turn signals on the front blink VERY fast btw.

Restrorob
06-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Sounds like you have a ground fault somewhere, Are you getting power to the rear bulb sockets using a test light or multimeter ?

Then the ground at the rear socket can be tested with either as well....

I would throw the other two suggestions out the window for now.

THC
06-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Yeah there's power, the tale lights work. They have those bulbs with two filaments in them, I guess the 2nd filament lights up when you depress the brake.

I actually googled *fast blinkers, and got a nugget of info that I've never heard of before. It said that fast blinking is a warning sign that your one of the bulbs is burning out or burnt out. So if you left is fast one of the bulbs on the left is fubared.. I have fast blinking on both sides. I guess it's possible that both bulbs burned out at separate times and no one noticed. I never drive this car myself, I only drive trucks.

Tomorrow I'll try replacing both bulbs and hope it's as simple as that. It's amazing how many people are on the net search for light problems with cavaliers.

davido30093
06-08-2009, 12:26 PM
If you replace/verify that ALL of the bulbs are good, you may have a bad multifunction switch.