PDA

View Full Version : Scared to Hire help

dtelawn
06-07-2009, 12:53 AM
I am at the crossroad of where I am going to have to hire an employee for 3 days a week, or completely sub out a few accounts. I have 2 friends that have been reguarly cutting a few of my yards because I have been drowing in work on my own. Sometimes they work with me on weekends. I would like some experienced advice on what works smoother. I am afraid to loose the personal touch if I sub-out work. Personal service is a major point of my business success. However this is causing me to stress over my schedule to ensure all customers get taken care of. Let me know the pros and cons of each decision.

bohiaa
06-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Customer service is the business were in. " It just is" people get confortable with someone and dont want to change that. when I started a crew and sent them out. I lost 5 accounts. Simply because I wasn't there. I feel that if I had informed the customers that my foreman would be handleing there lawn this may not have happened.

letting them know that I would be overseeing the operation would have helped too.
JMO.

dwlah
06-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Finding someone to do it the way you want it gone is hard enough
and as bohiaa said customer service is what its all about
Last fall I subbed out a couple of yards to a guy that thought he wanted to strike out on his on This spring he was into other things and mowing wasnt in his schedule so Ive got a helper now and we get all my yards done

Ive come to the conclusion if the customer sees change even just having a different helper you need to talk to the customer and let them know whats going on

A couple of years ago when I started out on my on I took some yards over from the guy I was working with (he was retiring) even when I had been going to these yards for 3-4 years with him I still lost a couple of them because he wasnt doing the yard

Personally Id go with hiring a helper thats what has worked for me
but everyones situation is different

zimmatic
06-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Im going to be hard on you. Quit being afraid. Hire someone or shed some accounts. If you want to stay small with that personal touch great. If you want to get bigger and still want that personal touch its going to be wild and be ready to loose a few accounts. My personal touch is always being availvable 24hours a day. I personaly answer every call. My wife hates it. Then it is my job to inform my employee's on what needs to be done and then check up on the work. While I am there also talk to the homeowner and tell them what I am doing. Plus selling more services.
I was like you afraid to take the leap. I took it an I admit I looked back a couple of times but pushed forward and my company is better for it. Yes I lost accounts because of it. I can truly say the ones I lost I should have gotten rid of.
Now go for it! Make lots of $$$

bohiaa
06-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Im going to be hard on you. Quit being afraid. Hire someone or shed some accounts. If you want to stay small with that personal touch great. If you want to get bigger and still want that personal touch its going to be wild and be ready to loose a few accounts. My personal touch is always being availvable 24hours a day. I personaly answer every call. My wife hates it. Then it is my job to inform my employee's on what needs to be done and then check up on the work. While I am there also talk to the homeowner and tell them what I am doing. Plus selling more services.
I was like you afraid to take the leap. I took it an I admit I looked back a couple of times but pushed forward and my company is better for it. Yes I lost accounts because of it. I can truly say the ones I lost I should have gotten rid of.
Now go for it! Make lots of $$$

because of the way I did it. " and learned" the above is GREAT advice.
I would like to add that there are going to be many Leaps to overcome.
I'm facing another one right now. it seems that these leaps will come at ya hard and heavy and you will never be prepaired for them.

Let us know what you decide. WERE pulling for ya.....:)