PDA

View Full Version : discharge chute up or down?

djflats
06-07-2009, 03:15 AM
I'd just like to know how many mow with the discharge chute down or do you cut with it up. Right now I have a bungie cord on it and it is lifted about half way. Does the position of the chute effect the cut at all? Just curious...thanks.

Big Bad Bob
06-07-2009, 03:45 AM
I'd just like to know how many mow with the discharge chute down or do you cut with it up. Right now I have a bungie cord on it and it is lifted about half way. Does the position of the chute effect the cut at all? Just curious...thanks.

In the taller spring grass I keep the chute up otherwise you can get rows of clippings. I find that when mulching leaves such as maple or oak, it chops better with the chute down. Then I either bag or lift the chute and broadcast the clippings and leaves.

djflats
06-07-2009, 03:53 AM
As wet as it's been this spring here I've been cutting with the chute about 1/2 way open, maybe a little more. I just cut here at home right now but with work, it's hard to keep up with...as you all know. When it starts to get a little dryer I'll try dropping it all the way down.
I just wanted to know how you guys in the business do it and for what reasons. I just cut here, no mulching. Thanks for the response BBB.

Puddle of Oil
06-07-2009, 03:54 PM
i took mine off!

MileHigh
06-07-2009, 04:06 PM
i took mine off!

Likewise...at least on my WB's.

It gets in the way and worst of all, it makes the clippings not disperse out as widely..

Safer?...probably. but I'm not the safest dude around either.

Richard Martin
06-07-2009, 04:10 PM
What's a discharge chute?

MileHigh
06-07-2009, 04:12 PM

LMAO....

Good one :drinkup:

GreenAcresLandscaping
06-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Mine is always up because most of my customers have irrigation and the grass is always thick, with it down it doesn't disperse the clippings as nicely.

metro36
06-07-2009, 04:50 PM

I dont know. Do mowers come with those?

nosparkplugs
06-07-2009, 05:12 PM
For saftey reasons I run my "chute" closed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hawg City Lawns
06-07-2009, 05:18 PM
shoot i dont have a chute

freshprince94
06-07-2009, 05:45 PM
I hate my discharge chute...tried mowing with it down today and it was a PITA. I'm going to get an OCDC for my mower to replace it. In the meantime, it's going up from now on.

djflats
06-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Mine doesn't get in the way much but I don't have a lot of obstacles to mow around. I use the bungie to keep it raised about 1/2 way so the clippings discharge better.

packey
06-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Ok the grass chute makes no difference to how the mower cuts. Its whole purpose is to deflect cut grass and small flying debris toward the ground. It is a saftey piece of equipment. You are more likely to have debris fly higher into the air without one creating a much higher risk of damage created by flying debris. I understand wet heavy grass tends to clump more with one completely down but the alternative could be the replacement of a 1000 dollar window. It's your call

Big Bad Bob
06-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Ok the grass chute makes no difference to how the mower cuts. Its whole purpose is to deflect cut grass and small flying debris toward the ground. It is a saftey piece of equipment. You are more likely to have debris fly higher into the air without one creating a much higher risk of damage created by flying debris. I understand wet heavy grass tends to clump more with one completely down but the alternative could be the replacement of a 1000 dollar window. It's your call

I saw a rock come out from under the chute and busted the guys siding about 3 feet up. Plastic chute.
And yes it affects the way the leaves are chopped. I guess it's because it adds restriction kinda like a mulch plate but to a much lesser degree. And having the chute up or off you reduce your need to double cut when the grass is growing fast.

W.L.M.
06-07-2009, 07:43 PM
I mow with it up or if it is a close quarters situation I bag, with the thick grass here it leaves terrible windrows with it down.

ixlr8
06-07-2009, 09:24 PM
In the past I ran with my chute up to get better grass dispersion. BUT when the mower kicked up a rock and hit a passing motorist in the head... my insurance company made it clear it was a safety item and best left down if I wanted to continue to have coverage.

FastMan
06-07-2009, 09:30 PM
I was kind of surprised last week when I demo'd a Scag pro V,,, it had the chute removed. Seems like a big liability no-no.

2menandamower
06-07-2009, 10:34 PM
I have a power chute with both of my machines and I love them. If they were to break I would rig them up to get through the day. Can not imagine mowing without them.

Vinny
06-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Mow with the chute up. you will get a better and nicer distribution of the grass clippings. just watch so you dont propel any debris that you may come across.

1993lx172
06-07-2009, 11:52 PM
I have mine up but if I need to put it down all I do is unhook the rope that holds it up. I tied one end under the seat and the other to a hitch pin clip that slips over the chute. I generally have it down on the first outline pass and when there are alot of beds around, but generally the chute is either up or the bagger is on.

puppypaws
06-08-2009, 12:21 AM

My discharge chute has never been down, that does not mean there cannot be a mowing situation it would benefit. The deck has less restriction with the chute up, therefore it discharges clippings and handles damp grass much better.

Commercial mowing has different scenarios, some areas may benefit with the discharge chute down for safety reasons alone, some may want it half way down to discharge the grass in a particular pattern. That is really all a discharge chute or blocker does is give you the choice of how you need or wish to have the clippings dispersed.

I mow wide open areas at 15 mph, which means I want nothing restricting the ability of cut grass leaving my deck in any way shape or form. I would love to have the size discharge hole EverRide has on their deck, with Scag's TT being the next largest. The larger the opening, the easier it is on the deck to rid itself of cut grass, in return your engine works easier and gets better fuel economy.

BadRancher
06-08-2009, 01:38 AM
For safety reasons always leave down.

lzrj
06-10-2009, 06:46 PM
I hated the long metal discharge chute that was on my Everride Warrior. It left the grass coming out too low to the ground and caused rows of cut grass. Plus it got in the way when I try to mow with the discharge side towards ditches or hills. I did not like the grass flying all over me with it off, so a friend made me a metal chute blocker for mulching. I mostly leave it up when mowing which still allows the grass to fly out and disperse while also keeping it from flying too high and coming back all over me with a slight breeze.

saylorsdad
06-10-2009, 07:11 PM
the badboy chute on our mower justs flips up without a bungee cord. if I am around cars or people I just flip the chute I think of it as a ocdc in a way. I still will buy a ocdc in the future just out of conveinance.
Posted via Mobile Device

STIHL GUY
06-11-2009, 12:09 AM
my discharge chute is sinning in the back of my garage. i dont even use it

Wizz
06-11-2009, 12:16 AM
but I'm not the safest dude around either.

Now that is funny :drinkup:

Hovey's Lawn Care
08-24-2009, 01:14 PM
I chute up too! lol.

KS_Grasscutter
08-24-2009, 02:11 PM
I don't use a discharge chute on my Grasshopper, but I bag with it 50% of the time or more. Sometimes I will fold the chute down on my Toro WB to help keep dust off me on some of my ghetto lawns, but that's it.

TLC_Lawns_TN
08-24-2009, 02:35 PM

I mow w/ my chute down as much as possible but it's flexible and doesn't really ever get in the way. Also it seems that--unless the grass is just CRAZY thick--it makes for a neater overall appearance. With my chutes up it seems to blow the clippings out all over the swath I'd just mowed and makes it look crappy and unprofessional.

Tinkerer
08-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Over the years I've done a lot of chute up or chute removed mowing. But the closer I was to people and cars the more nervious I was. I had some item to sell and one day met a guy in a side lot of a local bar. The lawn surrounding the parking lot was up at about 5 feet above the blacktop with a retaining wall between blacktop and lawn. When the person met me there was a lawn service mowing the grass with a wide walk behind. There was NO deflector on the chute and as I was talking to this guy the mower opening was pointing right at my face. Thankfully the mower didn't hit anything but it sure made me nervious being right in the line of fire from those blades spinning at nearly 200 mph.

rain man
08-24-2009, 05:10 PM
In tall thick grass the chute seems to restrict grass flow on our mowers. To disperse clippings we also raise the chute and raise the deck about one inch. It may be my imagination but when vacuum is desired it seems that the chute being down helps a bit. Lastly, we never raise the chute in situations where safety of others or property damage is a consideration.

Paul's LC
08-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Likewise...at least on my WB's.

It gets in the way and worst of all, it makes the clippings not disperse out as widely..

Safer?...probably. but I'm not the safest dude around either.

yah did that on my stander. when its down it makes the mower like a foot wider... if i wanted a 60" deck, i woulda bought one lol

kmzlawncare
08-24-2009, 10:37 PM
We use dixie choppers that come with a manual ocdc and it works great when mowing around people, cars, or anywhere you don't want grass or anything else blowing out the chute.

lifetree
08-24-2009, 10:40 PM
... Safer ? ... probably. but I'm not the safest dude around either.

Just wait until someone files a lawsuit gainst you for some type of injury !!

Big Bad Bob
08-24-2009, 11:33 PM
Just wait until someone files a lawsuit gainst you for some type of injury !!

They wouldn't dare!

Tinkerer
08-25-2009, 01:21 AM
When I was just a high school kid mowing several around 4 townhomes my pushmower hit a small rock and it hit a woman going by in her car with the windows down. She barely got scratched but she DID come back to ask me if I had insurance. At that time I did not. It didn't go any further.