PDA

View Full Version : Patio-porch deadline/ Please help

maxwilbryan
06-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Pics below. Paverstone (Belgard) porch extended with concave front with 2 convex semicircle steps leading down to patio.
I have a Thursday deadline for a front porch extension/overlay and patio install. This is my first install with any kind of hardscape. I am using Belgard product. The patio was tile and i popped it off. I plan on mortaring pavestone around edge of porch where tile was lay sand bed where i will fill in the rest (roof covers porch). I have poured a footing for wall including rebar. While mortar was wet i set first course and happy withe result. This first course will be under ground an the second will be flush with pavers. Please help
Materials: 1 5/8" pavers 3 1/2" tall celtic wall and steps

Questions:

I pulled out a considerable amount of crush and run from existig patio. Can i refill and tamp with this? There isnt a lot of "crush dust stuff" in it but there isnt going to be a whole lot of traffic on this. (the picture shows material tamped to subgrade. Adding 4" more, 1" sand, plus 2" pavers.)

Is fabric necassary?

Should the celtic stairs be fused in with the wall or should i add for porch first the build semi circled stairs?

The order? 1) Focus on patio 2) build wall 3) add stairs 4)overlay porch ?

God i'm nervous.
thanks

maxwilbryan
06-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Well max, I think you are screwed. Try applying for the garden department at home depot.

patpls
06-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Sadly, the horse has bolted. If you intend to continue to be a hardscaper you need to sub this out, watch and learn, and realize when you're over your head in the future.

Bru75
06-07-2009, 05:20 PM
I don't get exactly what you are trying to do, but if you are trying what I think you are trying you will have a very hard time finishing by Thurs.
Good luck.

BrandonV
06-07-2009, 06:31 PM
i'm not sure what you're doing either, how about drawing on one of those pics you have (print it out, draw your plan on it, scan or photograph it and post it again) for us

2low4NH
06-07-2009, 07:49 PM
how thick is that cretebase? im a little confused at what you are trying to do. you are in way to deep. your never gonna be done by thursday unless you hire a few more guys and work round the clock.

PatriotLandscape
06-07-2009, 08:14 PM
you poured a concrete footing for a srw? you wasted your time. no reason you should be able to finish by thursday just get to work and work all available hours. assuming 3 guys thats 144 man hours way more than that job should take.

2low4NH
06-07-2009, 09:17 PM
it looks like hes doing the wall and extending the patio out to the wall. not sure. this is a decent project for a first timer. im gonna guess you way under bid this too.

kootoomootoo
06-07-2009, 09:18 PM
The rebar is upside down

maxwilbryan
06-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Yes. I am extending patio. I have asked for some backup. Hopefully the guy knows what he's doing. He acts like it's not a big deal. I did underbid and i'll break even at worst b/c i'm pretty cool with client. Profit isnt important at this point. Getting it done is. Thanks for the responses.

2low4NH
06-07-2009, 10:13 PM
your going to have a hard time compacting your base. your gonna get sagging arount the outer edges of the patio after about a year as well.

PatriotLandscape
06-15-2009, 10:18 PM
any updates?

maxwilbryan
06-20-2009, 06:32 PM
We finished on time. I definately couldnt have done it without some help from a friend and his crew (best 1,000 ive evr spent). I'll show finished pics with landscaping later.

Ground Effects NH
06-24-2009, 05:07 AM
We finished on time. I definately couldnt have done it without some help from a friend and his crew (best 1,000 ive evr spent). I'll show finished pics with landscaping later.

bump:confused:

maxwilbryan
08-11-2009, 03:59 PM
I know its been a while but here's what the final product.

Bru75
08-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Looks good except for the crooked paver joints in the second pic.
Won't they let you replace that old sidewalk, too?

DVS Hardscaper
08-11-2009, 06:44 PM
looks way better than I was envisioning. Yeah, the crooked joints do look bad.

I just hope the add-on part of the porch pavers doesn't settle. We have a prospective client with a porch with add-on pavers - that settled.

maxwilbryan
08-11-2009, 07:17 PM
[QUOTE=DVS Hardscaper;3136223]looks way better than I was envisioning. Yeah, the crooked joints do look bad.

I just hope the add-on part of the porch pavers doesn't settle. We have a prospective client with a porch with add-on pavers - that settled.

Is it that big a deal on a circular patio? Porch was layed on a 1" mud bed wit a 1" layer of sand
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
08-11-2009, 07:49 PM
its not the wall that settles - its the pavers, the part that extends past the existing porch. I'll post pics of our prospective client's porch in another thread another day.

maxwilbryan
08-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

capelawncare.com
08-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Is that Sago planted in the ground? I didnt think they could survive up there.

maxwilbryan
08-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

maxwilbryan
08-11-2009, 08:12 PM

It ain't gona makeit through the winter. I'll put it out again next spring.
Posted via Mobile Device