PDA

View Full Version : Fusion Blades On Super Z

puppypaws
06-07-2009, 10:13 AM
The Hustler fusion blades never cease to amaze me. I put a worn out set on a while back to rough cut some areas. When I say worn out, I am talking about the sail on the back of the blade vitually gone.

My wife was cutting normal grass (I should have already changed the blades, but had not), and I was watching her, I thought to myself, that mower is flying. She was cutting wide open on a Hustler Super Z (15 mph), with completely demolished blades. She was cutting at a low height (2.75") and absolutely flying, most people say you cannot cut grass at 15 mph with perfect blades and do a decent job. I actually took the mower and finished cutting some areas she is a little afraid of. I got on the mower and started cutting, and was in an area where I could run possible 10 mph.

I heard what I knew to be a deformed blade under the deck, as well as feeling some vibration. I finished cutting in about 15 minutes and there was absolutely no grass left standing anywhere, or none that looked different in any way.

I took the mower to the shed and snatched it up in the air, got a new set of blades, took the 18 volt Dewalt impact wrench, zipped them off and put the new set on.

I started looking at the old blades and thought to myself, there is no way these blades could possibly have been cutting grass and doing a good job.
I will try and make a picture of the old blades, if I remember. The sails were virtually gone, with one being ripped out partially, this is what was causing the different sound from the blades turning.

These fusion blades on a Hustler Super Z are truly unbelievable, for the length of time they last, as well as being able to continue giving a very respectable cut while being demolished. I personally; will always pay the higher price for this type blade.

TimsLawnCareVA
06-07-2009, 12:13 PM
I agree, the Fusion blades are awesome! That's all I will run on my Hustler.

puppypaws
06-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I agree, the Fusion blades are awesome! That's all I will run on my Hustler.

I've got a buddy that also grows chickens in Farmville, Va by the name of Will Sanderson, super person, do you know him by any chance?

Hawg City Lawns
06-07-2009, 05:20 PM
thats all i will run fusions and fusion gators

puppypaws
06-07-2009, 09:40 PM
thats all i will run fusions and fusion gators

I certainly have seen no blade manufactured come close to the toughness of the Oregon fusion blade. I've got to make pictures of the grass cut and the demolished fusion blades, I removed after finishing. It is really hard to explain how blades in that bad of shape; was able to cut grass period.

puppypaws
06-08-2009, 04:37 PM
These are the blades I took off that were still cutting and doing a good job of not leaving anything. I look at these blades and can't understand how they could possibly cut anything. You can see chunks knocked out of the sails and places torn, this makes for a little extra vibration. When I put the new blades on; there was no sound other than strong air turbulence under the deck. The mower deck had no vibration, and I could tell the machine was working much easier.

tacoma200
06-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Does Fusion make a high lift for the XR7 now? I remember when I had mine they were available in medium lift only for the Hustler.

djagusch
06-08-2009, 05:32 PM
These are the blades I took off that were still cutting and doing a good job of not leaving anything. I look at these blades and can't understand how they could possibly cut anything. You can see chunks knocked out of the sails and places torn, this makes for a little extra vibration. When I put the new blades on; there was no sound other than strong air turbulence under the deck. The mower deck had no vibration, and I could tell the machine was working much easier.

I have taken off blades worse than that and they still cut well. Those actually could be sharpened and used one more time. When the sails look like your fingers making a peace sign then they are done.

Downunder Bob
06-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Sorry Puppy but in my conditions (probably similar to your own) I can't justify the extra money for the fusions especially when the sails wear out before the edge.

I've asked PJ before "why can't the sail on the fusions be hardfaced" I can't remember what he said at the time, it might have been that it makes the blade too expensive.

That is why I hardface my own. I like the standard Hustler stepped blade for its thickness (longevity).
If I keep these blades sharp they perform just as good as the fusions but last a lot longer.

Regards
Rob

JDiepstra
06-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Are you kidding me OP? Those blades could be sharpened another 10 times minimum. They look almost new. I had to check your post count and sig to see if you were a newbie or a homeowner.

Walk Behind Metro
06-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Do they mulch well?

Do they make a 26 inch blade that I could strap on my P.O.S. Exmark metro 26 to help it out?

puppypaws
06-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Are you kidding me OP? Those blades could be sharpened another 10 times minimum. They look almost new. I had to check your post count and sig to see if you were a newbie or a homeowner.

Yes, they can be sharpened but the sail is ripped worse than you can tell in the picture. Blades just don't suit me when they get where the sail is ripped and causes vibration, I am not cutting the bad places out and getting vibration from unbalanced blades. Running 175 hrs. a year I can afford new blades, I have 3 new sets now.

I wished you lived closer, I've got 6 sets in a bucket that are in better shape than those, and I would gladly give them to you.

JDiepstra
06-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Yes, they can be sharpened but the sail is ripped worse than you can tell in the picture. Blades just don't suit me when they get where the sail is ripped and causes vibration, I am not cutting the bad places out and getting vibration from unbalanced blades. Running 175 hrs. a year I can afford new blades, I have 3 new sets now.

I wished you lived closer, I've got 6 sets in a bucket that are in better shape than those, and I would gladly give them to you.

My apologies. I spoke without thinking of the effects of the sail failing prematurely. That is too bad.

Z-Man
06-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Does Fusion make a high lift for the XR7 now? I remember when I had mine they were available in medium lift only for the Hustler.

Tacoma200
No, but I use the Exmark High Lift Fusion Blades on my 60" XR7 (#491-506). They work a lot better than the standard Fusion blades that came with the XR7.

z-man

puppypaws
06-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Tacoma200
No, but I use the Exmark High Lift Fusion Blades on my 60" XR7 (#491-506). They work a lot better than the standard Fusion blades that came with the XR7.

z-man

You are cutting northern grass which requires more suction (lift), to give a better cut. The standard fusion blades that come stock on the XR-7 do an excellent job in southern stiff bladed grasses and weeds. There is a great deal of difference in cutting stiff bladed grass that is standing up perfectly at all times, versus heavy limp bladed grass laying in all different directions. I do not need more suction at the 2.75" height I cut, whereas with your northern grasses, it requires as much suction as possible to cut 3.5" and above, especially with the XR-7 deck creating less suction the higher it is raised.

Different actions, cause different reactions, in variations of cutting across the country.