PDA

View Full Version : KUBOTA ZD221 to replace my Walker MT for daily use

nosparkplugs
06-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Fuel economy is the main reason for my switching to diesel I can tell you that my AOS diesel is averaging .66-70/gal/hr. While my Walker MT 20hp air cooled Kohler running a 42" GHS deck ias averaging 1.0-1.75gal/hr. So for me I can mow 3 wide area church's or about 25 acres with the Cat diesel, and burn hardly 5 gallons of fuel. During the same time running side buy side, the Walker will go through 5 gallons of gas, and maybe mow 1 acre of grass directly around the church's.

For spring & fall clean-ups or trashy commercial properties, and those accounts that require a vacuumed manicured cut I will always keep a Walker MT.

I just cannot continue to see such higher production & fuel savings running diesel on wide area's and loose my ARSE burning gas for the residentials or area's a 72" deck is just to big to fit into. So it's time to convert the entire trailer over to diesel.

I need a diesel with a smaller deck, The Walker MD is a fine machine just pricey at 14K vs a ZD221 48" for under 14K

B Gillespie
06-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Any more thoughts on this? Im thinking along the same route to replace a Turf Tiger with an ailing motor and gasoline addiction.

Are you looking into the compact or full size frame?

How is the Kubota's side hill performance? Cut quality? Trim capability in a full frame 54" deck?

NORTHMAN
06-12-2009, 03:48 PM
nosparkplugs,did you give up on the idea of a BB diesel with a small deck?Are you going to bag with the Kubota?

tacoma200
06-12-2009, 04:08 PM
A Grasshopper with a 22 diesel mows surprisingly well and smooth. You would think that wouldn't be enough power but they get the job done around here. That might be an option also.

grassman177
06-12-2009, 07:26 PM
i thnk the bota is the way to go, i love mine. have heard some good things aobut these newer smaller deck mowers they have made. good luck and take pics, we need them

nosparkplugs
06-12-2009, 07:43 PM
My Walker Dealer also sells Grasshopper & Hustler. I made an honest attempt to purchase a Grasshopper Diesel from them before, Their really high on their price's. Since The Bad Boy AOS diesel purchase they have really changed their pricing with me on their ZTR's. But I now say "a dime short & a day late", but my hats off to them, there trying to get me to go with a Grasshopper 321D, but the smallest deck Grasshopper offers with a diesel is a 52" or 54"? deck:hammerhead:. Also the Kubota diesel on the Grasshopper is smaller in displacement than the Kubota ZD221 with a 48" deck?. Grasshoppers spec numbers are almost vague, and give you spec info that's almost useless.

I like the Kubota ZD's as well as the Bad Boy's. It's about application for me, a diesel with a 48" deck is going to save me time & money

A Grasshopper with a 22 diesel mows surprisingly well and smooth. You would think that wouldn't be enough power but they get the job done around here. That might be an option also.

Scagmower48
06-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Fuel economy is the main reason for my switching to diesel I can tell you that my AOS diesel is averaging .66-70/gal/hr. While my Walker MT 20hp air cooled Kohler running a 42" GHS deck ias averaging 1.0-1.75gal/hr. So for me I can mow 3 wide area church's or about 25 acres with the Cat diesel, and burn hardly 5 gallons of fuel. During the same time running side buy side, the Walker will go through 5 gallons of gas, and maybe mow 1 acre of grass directly around the church's.

For spring & fall clean-ups or trashy commercial properties, and those accounts that require a vacuumed manicured cut I will always keep a Walker MT.

I just cannot continue to see such higher production & fuel savings running diesel on wide area's and loose my ARSE burning gas for the residentials or area's a 72" deck is just to big to fit into. So it's time to convert the entire trailer over to diesel.

I need a diesel with a smaller deck, The Walker MD is a fine machine just pricey at 14K vs a ZD221 48" for under 14K

14k for a 48 diesel is ridiculous. I just paid $7500 for my 54" ZG227 gas burner. No way a diesel cost 6500 more.

nosparkplugs
06-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Yep, the Walker MD's are running 14K with one deck. Some on here preach you "pay for what you get", I agree sometimes, but their are always good diesel options without buying a Walker MD. Man knows I would like one for the fuel economy

How much more were Kubota ZD diesels out their on the east coast. If I remember their are a few Walker MD owners from the east coast on here.

14k for a 48 diesel is ridiculous. I just paid $7500 for my 54" ZG227 gas burner. No way a diesel cost 6500 more.

Scagmower48
06-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Yep, the Walker MD's are running 14K with one deck. Some on here preach you "pay for what you get", I agree sometimes, but their are always good diesel options without buying a Walker MD. Man knows I would like one for the fuel economy

How much more were Kubota ZD diesels out their on the east coast. If I remember their are a few Walker MD owners from the east coast on here.

To be honest with you I really don't know. I would consider a diesel more if it was not for the shear weight of them. The 221 weight wise would be fine for me but I wanted a bigger deck. Last year when pricing them out I had 12500 written in one of my brochure for a 54" diesel. That price was with a bagger.
These Kubotas are awesome. Gas or Diesel they are built like a tank.

Donald A
06-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Kubota has promotion going on, 0% financing I think for 4 years.