PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Do?

MOturkey
06-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Here is the scenario: Guy calls on Thursday, saying he is in a bit of a bind, and has an overgrown lot that must be mowed by Monday, as notice has been served by the city. He says he needs it bushogged. I told him I didn't have a bushog, but if it is just grass, I can probably handle it, and will be glad to go look it over.

Okay, he gives me a little more information. The property is an estate owned by someone in Texas, and he does the mowing, but it got out of hand because of all the wet weather, and his "little" mower just won't handle it. I asked if it had all been mowed this year, and he said "Yes".

So, I run up and look at it. It is late in the evening, so I don't walk the whole thing (yow, I know I should have), just looked at it from the drive, and didn't see anything we couldn't handle with the Z's. I called him and said I could do it the next day (Friday), and that I'd charge him by the hour, and guessed about 2 hours.

Friday afternoon we go to mow, and I realize the lot has a jog in it I couldn't see from the drive, which made it about a third larger than I thought. Also, when we started mowing, it became obvious that about half or more hadn't been touched this year. It ended up taking almost 3 hours of mowing, but I split the difference with him, and charged him for 21/2. I know I didn't have to, but still came out OK on the job. He drops by this morning with a check.

Now, here is the situation. While I was finishing up the job, my wife was talking to a neighbor who told her he had lived there three years, and the guy only mowed the place once last year, and it hadn't been mowed at all this year except right around the building, which I had already surmised by the thickness of the grass and weeds. I'm thinking he is getting paid by the estate to keep it mowed, but isn't doing so. The city is cracking down on code enforcement (this is the second I've done n the past week), and he was afraid he was going to get busted. I don't get the impression he has a mowing service, just someone that is mowing this one property perhaps because he knows the owners or something.

My question is, should I find out who the owner of the property is and write them a letter offerning my services for REGULAR mowing, or just drop it? This would probably be about a $75 job if mowed bi-weekly or so. In one way, the gentleman is a customer, and I feel some loyalty to him, but I'm sure this is the only time he'll use me. IF he is charging the estate for mowing, and not doing it, then they really should know, whether or not they hire me to take care of it. Also, oddly enough, the property is for sale, and is listed with a local realty firm. I can't imagine them not contacting the owners if it isn't being mowed, unless this guy is a crony of theirs.

Just wondeing what some of you would do? Thanks. Neill

Heintooga
06-07-2009, 01:15 PM
If I were interested in it as a regular I'd persue it. If it were my property I'd want to know how it was be kept (tongue in cheek).

bohiaa
06-07-2009, 02:00 PM
This Must be a joke..........

MOturkey
06-07-2009, 02:16 PM
This Must be a joke..........

And why, pray tell, would you say that, if I may be so bold as to ask?