PDA

View Full Version : Shindaiwa C35 - Any way to test ignition module??

davefr
06-07-2009, 02:18 PM
My C35 brush cutter won't start. I've ruled out fuel and compression. The coil tests good at <1 ohm primary and about 3k ohms secondary.

However I don't see a visible spark. Is there anyway to test the solid state ignition module? It's located on the outside of the unit. At $55 + freight it's a little spendy to buy if it's not really the problem.

Is there a foolproof way to test for spark? (I've been fooled before trying to observe spark from a plug outside the engine and grounded).

4.3mudder
06-07-2009, 02:57 PM
(I've been fooled before trying to observe spark from a plug outside the engine and grounded).

That is the way I have done many in the past and never had a problem.

Breezmister
06-07-2009, 11:00 PM
.Is there a foolproof way to test for spark? (I've been fooled before trying to observe spark from a plug outside the engine and grounded).

If you have the shroud off, just put the plug up against the cylinder and pull the recoil. I'll assume you have changed to a new plug, just to rule the plug out. And disconnect the switch, many years back I had a Shindawa that had a bad switch that was grounding out the coil. Run your fingers along the wires for any rough spots that might be rubbing against the tube or crank case. Rule all these things out and you still don't have spark.......:)

ed2hess
06-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Just an FYI...my module on a Kohler test okay for impedence but no spark. I put another one same impedence and it worked fine. I am going to get a darn good spark tester. I tested mine in a dark room but sometimes you can have a weak spark and still have a problem. Or at least that is what my shop says.