PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer Problems

Cuttinitclose
06-07-2009, 02:47 PM
This will probaly be moved to the Mechanic section, but well see how many awnsers I can get before they notice. Anyway, My JD trimmer idles fine but when you give it gas exspecially full throttle it wants to die. I'm running Amsoil Saber 50:1 in it and recommends 50:1 so its not the mix. Any ideas?

4.3mudder
06-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Either fuel restriction, carb out of adjustment, or a plugged up muffler. I would look into the muffler first. If it is clean, the high speed might need to be adjusted on the carb. I would make sure no fuel lines are kinked and the fuel filter is clean.

4.3mudder
06-07-2009, 02:51 PM
I forgot to mention, even though the trimmer recommend 50:1, you can use the Amsoil Saber at 100:1. It is synthetic.

Cuttinitclose
06-07-2009, 03:10 PM
I don't know much about motors and that but my grandpa is good at them so I will have him help me. Thanks! Anyone else ideas?

Ford4Ever
06-07-2009, 04:17 PM
try running your oil at 80:1 or 100:1

Cuttinitclose
06-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Took the screen off the muffler and works fine now.

dishboy
06-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Start with the easy and cheap first. Pull the muffler and decoke the exhaust pot and muffler. You can use a dull small screw driver to do this in the port, BE CAREFULLNOT TO SCRATCH THE PISTON OR CYLINDER WALL! When you are finished you can remove the plug and use compressed air to blow out the cylinder from both holes. You can use a larger screwdriver to reach every thing in the muffler you can knock loose and then tap the muffler on concrete until carbon stops coming out. Be careful not to dent the muffler. Next throw away your fuel filter and replace with a new one if it has been in there more than six months. Also check that the fuel line inside the carb has not wore or chaffed where it rides in the bottom of the tank. Still no go replace the plug . If these things do not resolve your issue you will have to clean all the passages in the carb with carb cleaner and blow out with compressed air. If you have never done this get somebody who knows how to show you. If the cleaning does not cure the problem go back into the carb and replace the diaphragm. Another thing to check is the tank vent, if it plugs, no air out , no fuel in.

dishboy
06-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Took the screen off the muffler and works fine now.

I did not see that , anyway now you know my method of keeping the trimmers out of the shop.

bighaydenslawn
06-07-2009, 09:28 PM
This will probaly be moved to the Mechanic section, but well see how many awnsers I can get before they notice. Anyway, My JD trimmer idles fine but when you give it gas exspecially full throttle it wants to die. I'm running Amsoil Saber 50:1 in it and recommends 50:1 so its not the mix. Any ideas?

Thought you got an FS 90R.......

Cuttinitclose
06-07-2009, 10:02 PM
I have both.

sdk1959
06-07-2009, 10:53 PM
No gas and oil to premix, more torque and power thru the WHOLE band not just at high RPM's, quieter, more fuel efficient, lower emissions.

Two stroke gas trimmers eventually will go the way of the 2 stroke Kawasaki Triples motorcycles from the 1970's because of pollution controls. I give them 10 years or less.

I once had a 10 year old (at the time) used H-1 500 Kawasaki Triple, oil injection- no premixing, pussycat at low RPM's, but once in the sweet spot of the powerband...... FAASST..... Still miss that ole' Kawasaki howl when I opened it up. Sounds similar to a big 4 barrel carburetor sucking in the air on the older cars when you punch it. The H2 750 Triple still holds fastest 1/4 mile record for a 750cc.:) Anyone use to own or remember those bikes?