PDA

View Full Version : Scag dies when blades are engaged

warrior392
06-07-2009, 04:25 PM
I have a Scag SWZ 52A-17KA walk behind with a 17hp Kawi motor. It starts and runs but as soon as you engage the blades it almost dies and seems to run at about half throttle. I removed and cleaned the carb and it made no difference. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

towtruck212
06-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Maybe water in the gas

warrior392
06-07-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't think so because it ran out of gas and i just put new gas in and it is doing the same thing. I should also mention that i replaced the fuel filter when i cleaned the carb. I am going to pull the spark plugs and see what they look like.

ed2hess
06-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Check to see if maybe you might have a restriction in the gas tank. Take the gas line off at the filter and blow backwards into the fuel tank.

viper00085
06-07-2009, 08:38 PM
sounds like it may only be running on 1 cylinder. They will run okay until you put the blade load on it and if it is on one cylinder it will really struggle and drop major rpms. Pull one plug wire off at a time and see if it continues to run on the other cylinder. If you find one side thats dead, check for spark, plug condition, compression, and the if you still have not found a problem, remove the valve cover and look for bent pushrods or valves not opening all the way. Its the time of year where we are starting to see alot of overheating damage from clogged cooling areas on the heads of the twin cylinder kawasakis. if you happen to see bent or off push rods, look for moved out exhaust valve guides not allowing the valve to open all the way.

warrior392
06-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks i will check it out. I noticed the left cylinder (when facing the engine from the front) had A LOT of old grass and debris packed around it when i was taking the carb off. I cleaned it out but now i'm thinking it might have been overheating.

warrior392
06-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Checked it out and found it is only running on 1 cyl. I will have to lok at it closer later in the week.
Thanks

nemow
05-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Checked it out and found it is only running on 1 cyl. I will have to lok at it closer later in the week.
Thanks

What was the fix???!!! This is my problem with the same engine. Im typing with greased hands. Whats the solution?

The Lawn Ranger CT.
05-18-2010, 06:46 PM
My Kaw 17hp was doing the samething and had the same problem running 1 cyl., ...the fix is a new coil....easy to replace and set.

nemow
05-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Im getting a spark and compression. Could it still be a coil even if Im getting a spark?

DT Lawn Care
05-18-2010, 11:41 PM
Remove the valve cover on the bad side and check them out. It's a common issue for a push-rod to pop out or for them to be out of adjustment. If they are fine, I would follow up with the coil issue.

My dad has this same engine, had the same problem, and before I could say anything, he bought a coil. I suggested valve issues after the coil didn't fix it, turns out a pushrod had popped right off. New pushrod, adjusted to spec, runs perfectly now.

warrior392
05-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Mine turned out to be a bad coil.