PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to keep cool?

brodo374
06-07-2009, 03:31 PM
been cutting for 10 years now...it gets very hot and humid here in west tennessee...to cool off i hose myself down every 3rd or 4th yard (during the extremely hot days). is there a better way?

MileHigh
06-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Nope............

BadRancher
06-07-2009, 04:25 PM
We livw in the southeast. I don't believe there is a way to keep cool unless you can invent a backpack a/c. All you have to look forward to is the a/c in your truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

LBLC_LCO
06-07-2009, 04:28 PM
I keep a wet towel in my cooler, wipe off with it and wrap it around my neck to cool down, helps some. Really just have to suck it up and drive on.

freshprince94
06-07-2009, 04:32 PM
At least in FL, trying to stay cool is a losing battle. I try to reduce the heat as much as possible by wearing Under Armour (loose fitting) shirts, and drinking a lot of fluids. There's not really much you can do other than savor the A/C in the truck.

Kingram52
06-07-2009, 04:34 PM
You don't know what hot is untill you live in Arizona , but it's a dry heat.
I like to walk thru the sprinklers or accidentally fall into the swimming pool.
lol

LBLC_LCO
06-07-2009, 04:37 PM
At least in FL, trying to stay cool is a losing battle. I try to reduce the heat as much as possible by wearing Under Armour (loose fitting) shirts, and drinking a lot of fluids. There's not really much you can do other than savor the A/C in the truck.

I'll second the Under Armour, its all I wear.

greendoctor
06-07-2009, 05:10 PM
been cutting for 10 years now...it gets very hot and humid here in west tennessee...to cool off i hose myself down every 3rd or 4th yard (during the extremely hot days). is there a better way?

Nope. You are very smart not to test your ability to tolerate the heat. There is nothing macho about being found unconscious in a pool of your own body fluids. Just fainting from the heat is only in the movies. In real life, unconsciousness happens only after you have puked yourself, S$%^ your pants and peed yourself. Drink as much water as you can. Snack on potato chips, those have both sodium and potassium. Lastly keep wet. I live where it never goes below 70 in the day time in the "winter". The rest of the year can hit low 90's with high humidity. If I am out working, it is in faded jeans, white button down long sleeve shirts and a close fitting undershirt. The only time the long sleeve shirt comes off is when I am getting wet in the sprinklers or hose. Keeping the sun off of your skin and not wearing any dark colors helps a lot. I do not understand what companies are thinking putting their employees out in the sun in dark colored uniforms.

SNAPPER MAN
06-07-2009, 05:16 PM
I agree with greendoctor, you have to cover up yourself or you are just going to be hotter. I always wear long sleeve company t-shirt, jeans, bandanna around my neck, and a wide brimmed hat. Keeping the sun off your skin will reduce temperature. Drink lots and lots of fluids too, but not too much because that can be just as bad. I do not understand how some people work outside in shorts and a sleeveless shirt, you are just asking to have skin cancer down the road. Here you will very very rarely see a lawn crew or anyone else working outside not covered up. Why do you think the Arabs in the Saudi Arabian desert are covered head to toe in white robes, because it is cooler to keep the sun off of you. They have been doing it for thousands of years so it must be working.

AdvancedLawns
06-07-2009, 05:29 PM
florida water and ice water and some towels around your neck

QualityLawnCare4u
06-07-2009, 05:31 PM
I keep a 5 gallon bucket of water with a frozen one gallon milk jug in it to keep the water cool. I dip a towel in the water every so often then wrap it around my neck. Also wear a large straw hat to keep the sun off as much as possible and drink LOTS of water. I ain't getting no younger and it gets harder and hotter every year.

greendoctor
06-07-2009, 05:34 PM
How true. Any time I see someone outside not covered up, the only conclusions I come up with are that it is not hot enough for them, they are showing off their muscles, or they working on their tan/future skin cancer. Only time I am not covered up is if I am checking/adjusting an irrigation system. Then all exposed skin has a waterproof SPF 40 sunscreen. Because I am Asian, I tan some, then burn a lot. But dark skin in the sun is really hot, more so than if I were very fair.

boomer08
06-07-2009, 06:37 PM
while riding on long trips on my Goldwing I used to take my shirt off and get it completely wet with tap water and ring it out just a bit and put it back on and it felt great. It lasted about 30-45 minutes on the bike but it may last longer while mowing.

South Florida Lawns
06-07-2009, 07:01 PM
The heat doesn't seem to bother me much. If you drink enough water you will get used to heat fast.

CajunMeauxJeaux
06-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Florida water, ice water in an ice chest & a towel. That is the stuff for Extreme heat. Must be a Louisiana thing.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100302&navAction=jump&navCount=0&nug=VPD&skuid=sku311627&id=prod11627

AdvancedLawns
06-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Florida water, ice water in an ice chest & a towel. That is the stuff for Extreme heat. Must be a Louisiana thing.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100302&navAction=jump&navCount=0&nug=VPD&skuid=sku311627&id=prod11627

exactly what i said...your right, it must be a louisiana thing..ha

bohiaa
06-07-2009, 08:02 PM
not only beating the heat. a few of you younger guys MUST LEARN TO PROTECT YOUR SELVES FROM THE SUN.... that means cover up.....

ever noticed an older man working out in the heat ?

it may be 98 outside and he will have long sleves.

greendoctor
06-07-2009, 08:08 PM
It is 90 and 70% humidity outside most days here and I will not go without my L L Bean Oxford shirt. Call me an old man too. Once I started working in the green industry, I knew better than to bake myself while working. I remember my grandfather sitting on his tractor, in long sleeves and a straw hat to cover his head and face.

2menandamower
06-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Try this. Fill the cooler with ice and bottled water. When it gets hot in the day and you are hot and sweaty and ready to give up take an empty water bottle and fill it with the ice cold water fro the ice that has started to melt and pour it over your wrists and half way up your arms. You will feel your body temp drop about 10 degrees almost instantly. The veins and arteries are close to the skin here and the cold water acts like a radiator and cools the body. (Paramedic for 9 years before this carreer). We used to put ice packs here in the bends of the arms, on the neck, and behind the knees and in the groin to cool off heat stressed patients. Try the wrists because if you pour cold water in your crotch people are gonna look at you like you pissed your pants and laugh.....

Triplex
06-07-2009, 09:56 PM
I worked on golf courses and we used to start very early AM to avoid the heat. I was going to mention that, but then it occurred to me that running noisy machinery at 6 AM is a good way to piss off customers if you're doing residential work. If you have some commercial properties in your mix of customers, you might try starting with those as soon as it gets light. Maybe talk to your customers and find out who's up early and won't be bothered by mowers at dawn.

amor4421
06-08-2009, 12:03 AM
i put ice packs in my pants every yard. then i piss my pants and no one ever knows the difference. haha really long shirts big brimmed hat and lots of water in this great florida heat and when it rains stand out in it for a few mins until the rain passes by.

corey4671
06-08-2009, 03:37 AM
ride around with the heat in the truck on full blast and it won't seem so hot when you get out!

SNAPPER MAN
06-08-2009, 07:41 AM
ride around with the heat in the truck on full blast and it won't seem so hot when you get out!

It's funny that you say that because we never use the A/C when working because we don't want to get use to the cold and then get out into the heat....plus I get alittle better milage...Biggest key to staying cool is just cover up, I don't know why so many people are opposed to it because it works!

mdlwn1
06-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Rinsing off will only make you much hotter, as you will lose the ability to release moisture. Hose off at lunch when you have the ability to COMPLETELY dry off. You can however rinse your forearms for a quick cool down. I always wear under armour and a thin cotton shirt which helps wick the water away quickly. Do not wear jeans. Laughing at some of the posts recommending so. Nothing like a dark dense material to over heat you...lol! WIDE BRIMMED HATS...like the guy above said.

lawncuttinfoo
06-08-2009, 08:28 AM
There is really no viable alternative to dark jeans, lighter color shows off the grease and lighter weight material rips easy. wide hat and light shirt though of course

rlmelton
06-08-2009, 02:03 PM
I've ordered a new deal from a company called Koolvest.com. The have packets that freeze in your ice chest in about 20 minutes and stay frozen for about 3 hours. Ther have neckbands and vest. I'll let you know if it works.

ALC-GregH
06-08-2009, 02:21 PM
your brain is the most important part to keep cool. Lay a towel on you head that was dipped in ice water and stick a hat on over it.

TheC-Master
06-08-2009, 02:32 PM
We livw in the southeast. I don't believe there is a way to keep cool unless you can invent a backpack a/c. All you have to look forward to is the a/c in your truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't even have AC in my truck.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Nope. You are very smart not to test your ability to tolerate the heat. There is nothing macho about being found unconscious in a pool of your own body fluids. Just fainting from the heat is only in the movies. In real life, unconsciousness happens only after you have puked yourself, S$%^ your pants and peed yourself. Drink as much water as you can. Snack on potato chips, those have both sodium and potassium. Lastly keep wet. I live where it never goes below 70 in the day time in the "winter". The rest of the year can hit low 90's with high humidity. If I am out working, it is in faded jeans, white button down long sleeve shirts and a close fitting undershirt. The only time the long sleeve shirt comes off is when I am getting wet in the sprinklers or hose. Keeping the sun off of your skin and not wearing any dark colors helps a lot. I do not understand what companies are thinking putting their employees out in the sun in dark colored uniforms.

Seriously? It only get's to 90??? Im moving to HI! It get's to 100 and humid here in NY and then it's below freezing for 3 months. Best of both world's:cry:

just4funthen
06-08-2009, 04:42 PM
I work in Buffalo which isnt known to be super hot but in late July and August it can reach mid 90's. Once in a while it gets close to three digits but it can be humid up here. While mowing/trimming I wear sneakers with mesh so air can get in and out. I love to take a blower and blow my feet at full throttle. Feels like ice water! Also, soak your head in water! after I do those 2 things, I feel like a new person.

ed2hess
06-08-2009, 07:56 PM
It's funny that you say that because we never use the A/C when working because we don't want to get use to the cold and then get out into the heat....plus I get alittle better milage...Biggest key to staying cool is just cover up, I don't know why so many people are opposed to it because it works!

I bet your employees love that..........Having a good AC in the trucks is the reason our guys hurry to get the job done and back into the truck. Some guys let the truck run while they mow. I am going with the AC on full blast.

SNAPPER MAN
06-08-2009, 08:05 PM
I bet your employees love that..........Having a good AC in the trucks is the reason our guys hurry to get the job done and back into the truck. Some guys let the truck run while they mow. I am going with the AC on full blast.

It's not me who turns it off. My guy doesn't like to have it on. We just run with the windows down and its fine.

greendoctor
06-09-2009, 01:29 AM
Seriously? It only get's to 90??? Im moving to HI! It get's to 100 and humid here in NY and then it's below freezing for 3 months. Best of both world's:cry:

The heat and humidity gets old when it starts around April and does not let up until December if you are lucky.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
06-09-2009, 01:46 AM
The trick is to run the fan on as cold as it goes and as high as it goes with windows down, in MN that works, when I had worked for a couple different LCO's that is usually what we did. If its really hot then the AC comes on but only right away and then is brought up to a higher temp.

ALC-GregH
06-09-2009, 09:50 AM
I'd rather be acclimated to the heat and use the breeze blowing in with the window down rather then start to cool off from the a/c only to get back out in the heat.

pinecrestwoods
06-09-2009, 06:01 PM
^^^^^^^^ I totally agree. The freeze/thaw cycle seems to zap my energy. I'd rather only cool slightly than get sleepy.

Also, someone mentioned wearing running shoes with good ventilation...... I'd rather be a little warmer and keep my toes, should something bad happen. Nothing but steel-toes, here!

LONEMAN
06-09-2009, 06:11 PM
I agree with greendoctor, you have to cover up yourself or you are just going to be hotter. I always wear long sleeve company t-shirt, jeans, bandanna around my neck, and a wide brimmed hat. Keeping the sun off your skin will reduce temperature. Drink lots and lots of fluids too, but not too much because that can be just as bad. I do not understand how some people work outside in shorts and a sleeveless shirt, you are just asking to have skin cancer down the road. Here you will very very rarely see a lawn crew or anyone else working outside not covered up. Why do you think the Arabs in the Saudi Arabian desert are covered head to toe in white robes, because it is cooler to keep the sun off of you. They have been doing it for thousands of years so it must be working.

Believe it or not, the most common form of skin cancer comes from not getting enough sun. As long as you don't burn, you are simply taking advantage of the sun, thus enabling your body to produce vitamin D, possibly the most important vitamin your body needs, which in turn prevents cancer. Sunscreen does not prevent cancer, nor does it allow the UVB rays (the good) to contact the skin which helps with vitamin D production. As a matter of fact, most sunscreens allow the UVA rays (the bad) to penetrate the skin even though you don't burn from it! If you look hard enough, you will eventually get to the truth.

Kingram52
06-09-2009, 06:13 PM
I've ordered a new deal from a company called Koolvest.com. The have packets that freeze in your ice chest in about 20 minutes and stay frozen for about 3 hours. Ther have neckbands and vest. I'll let you know if it works.

I'll have to check that vest out it sounds like a good Idea.
thanks

93Chevy
06-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Can somebody explain something to me?

I wear short sleeve shirts everyday. I wear sunscreen. When it's humid and hot, like today, I feel my head getting overheated. I don't take my shirt off because it's unprofessional and the sweat helps keep me cooler.

To me, wearing a long sleeve shirt would just constrict me so much. Even a loose one, once soaked with sweat, seems like it would stick and not let any air to the skin, thus causing overheating faster.

I'm not trying to be a Richard about this, I just don't understand. What kind of long sleeve shirts do you wear to keep cool?

I understand about keeping the sun off and whatnot, but it just seems like a long sleeve shirt would be too constrictive for me.

Kingram52
06-09-2009, 06:27 PM
How much are they? No prices on their website.

freshprince94
06-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Can somebody explain something to me?

I wear short sleeve shirts everyday. I wear sunscreen. When it's humid and hot, like today, I feel my head getting overheated. I don't take my shirt off because it's unprofessional and the sweat helps keep me cooler.

To me, wearing a long sleeve shirt would just constrict me so much. Even a loose one, once soaked with sweat, seems like it would stick and not let any air to the skin, thus causing overheating faster.

I'm not trying to be a Richard about this, I just don't understand. What kind of long sleeve shirts do you wear to keep cool?

I understand about keeping the sun off and whatnot, but it just seems like a long sleeve shirt would be too constrictive for me.

Try Under Armour...it wicks the sweat off of your body.

Kingram52
06-09-2009, 09:46 PM
I only wear longsleeve t-shirts(fruit of the loom) the long sleeve is good for wiping the sweat off your forehead. Skin cancer is real .I have had basal cell carcinoma it's not the one that will kill you(melanoma) but It leaves a nice scar where they cut it out. Remember we are out in the sun almost every day.

BadRancher
06-09-2009, 09:52 PM
A shaved head helps with keeping cool because most heat escapes your body through your head. But as stated above Keep skin protected and I guess a vented hat or cap would help shield the sun off or your help. Sunblock also helps, but will eventually sweat off.

steve4mc
08-08-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm bringing thread back. We have endured temperatures in the 114 range in Eastern OK. Green Country is now Biege Country. And my workers are suffering. I have a really hard time telling them they have to go work in the sun at these temps (and no that's not heat index, that is shade temperature).

Has anyone heard of a homemade drink called ginger water? My mom used to make it for people who baled hay in the summer on our farm. It's kind of like a pioneer version of gatorade. You take a teaspoon of ginger, a tablespoon full of apple cider vinegar, a cup of sugar and a gallon of water. Mess with the proportions if you want, but it's better if it's ice cold. There is something about vinegar in the heat that settles my stomach when it starts feeling sour. Maybe that's why I like cole slaw on a hot day. Sometimes I can drink water and after a few gallons, my tank still feels empty. On days like that I make some of this ginger water and I alternate drinking it and ice water.

But going back and looking at some other things people do to beat the heat has been beneficial. Stay cool out there.

mbean408
08-09-2011, 08:10 PM
i have a wet towel that wear over my head, shorts, and white shirts,it works, but then again i look like mary cruising around on the hydros