PDA

View Full Version : Cushman front line - engine ???

kregan
06-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Hi all,

I have an old Cushman Front Line 72" mower with a 2 cylinder diesel engine. I think the engine was made by Mitsubishi but I am not sure. Model number 898805.

A few weeks ago it started smoking from the crank case vent tube and it had a noticeable drop in power.

I checked for air in the injectors (bleed them) and that did not solve anything. Fuel filter is good, low pressure fuel pump it operating.

I am kind of stumped and I understand that they no longer make engine parts for this model ???

I am afraid it might be piston blow by but it starts great and runs fine besides the loss of power. it only smokes when the engine starts to bog down and then I get black diesel smoke from the exhaust.

Any idea's ???

Thank you for the help.

kregan
06-08-2009, 04:13 PM
:wall stopped by the locale turf center and confirmed my first thought...

Pistons, rings, short block, valves, rockers, all major engine parts are no longer available. Even the head gasket is unavailable !!!

What a shame.

kregan
06-12-2009, 09:34 PM
I decided to pull the engine apart a little further to see what was causing the problem.

Removed the heads and everything looked good. Cylinder walls do not have any defects that can be seen, push rods and rockers look good, cam looks clean, valve seats look nice and shiny, no burn spots. hmmmm

Might as well pull the pistons... Now I see the problem :dizzy:

I also saw the C75 marking on the engine. I called a local machine shop and he thinks a simple honing of the cylinders, new rings and pistons and it would be good to go. He thinks we should be able to fine the parts needed without to much trouble.

chevy deserter
07-03-2009, 12:20 AM
hi my name is brad. I have a cushman lawnmower exactly like yours and im dying to know the model numbers and serial numbers of the engine and the mower can you tell me those and where you got your parts? thanks it would help alot

greenred
07-03-2009, 05:45 AM
Kregan did you have any luck getting your mower repaired?

kregan
07-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Here is what I know so far.

The engine is a Mitsubishi C75 diesel.

I removed my engine, the heads, and pulled the pistons. Everything looks good except the pistons and rings. I cylinders are true and only need a small amount of honing. The valve need a very small amount of compound on them to clean up the seats.

Right now the biggest problem is finding pistons. The guy doing the work has feelers out to several piston companies looking for a good match.

I did find one company that can import a engine rebuild kit, pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets from Japan at a cost of $1200.00 :dizzy: I can purchase a Kohler engine for around 1600.00 and retro fit it myself if I want to spend that much.

Almost all of the parts except the deck parts are no longer available.

In my opionion $1200 - 1800 is to much money to put into a 20 year old machine that has almost zero parts availability.

I am patiently waiting to see if I can locate pistons, if I do locate something that will fit I will let you know.

If I do get this thing together again I will be trying to add an external oil cooler, If it had not been for the piston problem I think this mower would have lasted another 20 years.

hi my name is brad. I have a cushman lawnmower exactly like yours and im dying to know the model numbers and serial numbers of the engine and the mower can you tell me those and where you got your parts? thanks it would help alot

chevy deserter
07-03-2009, 07:00 PM
hey thanks i got your message and i will start looking this afternoon. yeah if you do find a cheaper of individual rebuild kit that would be nice to know, Thanks

kregan
07-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Here is the place that can order the parts for $1200

http://www.engnetglobal.com/c/c.aspx/PAR017/productdetail/PAR017_mitsubishi

hey thanks i got your message and i will start looking this afternoon. yeah if you do find a cheaper of individual rebuild kit that would be nice to know, Thanks

SfTD_service_CENTER
07-03-2009, 08:51 PM
you cant spec the pistons and call wiseco and have a custom set made? with bore and stroke config and some enginuity i am sure you could find a set that might work from a diferent engine. as you said before ebay has 31hp kawis for a grand every now and then if you look hard enough you could put a nice high output motor in there and when the mower doesnt work any more pull it out an use it on somthing else!

trappy77
07-17-2009, 09:41 PM

I own one of these also, and have looked for a long time for a make, model with no luck. It is good to know from this thread what company actually made this engine.

This engine appears to be a german design manufactured by several companies in asia. Changfa is the most common that I have found. While I am unsure if the parts actually are interchangable I do know that the changfa engine will fit, and would be a suitable new replacement.

Let me know if this is helpful in finding parts, since I have not had to repair my engine before and would like to learn from others experiences.

http://www.utterpower.com/changfa.htm
http://en.changfa.com/

kregan
07-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Thank you for the information.

Still no luck locating pistons and the price to machine a set was starting to sound high... I could tell by the tone we were talking over 500 so I just said forget it.

I purchased a new mower today and plan on parting out or selling the entire mower for parts.

PPrash
08-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Kregan, I have the exact same mower with exact same engine. Let me know if you are parting the mower out as it sounds like I should secure some parts. My email is: Phil_weber@hotmail.com