which is better, exmark or bobcat?????
*trucewhiteflag*

:weightlifter:

:walking:

:laugh:

:nono:

mowerdude777
06-07-2009, 08:40 PM
exmark exmark exmark exmark exmark exmark exmark exmark, do you under stand Joey

bobcatguy96
06-07-2009, 09:00 PM
yeah ok:usflag:

:hammerhead:

mowerdude777
06-07-2009, 09:04 PM
yeah ok:usflag:

:hammerhead:

well u allready knew I love exmark, hell your my worker

ToroLandscaper
06-07-2009, 09:13 PM
You can make a poll of exmark vs. bobcat, but truth be told most people are brand loyal. You have to RESEARCH the machines, ask for opinions etc etc. There really is not a answer to which one is better, its more of which one is going to make you money, and which is going to be a better bang for YOUR buck.

In my opinion exmark is where it is at, but they are expensive.

Bobcats are cheaper, and I have heard good things about them.

Just research.

J&R Landscaping
06-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Bobcat and Exmark are the two brands of machines I run. I like them both for different reasons.

In Bobcat, I prefer the Riding mowers if your just looking for a full size gas powered ztr. All vertical shaft engines so no screwy belt set-ups to worry about. I prefer the height of cut adjustment mechanism on the Bobcats over Exmark as well as they seem to be easier to use and require practically no lifting at all. Plus, the suspension seat comes standard.
I do think the Bobcat mower line-up is a bit out of touch though. They used to offer a EFI unit but no longer carry it. They do carry a Liquid cooled model and a Diesel but the diesel is extremely hard to come by.
For Exmark, The walk behinds are great. I like the No-flat front tires. I also love the ECS controls. I'm not sure I could go back to running pistol grips again! The manual Blade clutch on the wb mowers is great as well. Also, Unlike Bobcat Exmark has such a broad range of wb choices. Fixed and floating decks and of course gear and hydro drive. Bobcat has ended the options for a floating deck wb.

DLAWNS
06-07-2009, 09:54 PM
I have used both brands and prefer Exmark.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-07-2009, 11:01 PM
exmark is way expensive, bobcat is the cheapest $ for the mower you get, a 37hp kawi on a predator pro is like 3000 less than a 34hp exmark lazer z 60"

puppypaws
06-07-2009, 11:48 PM
exmark is way expensive, bobcat is the cheapest $ for the mower you get, a 37hp kawi on a predator pro is like 3000 less than a 34hp exmark lazer z 60"

The Predator Pro is a 12.4 mph mower with the 37 Kawi and 13.5 with the 33 Generac (which they have stopped using). I honestly wish someone could tell me why the difference in speed between the 37 Kawi and 33 Generac, there is no reason under the sun for this to be the case.

The Predator Pro will get the job done in a hurry, and cut through virtually any grass you care to put it in, with little effort from the big block 37. I would say you can put the new Exmark Series 6 in the same grass with the Predator Pro and you would not flip a coin for the cut difference, if you could even tell the difference. The 34 and 37 Kawasaki are the exact same engines to the spec, with the 37 having 3 more pounds of torque at 3600 rpms.

I wish someone would give us fuel numbers on these engines. My understanding is the 29 Kawasaki is rough on fuel, the 31, not so bad, with the 34 and 37 really drinking their share. This is hearsay, I wish someone would come in with hard numbers on fuel usage for these engines.

They must get fuel injection on these engines before the government tightens the screws any tighter. This is the exact reason Kohler is working day and night; getting their total engine line-up fuel injected.

tacoma200
06-07-2009, 11:54 PM
No such thing as better. Just different tools to get the job done.
Posted via Mobile Device

kaferhaus
06-08-2009, 08:51 AM
I owned 13 exmarks 6yrs ago. I now have 7 and 9 Bobcat's. As the Exmarks get "retired" Bobcats will replace them. Every bit the same quality mower for far less money, parts are a bit less expensive. And they're lighter which leads to less rutting.

I'm only in this business to make profits. The less I spend on equipment and maintenance the more goes into my pocket.

puppypaws
06-08-2009, 12:47 PM
I owned 13 exmarks 6yrs ago. I now have 7 and 9 Bobcat's. As the Exmarks get "retired" Bobcats will replace them. Every bit the same quality mower for far less money, parts are a bit less expensive. And they're lighter which leads to less rutting.

I'm only in this business to make profits. The less I spend on equipment and maintenance the more goes into my pocket.

I honestly don't believe people understand how good the Bobcat mowers really are, and I feel assured some people do not have access to Bobcat's products.

tacoma200
06-08-2009, 02:48 PM
I honestly don't believe people understand how good the Bobcat mowers really are, and I feel assured some people do not have access to Bobcat's products.

They have access here but brand loyalty probably plays a big role. Folks are used to seeing 4 or 5 brands and that just stick in their heads. Most average people are not even familiar with Exmark here. Grasshopper had such a large market share in this area people still think of them as top of the line (which they are very good). Bobcat just hasn't made much of a dent and few dealers carry them. That's what hurts Bad Boy also, getting quality dealers in this area that have room for 1 more brand. I believe the lower price scares some people away and makes them think they may not be as good as more expensive established ZTR's (in this area anyway). I have no problems with Bobcat.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-08-2009, 03:02 PM
all generac motors are rated to go faster, look at dixie chopper they do the same thing the kohler and diesels are slower than the generac 33. same with woods mow n machines the generac is faster. all machines i have seen with a genereac and a kohler or kawi option are this way!?!?! confusing generac must have somthing with a smaller pulley that spins the pumps faster, wierd!

the ultra cut isnt a speed cutting deck i have to go slow to get a really nice cut in really deep tall grass i bet a bobcat would out run mine in a tall grass.

tacoma200
06-08-2009, 04:54 PM
the ultra cut isnt a speed cutting deck i have to go slow to get a really nice cut in really deep tall grass .

Don't take this the wrong way SfTD, but when you first got the new Lazer I thought you were talking like it was a super, cut anything, at any speed, wet,dry, etc kind of machine. It had me kind of wondering because I had used Ultra Cuts for years and they were very good but not a super deck in tall or wet grass, nor were they perfect at 10 mph. I was just guessing that it was the excitement of having this new machine that made some of the earlier post sound like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. And I have no doubts it is a great machine.

I sounds like maybe the new is wearing off and you are realizing that while the New Lazer is probably one of the best ZTR's it has it's limitations. When you first got it the way you described it (the Ultra Cut) had me scratching my head a bit and now you are describing it much more like I would after using it for years. No doubt it is one of the best decks out there.

Am I reading you right? I am not trying to undercut the New Lazer in anyway (love to have one) just seeing if you have a more objective view of it's preformance after some seat time. From the sound of it, it does seem to be a sports car of a ZTR. Best to you, tacoma. :drinkup:

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Don't take this the wrong way SfTD, but when you first got the new Lazer I thought you were talking like it was a super, cut anything, at any speed, wet,dry, etc kind of machine. It had me kind of wondering because I had used Ultra Cuts for years and they were very good but not a super deck in tall or wet grass, nor were they perfect at 10 mph. I was just guessing that it was the excitement of having this new machine that made some of the earlier post sound like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. And I have no doubts it is a great machine.

I sounds like maybe the new is wearing off and you are realizing that while the New Lazer is probably one of the best ZTR's it has it's limitations. When you first got it the way you described it (the Ultra Cut) had me scratching my head a bit and now you are describing it much more like I would after using it for years. No doubt it is one of the best decks out there.

Am I reading you right? I am not trying to undercut the New Lazer in anyway (love to have one) just seeing if you have a more objective view of it's preformance after some seat time. From the sound of it, it does seem to be a sports car of a ZTR. Best to you, tacoma. :drinkup:

it just doesnt cut grass good when it is lowered down to 2.25 and the gras has some growth maybe 6 inches it seems like you need to double cut at 3 inches however it leaves wicked cut as fast as it can. i dont know maybe i dont say it right but the deck isnt meant for speed it will over load maybe and cut funny it will leave blade marks that make you think the deck is bent if you mow really low and the grass is taller i get all nervous somtimes thinking that somthing is wrong but i go over it again and they dissapear. the deck does cut good at speed just not all the time, and when your cutting yards that arent over grown it rocks even if it is over grown and you cut at 3 inch it still rocks if you go below 2.75 it starts to cut funny and you will need to recut. it might be that i do have somthing messed up with the deck adjustment but i measure it all the time and it seems ok measured on concrete. anyway it does have certain draw backs but i dont run into them unless it is a job where they just want the grass cut too short, anything above 3 inches and it is flawless

puppypaws
06-08-2009, 06:48 PM
it just doesnt cut grass good when it is lowered down to 2.25 and the gras has some growth maybe 6 inches it seems like you need to double cut at 3 inches however it leaves wicked cut as fast as it can. i dont know maybe i dont say it right but the deck isnt meant for speed it will over load maybe and cut funny it will leave blade marks that make you think the deck is bent if you mow really low and the grass is taller i get all nervous somtimes thinking that somthing is wrong but i go over it again and they dissapear. the deck does cut good at speed just not all the time, and when your cutting yards that arent over grown it rocks even if it is over grown and you cut at 3 inch it still rocks if you go below 2.75 it starts to cut funny and you will need to recut. it might be that i do have somthing messed up with the deck adjustment but i measure it all the time and it seems ok measured on concrete. anyway it does have certain draw backs but i dont run into them unless it is a job where they just want the grass cut too short, anything above 3 inches and it is flawless

I have listened and payed very close attention to Tacoma over the years, he has a great deal of knowledge on different decks.

The UltraCut is an extremely high suction deck, this means there is grass you are going over that most decks would not pick up, whereas the UltraCut is having to process possibly 10 to 15% more grass (just a guess). This is the reason a UltraCut deck cannot clear the cut grass from underneath its deck as well as the design of a Scag Velocity Plus, (much, much larger discharge opening).

Taking this into consideration, what you would see with a lesser hp engine is bogging to the point of killing the engine if you don't pull back. The 34 Kawasaki is so strong; what you will see is a strange pattern of uncut grass, the 34 is going to spin the blades in virtually any grass you put it into. Once you get past a certain size, or size and dampness, the deck cannot rid itself of grass fast enough to utilize very much ground speed. The engine has more power than the amount of grass the deck can process, this means you either slow down, or double cut.

I personally cannot stand to slow down, if I were in 8 to 10" of your type grass, I may cut with the deck raised all the way up on the first cut. Then I would drop down for my second cut and run full speed on both cuts, instead of trying to use one cut, only to look down beside me and watch a turtle pass me by.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-08-2009, 06:54 PM
it seems that at 3" it is good it will go almost full speed if you go higher it really stripes nice and can cut very even. but any lower than 2.5 a funny pattern like you said will occur leaving you to believe the deck is bent. low lift blades would prbly cure this! ?! i would think but who knows i dont have any low lifts right now and i just bough 3 sets of highlifts lol i gues i should have thought about that. i got the three set for 65 shipped to me so i hope they arent made of butter but that probly is the case.

Lynden-Jeff
06-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Bobcat hands down. Great mowers, greater price lol.

Cheers

puppypaws
06-08-2009, 07:29 PM
it seems that at 3" it is good it will go almost full speed if you go higher it really stripes nice and can cut very even. but any lower than 2.5 a funny pattern like you said will occur leaving you to believe the deck is bent. low lift blades would prbly cure this! ?! i would think but who knows i dont have any low lifts right now and i just bough 3 sets of highlifts lol i gues i should have thought about that. i got the three set for 65 shipped to me so i hope they arent made of butter but that probly is the case.

Am I right in my thinking, the 34 will power through anything, but faster than the deck can process and get rid of really heavy grass?

I've run a Bobcat Predator Pro with a 33 Generac in grass that would kill the 28 hp Cat and my 28 efi stone cold dead. The Generac never lost an rpm that I could tell, it could not cut and process all the big grass because I was pushing it trying to pull the engine down, and it never changed sounds. I was riding it and shaking my head, I really could not believe it.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-08-2009, 08:01 PM
yes you are right but only if you cut below 3" at 3 inch it does everything really well and the deck is at capacity, any lower it is not right might need to tripple cut depending on the way things are. alot of people want it cut below 3 right now so i am having problems with these blades. i dont know what other people cut at normally but 3 is about as low as this mower likes to cut right now, when i first bough it i was cutting at 2.5 and lower and things were perfect but now it is a differnet story.

WREBELMACHINE
06-08-2009, 08:08 PM
I demoed a bobcat 72" and was very impressed with it! clean cutter and good on hills good ride and good speed! Another plus is the frame pieces are replaceable unlike exmark if the front arms on the for bend you have to buy the front half of the machine! Been there done that and did not like it!

puppypaws
06-08-2009, 08:12 PM
yes you are right but only if you cut below 3" at 3 inch it does everything really well and the deck is at capacity, any lower it is not right might need to tripple cut depending on the way things are. alot of people want it cut below 3 right now so i am having problems with these blades. i dont know what other people cut at normally but 3 is about as low as this mower likes to cut right now, when i first bough it i was cutting at 2.5 and lower and things were perfect but now it is a differnet story.

Question, if you cut grass that is 3 1/2" down to 2 1/2", only taking one inch off, does this give the deck a problem?

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-08-2009, 08:35 PM
it might but i think i actually have a problem with the deck itself cause no matter how perfectly i set it it will leave three stripe of grass that look different at a low height. i dont know yet if there is a wierd issue but everything seems straight i hvve measured all the blade tips and they are all right on even at at 12,3, 6 and 9 oclock positions so i am thinking i might have bent the deck but it only cuts funy with it low so maybe it is a deck lifting problem but i also have looked at that and adjusted that a little bit and it still did the same thing. if i can remeberto take pictuers i will i just seem to get tied up with things to do. and plus i have caught some kind of head cold! one of my fathers workers came back from camp with walking pneumonia so i might have got it from him but i hope not. this lady told me today i had swine flu lol. i probly do but untill i cant move i wont go to the doctors, i dont like going, i have been in for soo many operations it just isnt a thing i like to go do. i know it is somthing though my one arm started aching soo bad, i have bout 12" of titanium plates in my forearm and it hurt so bad today just aching from being sick. when you demo the one your getting remeber to mow low and see what it does cause mine mowed low good when i first got it but now i changed the blades so now im nto sure if it could be a blade issue maybe ill put a new set on tomarow mornign and go from there!

puppypaws
06-08-2009, 10:49 PM
it might but i think i actually have a problem with the deck itself cause no matter how perfectly i set it it will leave three stripe of grass that look different at a low height. i dont know yet if there is a wierd issue but everything seems straight i hvve measured all the blade tips and they are all right on even at at 12,3, 6 and 9 oclock positions so i am thinking i might have bent the deck but it only cuts funy with it low so maybe it is a deck lifting problem but i also have looked at that and adjusted that a little bit and it still did the same thing. if i can remeberto take pictuers i will i just seem to get tied up with things to do. and plus i have caught some kind of head cold! one of my fathers workers came back from camp with walking pneumonia so i might have got it from him but i hope not. this lady told me today i had swine flu lol. i probly do but untill i cant move i wont go to the doctors, i dont like going, i have been in for soo many operations it just isnt a thing i like to go do. i know it is somthing though my one arm started aching soo bad, i have bout 12" of titanium plates in my forearm and it hurt so bad today just aching from being sick. when you demo the one your getting remeber to mow low and see what it does cause mine mowed low good when i first got it but now i changed the blades so now im nto sure if it could be a blade issue maybe ill put a new set on tomarow mornign and go from there!

That is the place to start, put the exact same blades back on the mower that you had when it was cutting good. That will eliminate one possible problem.

FastMan
06-09-2009, 08:19 PM
SsC, when I demo'd the NLZ I cut at 2" for a spell and it did fine. Very nice cut.

FastMan
06-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Could someone please fill me in on the characteristics of the deck on the Predator Pro? Specifically how it compares to the Exmark ultra and the Scag volocity? I know the Scag is a ""cut it once and spit it out"" deck, and the ultra is a '"keep them blades in there and cut them till they're dust"' designed deck. Where does the Bobcat deck fall? More like the ultra or the volocity?

Kauferhaus, you have a bunch of them. How do they work for you in the tall and wet? Seems those conditions are the volocity's strong suit. Can the Bobcat compete?

tacoma200
06-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Could someone please fill me in on the characteristics of the deck on the Predator Pro? Specifically how it compares to the Exmark ultra and the Scag volocity? I know the Scag is a ""cut it once and spit it out"" deck, and the ultra is a '"keep them blades in there and cut them till they're dust"' designed deck. Where does the Bobcat deck fall? More like the ultra or the volocity?

Kauferhaus, you have a bunch of them. How do they work for you in the tall and wet? Seems those conditions are the volocity's strong suit. Can the Bobcat compete?

They seem to recycle grass a lot and cut it into finer clippings. You can look at the deck on most ZTR's and tell. If they are heavily baffled, or the baffles are very close to the blade they will tend to have more lift and mulch the grass a bit before it is discharged. The Scag is the best or worst of both worlds. It has a strait front baffle but it is several inches from the front of the blade path, this gives the grass room to stand up and be cut as well as giving room for it to be discharged with out any obstruction while the back of the deck is traditional giving it some lift. Also the larger the chute opening the less lift a deck will have everything else being equal, but also less chance of build up, clumping, or problems when wet. Most decks are high lift type (my opinion) made to give a crisp cut in normal conditions. The Scag Velocity is more of an open design but not completely, it still has adjustable baffles, but more room for large amounts of grass. The 7 Iron decks work much like the Velocity, cut it and get rid of it but it has a unique design that can only be achieved with a stamped deck which only John Deere can do with 7 gauge steel at the present time if I understand correctly.

So tight contoured baffles, small discharge openings mean grass will be sucked up tighter (more lift) and recycled into smaller clippings. The force of the discharge will be more powerful(more velocity,speed) but tighter.

Decks with baffles that are straiter, not as tight or contoured, will probably have a little less lift and cut the grass fewer times making them more efficient but the clippings longer. And the larger opening also will decrease lift some but allow the clippings to be discharge in a wider pattern with less force and less chance of clinging together and clumping. High lift blades will help increase the lift of this type deck for a crisper cut but as with all decks high lifts may cause some build up on the deck above the blades because of the force of the grass being lifted and cut.

A fine example is the Toro Turbo Force deck. You can narrow the opening for more lift and a crisper cut or open it for less lift and obstruction during wet, tall, or other mowing conditions where you need to be more efficient.

FastMan
06-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks, Tacoma. That explanation makes perfect sense. A couple more questions then.
Can you modify the baffles in say an ultra deck, to make a more open deck design? And are you familar with how well the turbo force adjustment actually works in the field? Can it get anywhere near the cutting characteristics of a volocity? I haven't looked underneath one to compare the non adjustable baffles.

Damn,,, I just want a Lazer with a volocity deck!

tacoma200
06-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks, Tacoma. That explanation makes perfect sense. A couple more questions then.
Can you modify the baffles in say an ultra deck, to make a more open deck design? And are you familar with how well the turbo force adjustment actually works in the field? Can it get anywhere near the cutting characteristics of a volocity? I haven't looked underneath one to compare the non adjustable baffles.

Damn,,, I just want a Lazer with a volocity deck!

In theory the Turbo Force was a great idea but it hasn't received as high of remarks as the Ultra Cut by most. I have no idea how to adjust the Ultra Cut for higher volume cutting. I think making it adjustable would be a great idea but it is apparently a difficult task even for Exmark, I mean we see what happened to the so called improved Triton that was supposed to help with some of the Ultra Cuts short comings.

To be honest I learned to live with the Ultra Cut for years. I knew it was a great deck and I would just have to live with the idea of scraping it more often. Keep it clean and it's a great deck. I tried blades with less lift with the Ultra Cut but it left more blades of grass uncut. I don't have an answer. All decks are a compromise, it is nearly impossible to get one deck that can cut in all conditions across the U.S. In my opinion the Velocity Plus and the 7 Iron decks are a great compromise if you have to cut heavy or wet. The Ultra Cut will do the job though, our grass sticks to it pretty bad though.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-10-2009, 12:02 PM
i think it might be blades but you just cant tell till you switch. i have been soo sick the last 2 days i havent been able to anything. if i am better tomarow i will try the new blades and see, will let every one know how it does it could just be my mower, i do beat on it more than i should.

puppypaws
06-10-2009, 05:52 PM
i think it might be blades but you just cant tell till you switch. i have been soo sick the last 2 days i havent been able to anything. if i am better tomarow i will try the new blades and see, will let every one know how it does it could just be my mower, i do beat on it more than i should.

I hope you get to feeling better, it is terrible to be sick and weak feeling.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-10-2009, 07:19 PM
thanks! i have been drinking nyquil and trying not to let the burning in my lungs get to me. ill be working tomarow i think, once i get back caught up i will change the blades, see if it is the problem with the low cut.

FastMan
06-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Yes, SsC, rest up,,, get bettet. Haven't been hanging out with Mexicans, have you? Just kidding. Hope you recover quickly.