PDA

View Full Version : Overfilled Briggs now what??

gjs4
06-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Ok Guys-
I have a early 2000 white lt1650 (MTD) with a briggs & stratton 16 hp motor.

I recently changed the oil and (on accidnet) overfilled it by a pint. It blew (blue) smoke like mad for 15-20 seconds then cleared up. The air filter was saturated and the plugs fouled. I turned it over without plugs to blow some of the oil out. Even squirted a tiny bit of carb cleaner to get more out. I drained the oil to the right level. Cleaned the carb which appeared relatively clean with no oil.

It runs crappy at low idle now and does not have the power it should (stalling at times when the blades are actuated). Made sure i had spark and the plugs were clean. The oil looks ok and really doesnt smell like gas.

Did i bend a rod or valve? I guess I shoudl change the oil to be careful. I do not hear knocking and there is no way to measure the tdc because it is an opposing setup engine. there is no more smoke, doesnt sputter or anything- it just seems the auto- throttle/govenour is what keeps it alive at low rpms. It will start on either one of the cylinders by themselves. I mowed for an hour today and shut it off. It did not want to restart 5 minutes later- thought the battery was dead due to runing over very hard. tried again 2 hours later and it fired right up. No issues when moving with the hydrostatic drive- only when the mower (pto) is flipped. I did change the belt at the same time of changing the oil- it was the right size....

Spent hours on trying to figure this thing out- and really dont have the cash or will to send it out.

Any ideas?????

THANK YOU SO MUCH

chesterlawn
06-07-2009, 09:53 PM
You said that you saturated the air filter, did you put a new one on? If not that could cause you problems.

gjs4
06-07-2009, 10:00 PM
yup, new filter & prefilter

gjs4
06-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Any other ideas guys?

milike
06-08-2009, 08:48 PM
overfilling could have cause a head gasket to blow.
What kind of compression do you have??

gjs4
06-08-2009, 10:29 PM
to my dismay- I do not have a compression tester. I can say it will push my thumb off the plug hole when rotating by hand- but that doesnt say much.

Any other ways to check the head gasket? how bad/difficult of a repair is that?

RonAyersMotorsports
06-09-2009, 05:14 PM
If there is oil in the filter there is oil in the carb. Drain carburetor of all fuel and flush. This should fix the problem along with new spark plugs.

gjs4
06-09-2009, 11:11 PM
drained and replaced the oil but was unable to locate the oil filter to replace it. Also replaced the gas and drained and cleaned the carb for the third time. Will give it a go tomorrow.