PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a buying a Scag Turf Tiger or a Exmark Lazer Z Cant Decide Which One

greenred
06-07-2009, 10:09 PM
So I am in the market for a new ZTR. Right now my options are a Scag Turf Tiger with 52 inch deck and 27 HP Kohler or a Next Lazer Z from Exmark with a 52inch deck and 23 HP Kawasaki.

Im not real sure of the new Exmark design, but I am familiar with their cutting deck and think they leave a awesome cut plus I think Kawasaki makes a hell of a engine.

I like the Scags. They seem to be built like tanks, and from what I have seen on here they hold a hill better then Exmarks. Plus Scag offers a much lower financing rate. But Im not to sure about the 27 HP Kohler. I appreciate the extra power, but out of all my past equipment the one with the most troublesome motor was the Kohler powered one. Of couse it could of been a 1 off. Im also not to sure about the shaft driven deck opposed to Exmarks simpler belt drive.

One of the biggest factors is what price range am I looking at for the mowers I described?

As far as dealer support goes the Exmark dealer is much more established and larger, but that seems to mean piss all as our biggest local dealer who I bought the majority of my past equipment from went belly up in the last year.

hvphotog
06-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Does the eXmark have plastic pulley's on it? I was looking at new mowers and what i saw on the exmark is price increased and i feel quality decreased with down grading certain material.. So now i am choosing between a scag and bob cat leaning towards scag but i hear alot of good things about bad boy mowers although closest deal to me is an hour away

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-07-2009, 10:52 PM
the exmark is a smaller mower and has great finishing cut. parts are easy to get and it is probly a little cheaper than the turf tiger but i could be wrong. they are two totally different mowers, so you need to think about what you need your self and compare the two at which does those things you need more efficiently. the turf tiger will eat a little more fuel but it will cut taller grass better, the exmark will have a nice cut and will be a smaller more agile mower and they hold hills about the same. the exmark sort of caters to poeple who mow ther own land the scag is a industial heavy commercial use mower meant for extreem use! they are heavy and big and meant to be used hard, the shaft drive deck is a cool design but unless your doing extreme stuff you dont need it. well have fun choosing but a word of advice dont let the money burn a hole in your pocket sit back and see what kind of deal you can get!

greenred
06-07-2009, 10:55 PM
the exmark is a smaller mower and has great finishing cut. parts are easy to get and it is probly a little cheaper than the turf tiger but i could be wrong. they are two totally different mowers, so you need to think about what you need your self and compare the two at which does those things you need more efficiently. the turf tiger will eat a little more fuel but it will cut taller grass better, the exmark will have a nice cut and will be a smaller more agile mower and they hold hills about the same. the exmark sort of caters to poeple who mow ther own land the scag is a industial heavy commercial use mower meant for extreem use! they are heavy and big and meant to be used hard, the shaft drive deck is a cool design but unless your doing extreme stuff you dont need it. well have fun choosing but a word of advice dont let the money burn a hole in your pocket sit back and see what kind of deal you can get!

Any idea on the cost comparison? Like am I looking at 11 grand for the Scag TT or 10 grand for the Exmark or more or less?

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-07-2009, 11:05 PM
no the exmark is cheaper and so is the scag should be able to get a tt 52 with a kohler for arround 9200 give or take. it all depends on area and such. the exmark should be like 8000 maybe more. you would need to go see what the dealer says its tough to say. i paid 11000 ffor my exmark without tax but mine was the biggest motor with a 60" deck

nosparkplugs
06-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Both are great mowers in their own respects get your dealers rock bottom price's on each mower. Then go compare the Scag TT & Exmark Next Lazer Z with those engines & deck configurations to a couple of "other" brand ZTR's You might be surprized at what you are leaving on the table.

So I am in the market for a new ZTR. Right now my options are a Scag Turf Tiger with 52 inch deck and 27 HP Kohler or a Next Lazer Z from Exmark with a 52inch deck and 23 HP Kawasaki.

Im not real sure of the new Exmark design, but I am familiar with their cutting deck and think they leave a awesome cut plus I think Kawasaki makes a hell of a engine.

I like the Scags. They seem to be built like tanks, and from what I have seen on here they hold a hill better then Exmarks. Plus Scag offers a much lower financing rate. But Im not to sure about the 27 HP Kohler. I appreciate the extra power, but out of all my past equipment the one with the most troublesome motor was the Kohler powered one. Of couse it could of been a 1 off. Im also not to sure about the shaft driven deck opposed to Exmarks simpler belt drive.

One of the biggest factors is what price range am I looking at for the mowers I described?

As far as dealer support goes the Exmark dealer is much more established and larger, but that seems to mean piss all as our biggest local dealer who I bought the majority of my past equipment from went belly up in the last year.

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-07-2009, 11:30 PM
nosparkplugs is right you can find a bad boy for the same price but alot more mower, same as bobcat and some other brands i cant think of right now. i like exmark so far and will say i dont think you will find a mower that is as manueverable for the price maybe i am wrong but mine is pretty amazing and everyone on here that owns one is amazed at them as well, and they have owned and own other brands that are in the same class and hands down say the exmark is a way better machine, but im not you and if your not mowing in extreme conditions and going to need all the luxuries that a scag or exmark provides maybe looking at cheaper mowers are a better idea. like i said before taking your time to buy a mower is the smartest thing you can do right now! do lots of research and read lots of info on all of them! ill give you a list of names of all different brands all you have to do is go their websites and check them out.

hustler, newholland, ferris, johndeere, kubota, grasshopper, bobcat, badboy, cubcadet, gravely, toro, everride, yazoo kees, country clipper, landshark, landpride, great dane, ther are more but i ran out of thoughts.

tacoma200
06-07-2009, 11:50 PM
I would do a lot of demo's. They handle and feel a lot different. Time is on your side so take as much as you need to make the right decision. Don't rule out lesser known brands if you have the support. There are better prices in most of the country.
Posted via Mobile Device

greenred
06-08-2009, 12:05 AM
The other mowers available in my area are Cub, Toro, Ferris, Dixie Chopper. I wont buy a Cub cause I hate MTD, the Toro and the Exmark are the same mower with different decks and as far as Im concerned the Exmark Deck wins hands down, I looked at Ferris and I was just not impressed with it, and Dixie Chopper Im conflicted on as I have seen them in action and they seem to leave a awesome cut but they just look so shoddy built and the deck looks like crap but that's just my personal opinion.

Im buying this mower for personal use. I want a mower thats going to last me 15 years at minimum. I have a Toro ZTR that is not quite 9 years old and going strong and thats after a life of being used as a commercial mower. Im really leaning toward the Scag cause I am impressed with it and not so sure about the new Exmark design features but I just dont know.

nosparkplugs
06-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Their is a guy on here whom purchased a Scag Tiger Cub with the intention to pass it on to his son, some-day, but it burnt to the ground in the yard.:rolleyes:

You want something to last forever, and pass it on to your son get a REAL John Deere riding tractor from a "real" John Deere dealership not Home Depot!!!. My first Tractor was a 1971 JD110 :) Not sure a ZTR is a real keepsake just my 2 cents

The other mowers available in my area are Cub, Toro, Ferris, Dixie Chopper. I wont buy a Cub cause I hate MTD, the Toro and the Exmark are the same mower with different decks and as far as Im concerned the Exmark Deck wins hands down, I looked at Ferris and I was just not impressed with it, and Dixie Chopper Im conflicted on as I have seen them in action and they seem to leave a awesome cut but they just look so shoddy built and the deck looks like crap but that's just my personal opinion.

Im buying this mower for personal use. I want a mower thats going to last me 15 years at minimum. I have a Toro ZTR that is not quite 9 years old and going strong and thats after a life of being used as a commercial mower. Im really leaning toward the Scag cause I am impressed with it and not so sure about the new Exmark design features but I just dont know.

greenred
06-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Their is a guy on here whom purchased a Scag Tiger Cub with the intention to pass it on to his son, some-day, but it burnt to the ground in the yard.:rolleyes:

You want something to last forever, and pass it on to your son get a REAL John Deere riding tractor from a "real" John Deere dealership not Home Depot!!!. My first Tractor was a 1971 JD110 :) Not sure a ZTR is a real keepsake just my 2 cents

I have a real John Deer parked in the garage already :usflag:

Besides Im only 28 and a confirmed bachelor. How else could I afford a 10,000 dollar commercial ZTR for personal use. :dancing:

I found my tractor passion is cheaper in the long run then any fleeting skirt I have chased.

FastMan
06-08-2009, 01:11 AM
Have you considered the Scag Wildcat? You can put a 26 hp Kawasaki on it, if you're conserned about the kohler. Will also be over a hundred pounds lighter, less money, and probably more maneuverable/nimble.

greenred
06-08-2009, 01:15 AM
Have you considered the Scag Wildcat? You can put a 26 hp Kawasaki on it, if you're conserned about the kohler. Will also be over a hundred pounds lighter, less money, and probably more maneuverable/nimble.

Yeah Im definitely going to check it out too.

SNAPPER MAN
06-08-2009, 07:48 AM
You are comparing two very different machines. The scag turf tiger is a heavy heavy duty mower made to have the piss run out of it. It has the shaft driven deck instead of the usual belt so it is a plus. It handles way different than a Lazer Z. The scag is a big bulky machine, which I personally love but to each is own. You should consider checking out the 61" Tiger cat with the 25hp kohler, for a home owner that would be a great machines. A turf tiger is pretty overkill just to use at your house imo. Also don't be worried about kohler engines, I have a 27hp kohler command on my turf tiger and it is a great engine. The main reason alot of companies are using kawasaki's on there mowers is because kawasaki gives them a better deal when they buy huge quantitys to put on there mowers. Kohler makes a damn good engine and the 27hp command is a proven engine that has been out there for a while.

Mike Blevins
06-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Mowers are just like everything else. You get what you pay for. All of these mowers are good mowers. But I put my money on quality,reputation,warranty,etc. every time. Thats why I buy Scag mowers. But I really don't know what I'm talking about. I just sit around all day and drink orange KOOL-AID.Read some of my other posts this will confirm it. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-08-2009, 05:01 PM
if your looking for a mower to last you a long time dixie chopper is certainly a long lasting mower give them a try see what price they are wiliing to do for you, you might be surprised at the kind of deal you can get!

nosparkplugs
06-08-2009, 11:15 PM
No words necessary on this one, :waving:

Drink-up Yah-All:drinkup:

Mowers are just like everything else. You get what you pay for. All of these mowers are good mowers. But I put my money on quality,reputation,warranty,etc. every time. Thats why I buy Scag mowers. But I really don't know what I'm talking about. I just sit around all day and drink orange KOOL-AID.Read some of my other posts this will confirm it. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

puppypaws
06-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Besides Im only 28 and a confirmed bachelor.

Remember that word confirmed, it has a way of changing meanings. I know because I was 32 before my heart fell into my cod sack.

fixdaddy
06-10-2009, 11:34 PM
I hope my information will help you make a decision. I spent 2 years in your same situation trying to make a decision. I have 2 cousins that work for ZTR Equipment manufacturers. 1 works for Swisher and the other works for Land Pride. After numerous speeches on why their mowers were good I started to talk to mowing professionals and friends that mow large acreage yards. A good friend of mine whom I share an office with has an Exmark that his dad bought in 1995, he loves it. He bought a 2006 model for back up and hasn't used it yet because the 1995 hasn't died. Today, he came over and I opened up the barn and showed him my new Scag Turf Tiger 29 DFI Kaw 61" deck. I gave him the key and he fired it up and started to mow. After about 8 passes he stopped, drove up to me and said "I'll trade you both of mine for this". Of course you know what my answer was.
If you are mowing large acreage with hills and long grass, the Scag is the way to go. If your yard isn't so big, you might prefer the Exmark. If you like a lot of tough metal, Scag is the way to go. Both will last a very long time if you take care of them.
Like you, I have a 1985 John Deere 650 Tractor that won't die, even when I neglect it.