PDA

View Full Version : Question about buying ztr and taxes

jgriff6258
06-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Wanting to buy a new ztr my question is if you buy a mower from a dealer do you have to pay tax on the mower if its for commercial use? this is in ohio, I have been looking at mowers in indiana also, they say they have to charge indiana sales tax if i come there an pick it up v/s them delivering. but if i buy in ohio do i have to pay taxes on it?

may be a silly question but i do not know the answer :)

Thanks

txcharlie
06-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Shipped from another state, should not pay tax. Shipping a short distance should be much less than tax. I just shipped from indiana to texas for less than $400. Check out Southern Indiana equipment. Ask for Ron Zipp.

lifetree
06-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Shipped from another state, should not pay tax. ...

Or delivered to your home from a dealer in another state, shouldn't have to pay tax ... that's how I got my ZTR ... the dealer delivered it across the state line, therefore, no sales tax !!

1MajorTom
06-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Or delivered to your home from a dealer in another state, shouldn't have to pay tax ... that's how I got my ZTR ... the dealer delivered it across the state line, therefore, no sales tax !!

however, you have to pay use tax.

http://www.tennessee.gov/revenue/faqs/salesandusefaq.htm#15

SfTD_service_CENTER
06-08-2009, 12:42 AM
good info!

jgriff6258
06-08-2009, 12:56 AM
thx for the replies guys, but i just bought one on ebay :)

PGLC
06-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Usually buying out of state allows the vendor to not charge you that state's sales tax (unless that vendor has nexus in your state). However, as 1MajorTom said, you will most likely owe use tax in your state. This is equivalent to sales tax but you as the consumer or user of the item is liable for it. You can account for use tax on your monthly sales and use tax returns.

Oh, if you are asking why you would want to self-remit use tax, just ask anyone who has gone through a sales and use tax audit by the state Department of Revenue. They will ensure you don't make that mistake again!

Good luck on your purchase and with your new mower!