PDA

View Full Version : snapped bladebolt

bare spot
06-07-2009, 11:37 PM
was doing a quick change of a blade on a 21 sat. on a job and snapped the blade bolt (knew it was tight but wasn't happy and had to give it that little xtra, paying for it now). so anyway, today i picked up a lefthanded drill bit to go with an easy out and was gonna try and get what's left of the bolt with these but read last night where sometimes heat was applied to loosen things up on broken bolts and what not (studs, etc.). so just wondering if it's a good idea to heat up a mower spindle (21mower spindle), don't plan on going this route, just penetrating oil but if worse comes to worse i might be tempted, thanks btw don't have the spec's on the bolt, looks like a 3/8's

Jason Rose
06-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Without the tension of the head holding the threads tight, the bolt should be fairly loose in the threads now. I'd try the drill and easyout first, you may be suprised, it may just spin right out. The only thing that would make it still be tight is if it was severly overtightend, or if you hit something, that it distorted or partially stripped the threads. Then it's going to hold on like it was welded in there...

Where heating it up with a torch may mess you up there is the oil seal on the bottom if the engine would get cooked. I don't know how much heat it could take... Even then

bare spot
06-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Without the tension of the head holding the threads tight, the bolt should be fairly loose in the threads now. I'd try the drill and easyout first, you may be suprised, it may just spin right out. The only thing that would make it still be tight is if it was severly overtightend, or if you hit something, that it distorted or partially stripped the threads. Then it's going to hold on like it was welded in there...

Where heating it up with a torch may mess you up there is the oil seal on the bottom if the engine would get cooked. I don't know how much heat it could take... Even then

jason thanks, that's what i been wondering also, how far the treads go in the spindle, don't believe the bolt bottoms out when tighten with the blade on. so that could be a break (no pun intented) and like u said spin out fairly easy with the easy out, it was a clean break and threads so far look good. on the heat, sounds good about staying away from that, thanks

Stillwater
06-08-2009, 03:23 AM
I am in total agreement with jason.....

VT_Grassman
06-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Were you removing or installing it when it broke? Not that it matters for removing it but if you broke it trying to remove it, it may be harder to get out since that shows it is seized/extremely tight/may not have been out in awhile, etc!
Those are graded bolts so I would be sure to use the same grade (marked on the head) for replacement.
Good luck.

bare spot
06-08-2009, 06:06 PM
thanks all for the help, quit early today so i'm going in and get it in a few minutes (doing it outside), hope it goes as planned. also read where patience is key on these things, gotta make sure i keep that in mind.

bare spot
06-08-2009, 07:15 PM
well that was anti-climatic, spun right out with the lefthand drill bit. hardest part was getting the drill bit centered, wasn't to flush where it broke. anyway, good to go, that is soon as the new bolt gets here, thanks all again. btw- VT-Grassman it broke when i was putting the blade on, was in a hurry, knew it was tight enough but for some reason i had to give it that little xtra. thing is to i been meaning to buy a torqe wrench, really need one. although i didn't see me getting in the habit of using it for this (changing blades on a 21), maybe i will from now on but i think that bolt been on and off so much it finally gave in.

ed2hess
06-08-2009, 09:24 PM
. hardest part was getting the drill bit centered, .

A center punch could have been helpful in making a divit for the drill bit.

bare spot
06-08-2009, 09:58 PM
A center punch could have been helpful in making a divit for the drill bit.

ed thanks, i should of mentioned i did do the center punch but was afraid to really wack it (first time doing this but problably could of i guess?), so really didn't get a good starting hole but had just enough so the drill didn't walk on me. had bought some really good drills bits (think forney or something), didn't have any lefthanded bits. was temped to buy the whole set of lefthanded bits this place had but just got what think needed. so wanted to ask if any suggestions of makers of a good set, don't see me using them a lot but see they are nice to have, the forney's.?

Breezmister
06-09-2009, 01:05 AM
so wanted to ask if any suggestions of makers of a good set, don't see me using them a lot but see they are nice to have, the forney's.?

Here is a link to the set I have, everything you will need to remove broken bolts and screws. I've used it on screws as little as 4 mm and bolts up to 3/4inch. Just don't pay more then $150 bucks for it

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd100507

bare spot
06-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Here is a link to the set I have, everything you will need to remove broken bolts and screws. I've used it on screws as little as 4 mm and bolts up to 3/4inch. Just don't pay more then $150 bucks for it

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd100507

thanks for the link, have a fastenal"s by me and gonna check them out (if have them).