PDA

View Full Version : Priceless Picture

nosparkplugs
06-07-2009, 11:59 PM
For all those Ford diehards this is how your 6.0 & 6.4 Powerstroke must be accessed for even minor repairs. Surly a great design for a superior truck.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/Fordbody.jpg

AdvancedLawns
06-08-2009, 12:02 AM
my cousin works at ford and said its only a few bolts..

nosparkplugs
06-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Couple of bolts some plugs & a $6,000 dollar lift great design for the Owner-operator whom wants to work on his own Powerstroke.:laugh:

ZTR_Diesel
06-08-2009, 12:45 AM
Actually the body should be fully removed from the area of the chassis while the engine and transmision are under service. One should not service it under a hanging body such as the picture would imply that this shop is doing.

Personally, other than the wire connectors only being designed for about 10 connections and disconnects, and the obvious need for special equipment, it's still a lot easier to service modern veichles with the front body off. Underhood access is pitiful these days, although overall the Ford trucks have a move "van like" underhood arrangment of late.

How about this for engine access:

FYS777
06-08-2009, 12:50 AM
thats why i bought a dodge cummins.....!!!!! none better!!!!!!

nosparkplugs
06-08-2009, 12:54 AM
Ditto gotta love the In-line diesels got room to sleep under the hood:walking:

thats why i bought a dodge cummins.....!!!!! none better!!!!!!

greendoctor
06-08-2009, 02:08 AM
I love old Mercedes with the OM617-952 engines. Simple to work on, most things are easily accessible, and there is not much to go wrong with those engines. Enough power to get around and gets 25-30 MPG doing it. The engines will also run on biodiesel or used vegetable oil without any problems as well. My personal car is a 1983 300D with the 617-952 engine. That is how I got bitten by the diesel bug. This same engine was first tested in a record setting car in the 1970's http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3200.asp?id=11583. In the production version, the intercooler was left out and the turbo was limited to 12 PSI so the engine only put out about 120 hp. However it is still a torque monster, 170 ft lb of torque out of a 3.0 liter engine.

DLCS
06-08-2009, 10:18 AM
I see oportunity for someone to design a kit that makes easy removal of the front clip all in one piece. But really what a pita. :rolleyes:

JDiepstra
06-08-2009, 11:07 AM

Do you really believe you cab and all of the electronics and steering components and brake linkage and AC and everything else are really held on by " a few bolts"? If that's the case, that sucker could fly off any second going down the road! :dizzy:

ProTouch Groundscapes
06-08-2009, 04:10 PM
its actually a really quick procedure to get the cabs off the 08+ trucks. besides we bought enough warranty to cover the truck until we sell it, nothing will be coming out of pocket on our end. we have had zero issues with our 09 that we purchased in dec. last year. 12K miles so far on the 6.4L

Marek
06-08-2009, 04:24 PM
They must be doing something right, Obama isnt bailing Ford out. CAn you say the same about your superior dodge, or are you going to change the emblems to fiat.

JDiepstra
06-08-2009, 04:39 PM
They must be doing something right, Obama isnt bailing Ford out. CAn you say the same about your superior dodge, or are you going to change the emblems to fiat.

Yes Ford is making a killing on repairs of their junk. My Dodge has seen a dealer once in 85,000 miles and it cost me $0.

Oh and I removed all my emblems except for the Cummins "C" badge.

lyube
06-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Actually the body should be fully removed from the area of the chassis while the engine and transmision are under service. One should not service it under a hanging body such as the picture would imply that this shop is doing.

Personally, other than the wire connectors only being designed for about 10 connections and disconnects, and the obvious need for special equipment, it's still a lot easier to service modern veichles with the front body off. Underhood access is pitiful these days, although overall the Ford trucks have a move "van like" underhood arrangment of late.

How about this for engine access:

That's absolute hell for owner maintenance.

Whoever owns the Benz..I'm jealous. I had a brown one, 300sd. Got 35 on the highway at 55 and had an ENORMOUS 40 gallon fuel tank in the back. Insanely reliable vehicle. I miss it. 500$!

ZTR_Diesel
06-08-2009, 05:48 PM
That's absolute hell for owner maintenance.

Whoever owns the Benz..I'm jealous. I had a brown one, 300sd. Got 35 on the highway at 55 and had an ENORMOUS 40 gallon fuel tank in the back. Insanely reliable vehicle. I miss it. 500$!

I agree - and that's not my Benz, but I may pick one up here as my daily driver. I run a 2000 Accord 5-speed for most daily use, and with one radiator in 190,000 miles, it's been a pretty good car overall, at just over 31 mpg lifetime. Reason for selling it later this year is that a frind just loves this car and wants to get it - not someone else's by mine with a known history - for his wife.

I may start looking for an early '80 300D, however would they be relaible for over-the road trips? How is their electrical?

nosparkplugs
06-08-2009, 07:37 PM
That's right buy enough warranty or dump these Ford trucks before you have to pay to repair them yourself,LOL don't care if it's only 2 bolts holding the cab on, and one factory wiring harness, you still need a lift to hoist the body clear of the truck frame.
Ford needs to include this pic in their Superduty propoganda material, since this is a "breakthrough" in truck repair design. More like Ford crammed to much powerstroke inbetween the frame rails!!
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
06-09-2009, 02:52 AM
There is not much electrical in a 300D. My only suggestion is to deal with this in terms of it being a 20+ year old car and understand that the engineers anticipated a 10-20 year service life on all of the parts. A lot of this depends on how well the previous owners took care of the car and how they drove it. Do not be afraid of a high mileage car. But when it is over 200,000 watch for engine wear(infrequent oil changes, cheap/incorrect oil), rear CV axles damaged/oil leaked out, worn transmissions(again, proper fluid, changed regularly, trans filter changed), radiator/cooling system. If you need a working A/C expect to drop $2-3000 getting everything replaced. At that age it is not expected to hold together. My car does require more attention than keeping it full of diesel, but what other car is still around 250,000 later and 26 years old?

TXNSLighting
06-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Its only the 08+ that needs the cab off to repair. The previous years can be worked on with the cab still attched. Ive also been in the ford dealers with these 08's bein worked on and the techs say in most cases its not necessary for the cab to come off. I did watch one come off, and it only took the tech about 10 minutes to get it off the truck. If a regular guy wants to do repairs, he can just get a few friends and lift the cab off that way! Theyre still great trucks, and have lotsa great power. They are also having great longevity now.

Gravel Rat
06-09-2009, 01:16 PM
I was looking at a 07 3500 SRW Dodge 4 days ago they are so cheap the glue that holds the Dodge name to the truck doesn't stick. The truck was missing 90% of its badging. I pulled on one of the letters and it almost pealed off. Look through the window the interior of the truck looked like it was 10 years old.

One thing about it Ford will work on their trucks buy a Dodge good luck getting it repaired. Maybe in the USA Dodge dealers are better but here in B.C. there is very few dealers that can work on diesel trucks. They will sell you one but they can't work on it.

The one Dodge dealer my brother had to take his 94 Cummins to had to have a private diesel mechanic to figure out what was wrong with it. They didn't have a mechanic that could work on diesel trucks. They sell them but can't work on them.

Dodge was bailed out years ago nobody bought their cheap junk then and today they are being bailed out again.

One question for you Dodge lovers if the Dodge truck wasn't powered by Cummins would you still buy a Dodge ?

bobcat_ron
06-09-2009, 03:03 PM
You guys obviously haven't seen how large equipment is built with engine maintenance in mind.
Look at how far the front hood on a big rig flips forward, Ford was thinking the same thing.
The smart companies build with easy and fast access in mind, even the now gone Madill company built all their equipment with sliders on the engines so the entire engine could be pulled out just for a simple turbo charger replacement.

VirginiaLawnCare
06-09-2009, 05:00 PM
That's right buy enough warranty or dump these Ford trucks before you have to pay to repair them yourself,LOL don't care if it's only 2 bolts holding the cab on, and one factory wiring harness, you still need a lift to hoist the body clear of the truck frame.
Ford needs to include this pic in their Superduty propoganda material, since this is a "breakthrough" in truck repair design. More like Ford crammed to much powerstroke inbetween the frame rails!!
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't see the big deal, so the cab has to come of to do MAJOR repair's. Its not that big of a deal.

South Florida Lawns
06-09-2009, 05:57 PM
I'll bet thats what my friends 05' F250 looks like right about now. He's getting a bunch of work done. I know the heads are bad along with the EGR valve and a list of other things. You could always swap in a 4 or 6BT and be done with it.:laugh:

Cub Cadet YANMAR.
06-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Aww the good old powerstroke have to take half the truck off to work on them. Id buy the dodge cummins till they didnt make them no more, my buddy has a new 08 dodge ram 3500 srw long bed with a 6.7 cummins straight piped an chiped an its the best truck hes ever had with a diesel an hes had them all from powerstrokes to Dmax to the 5.9cummins an ive drove his old 6.0liter powerstroke an it dont compare to this 6.7 cummins its a beast its a dream to drive it has a G56 six speed stick behind the cummins I love that truck. has more power then you would ever need, but you always need more.

FYS777
06-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Aww the good old powerstroke have to take half the truck off to work on them. Id buy the dodge cummins till they didnt make them no more, my buddy has a new 08 dodge ram 3500 srw long bed with a 6.7 cummins straight piped an chiped an its the best truck hes ever had with a diesel an hes had them all from powerstrokes to Dmax to the 5.9cummins an ive drove his old 6.0liter powerstroke an it dont compare to this 6.7 cummins its a beast its a dream to drive it has a G56 six speed stick behind the cummins I love that truck. has more power then you would ever need, but you always need more.

you said it all can't say no more cummins, ya love my 07 six speed, !!!!!!:weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::clapping::clapping::clapping::):):):cool2::cool2:

KPS
06-09-2009, 08:32 PM
no one has answered gravel rat's question. Is the cummins engine the only reason you guys buy Dodge?

Cub Cadet YANMAR.
06-09-2009, 08:32 PM
I think its funny that GM an Ford is trying to make these V8s be as good as the Inline 6 cummins the cummins will out live any V8 diesel less moving parts an more reliable. 6 in a row makes em go.

ya i would have to say cummins is the only reason Id buy a dodge im a chevy guy at heart, but that dodge cummins is number 1 in my book.

nosparkplugs
06-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Ford truck die hards have been doing the Cummins engine swap for some time. Their is a reason why guys are spending the money to swap their PS for a Cummins. WHY? to even get close to the reliability hp/torque of a slightly modified Cummins ie Programmer, exhaust & intake, a Ford PS owner must invest in several high dollar mods, some Ford guys figured out it was just easier, and much cooler to have a Cummins under the hood of that blue oval truck.

To answer the question I have always liked the Dodge trucks, and ran the gasburners well before I stepped up to a Cummins, I also had my time behind the Ford Powerstroke 7.3L, nothing pulls like a Cummins, and those whom have towed with one understand this:)

I would agree that Dodge would be Gutless without the Cummins diesel, thats just a fact, Dodge & Cummins have build a very good relationship over the years from the 1 st Gen 12valve to the 24valve 2nd & 3rd Gen Cummins to the now 4th Gen 6.7L 24 valve Cummins.

Only Cummins has stayed true to their in-line six cylinder Cummins 5.9L ISB design, with only minor changes over the years, if it were not for the EPA the new 6.7L would not be. The extra displacement is mostly to make up for the hp/torque robbing Emission BS:hammerhead:

Ford Engineers had no choice but to lift the cab off the frame to acess the Powerstroke, the frame had to be widened to accept the new 6.0 & 6.4.

Just like the Cummins clan is "brainwashed" so are the Ford guys in that you really think lifting the cab off is a great idea:laugh:. Unless you have FREE access to a hoist your SOL!!! did you hear that SOL, SOL without a hoist. No more do it yourself work on a FERD diesel :waving:

Most "smart" Ford owners are purchasing extended warranties or dumping the trucks before the standard factory warranty runs out. That blind love
no one has answered gravel rat's question. Is the cummins engine the only reason you guys buy Dodge?

ProTouch Groundscapes
06-09-2009, 10:15 PM
i loved the interior and build quality of the ford alot better than both the dodge and chevy trucks which i both test drove prior to buying.

the reason we got extended warranties to 100K is b/c of the nightmare stories ive heard about the new epa regulated diesels.

dodge wanted the same price for a 3/4ton quad cab short bed cummins with big horn package (cloth seats, sat radio etc..) as i got my 350 crew cab long bed powerstroke with lariat package. a much better interior, leather, sync system, better audio system and alot more interior room.

for me it was a better buy b/c i use this truck for not only working but alot of personal use, i spend alot of highway driving so i wanted to be comfortable. if it was strictly for work, i wouldnt have placed so much weight on the interior.

bobcat_ron
06-09-2009, 10:23 PM
I applaud Ford for making the cab removable, that's how you make things easier on the techs to service the truck.
The older models were so much more expensive to work on because it took more time to get to the components by going through, under and around the hood.
I saw the exact same picture in my local dealer's shop last year, and the service techs and manager both said it was going to save Ford some major cash in warranty claims just in labour alone, just like the forward flipping hood on big rigs.

You Dodge and GM owners are just pissy because Ford was the only smart company to think outside the box, and now you want something cool too on your inferior trucks.

lyube
06-09-2009, 11:00 PM
I would DIE for a cummins in an f250.

5.9l, 2003-2006 in an 08 f250.

WIN.

lyube
06-09-2009, 11:09 PM
I agree - and that's not my Benz, but I may pick one up here as my daily driver. I run a 2000 Accord 5-speed for most daily use, and with one radiator in 190,000 miles, it's been a pretty good car overall, at just over 31 mpg lifetime. Reason for selling it later this year is that a frind just loves this car and wants to get it - not someone else's by mine with a known history - for his wife.

I may start looking for an early '80 300D, however would they be relaible for over-the road trips? How is their electrical?

I drove mine on nearly 12,000 miles going back and forth to Florida from North Texas, nearly 1000 miles one way. I did it on a single tank of gas.

The electrical system sucks if it's been messed with. Mine was messed up by being broken into twice. If it's an 80 it still has vacuum operated locks-check the lines to make sure they aren't corroded. If it is, the engine probably won't shut off when you turn the key-you'll have to hit the engine kill switch.

These engines burned oil, so make it a point to check oil frequently if yours is found to burn oil. Mine burned maybe 1/2 qt a month, I used lucas oil additive. A VERY strong engine, I also used mine to rip out tree stumps occasionally at my casa. Put it in 1st gear and push on the accelerator lightly.

Expect 30-40 MPG on the highway.

Very sturdy, heavy car. Does NOT do well off road in mud. It will climb steep grades though that stop other cars though :laugh: I had it sunk up to the door handles in mud.

If you drive easy, expect good MPGs. Put a can of cheap motor oil in every tank of diesel if you have the larger tank.

Change the oil every 4-5k miles.

If you have more questions PM me and I'll tell you everything I know. These are GOOD cars with good engines.

Gruneich Lawn Care, Inc.
06-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Face it, Ford GM Dodge, all have there problems, its funny that nobody has mentioned the "dowel pin of death" that the cummins is know to have a problem with.

FYS777
06-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Face it, Ford GM Dodge, all have there problems, its funny that nobody has mentioned the "dowel pin of death" that the cummins is know to have a problem with.

I've had an 05 and a 07 never heard of or had issue with what you said,

Gruneich Lawn Care, Inc.
06-09-2009, 11:35 PM
google it, ask your mechanic about it, I have Ford diesels from 99-09, dodge diesels from 98-05, and even a duramax, they all had there problems

Gravel Rat
06-09-2009, 11:58 PM
Ohwell when Chrysler goes broke this year there won't be Dodge no longer thank god I'am tired avoiding parts falling of the cheap mexican built crap boxes with the Dodge name on them.

I finding it funny how Dodge boys fight tooth and nail to defend Dodge trucks to make up for the poor poor reputation Dodge truck have.

The Cummins company loves Dodge boys they are making billions of dollars off of Dodge lovers. More people buy Dodge Cummins trucks more Cummins makes off of the already poor selling 5.9 and 6.7 engines.

If it wasn't for Dodge buying the small 6 Cummins would have dropped the 6.7 completely. The 6.7 throwaway engine isn't a big seller with equipment manufactures using a more efficient engine in heavy equipment. I think the only excavator manufacturer that uses Cummins 5.9-6.7 is New Holland.

Freightliner doesn't use Cummins at all the Mercedes MBE900 engine is far superior to the Cummins more power and heavier built it is a 6.4 litre engine. You have Detroit diesel technology in a Mercedes engine with DDEC. Dalmer didn't want to put the MBE900 into the Dodge chassis because the chassis can't take a real engine.

Paccar truck uses the Cummins but they are rebranded under their own title. The 6.7 is becoming a real boat anchor lots of emmissions problems in the medium duty trucks.

International is still building the 466 engine another engine far superior over the 6.7 Cummins.

A big difference the 6.7 isn't a true rebuildable engine its designed for one use and chuck it. If Cummins thought it was worth while they would have had replaceable liners.

You guys better start driving real trucks maybe the 5.9 and 6.7 gives you a woody try driving something with 500hp and 1800 ftlbs ie Cat power.

Getting excited over the power of a 6.7 is like looking at a fat chick.

I also don't see the fancination with sled pulling and spending thousands of dollars but that is just me. Makes you wonder why the US economy is going down the tank spending thousands of dollars foolishly. If you have 10-20 grand to try prove who is better really needs some brain cells.

As for towing again another USA facination something in the USA you have to tow something. What it is it with the big rig wannabe mentality. If you want to tow trailers get your CDL and go over the road.

Myself I rather not pull a trailer I don't need to these trucks don't have the brakes to stop with a trailer. If I have to pull a trailer the truck has air brakes. Electric trailer brakes a very un-reliable all it takes is for one wire to let go and your reducing the braking power 20%.

Maybe when you deal with steep grades 365 days a year you respect the terrian you drive on. It doesn't matter how much power you have because if the truck can't handle the load what is the point in having it. When your climbing a 10% grade with S curves you can only take the curves at 37mph.

As I said many times you go off the road you have a 90% chance of not surviving. If you loose control the trailer pushes you off the road and down over a cliff. The trees on the side of the road forcibly removes the cab on your truck and pretty much crushes you to death.

You can have your high powered Cummins your not climbing the hills any faster than a big block gas pot.

JDiepstra
06-10-2009, 07:30 AM

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA it's called the KDP or Killer Dowel Pin and that problem was solved about 10 years ago.

JDiepstra
06-10-2009, 07:42 AM
Ohwell when Chrysler goes broke this year This has already come and gone. Have you been living in a cave? there won't be Dodge no longer thank god I'am tired avoiding parts falling of the cheap mexican built crap boxes with the Dodge name on them. Your punctuation and grammar is terrible.

I finding it funny how Dodge boys fight tooth and nail to defend Dodge trucks to make up for the poor poor reputation Dodge truck have.

The Cummins company loves Dodge boys they are making billions of dollars off of Dodge lovers. More people buy Dodge Cummins trucks more Cummins makes off of the already poor selling 5.9 and 6.7 engines. Cummins is one of the few remaining standalone diesel engine makers. They must be doing something right

If it wasn't for Dodge buying the small 6 Cummins would have dropped the 6.7 completely. The 5.9 and or 6.7 will far outlast any diesel engine Ford or Chevy offers in their pickups. Suggesting otherwise shows your ignorance. The 6.7 throwaway engine isn't a big seller with equipment manufactures using a more efficient engine in heavy equipment. I think the only excavator manufacturer that uses Cummins 5.9-6.7 is New Holland.

Freightliner doesn't use Cummins at all the Mercedes MBE900 engine is far superior to the Cummins more power and heavier built it is a 6.4 litre engine. You have Detroit diesel technology in a Mercedes engine with DDEC. Dalmer didn't want to put the MBE900 into the Dodge chassis because the chassis can't take a real engine.

Paccar truck uses the Cummins but they are rebranded under their own title. The 6.7 is becoming a real boat anchor lots of emmissions problems in the medium duty trucks.

International is still building the 466 engine another engine far superior over the 6.7 Cummins. It may be still built but which pickup is it currently offered in? It appears you fail to realize emissions regulation an being enforced in America.

A big difference the 6.7 isn't a true rebuildable engine its designed for one use and chuck it. If Cummins thought it was worth while they would have had replaceable liners. Again, the duty cycle of a Cummins is much longer than Powerstroke or Duramax.

You guys better start driving real trucks maybe the 5.9 and 6.7 gives you a woody try driving something with 500hp and 1800 ftlbs ie Cat power. Which pickup manufacturer is putting this engine in their 3/4 or 1 ton? I don't think it would be efficient to tow lawn care equipment with a 15L Cat in a Kenworth

I also don't see the fancination with sled pulling and spending thousands of dollars but that is just me. Makes you wonder why the US economy is going down the tank spending thousands of dollars foolishly. If you have 10-20 grand to try prove who is better really needs some brain cells. People can legally spend their money however they want. You sound jealous.

As for towing again another USA facination something in the USA you have to tow something. What it is it with the big rig wannabe mentality. If you want to tow trailers get your CDL and go over the road. Some people tow thing because they enjoy certain passtimes i.e. camping or boating. You should have stopped typing long ago at this point.

Myself I rather not pull a trailer I don't need to these trucks don't have the brakes to stop with a trailer. If I have to pull a trailer the truck has air brakes. Electric trailer brakes a very un-reliable all it takes is for one wire to let go and your reducing the braking power 20%. Good thing heavy trailers come with their own brakes. Haven't come out of that cave yet huh?

Maybe when you deal with steep grades 365 days a year you respect the terrian you drive on. It doesn't matter how much power you have because if the truck can't handle the load what is the point in having it. When your climbing a 10% grade with S curves you can only take the curves at 37mph. If you are scared to drive turn in your license. I do have a CDL.

As I said many times you go off the road you have a 90% chance of not surviving. If you loose control the trailer pushes you off the road and down over a cliff. The trees on the side of the road forcibly removes the cab on your truck and pretty much crushes you to death. Please provide proof of the statistic you are giving. Cause I call BS

You can have your high powered Cummins your not climbing the hills any faster than a big block gas pot. Now this part here really shows you have no idea what you are talking about.

You are clueless and barely worth responding to but I offerered a few thoughts anyway.

FYS777
06-10-2009, 09:25 AM
JDiepstra; that was a good liberal interpretation. ha ha, of that.

Cub Cadet YANMAR.
06-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Well all i can say dodge isnt going anywere with fiat buying them maybe there CEOs will take better care of them. An gravel rat you can keep driving your fords not that there a bad truck its just when are they going to stop changing there diesel an keep one for a few years? The 6.4 is about to be droped. dodge had the 5.9 from what 89-07 an sure they will have this 6.7 for years to come. GM had the 6.6 from 01-09. guess navistar cant make a good motor anymore. Owell an the cummins or any new diesel will smoke a gasser for pulling.

Gravel Rat
06-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Oh well I really don't care you Dodge lovers are all one step away from the mental institution. I'am not kidding every Dodge owner I know is a little whacked in the head.

Dodge has always been a JOKE in the truck market and will always be a JOKE in the truck market.

Its been proven many times in forestry based communities that Dodge trucks don't belong in a job where you need a durable work truck.

You guys have absolutly no clue and I mean no clue what abuse to a truck is I think most of you would crap yourself if you seen where pick up trucks carrying loggers go.

Like I said the guys in the resource industries would laugh so hard if you meantion anything about Dodge and being a good truck.

Ohwell you guys can keep using your trucks on pavement and easy jobs like pulling trailers with lawnmowers. Man you Dodge lovers are funny can't beleive that your precious Dodge trucks are useless when it comes to real work.

Oh ya diesel p/u trucks are not used in the bush gas is cheap loggers buy gas 2000 Imperial gallons at a time. Diesel trucks don't make good 4x4s because they are too front axle heavy. The trucks are already grossing 500-1000lbs over the manufacturers gvw.

One thing you CAN'T trust a Dodge 4x4 when you need 4wheeldrive the most it fails. Some of these bush roads if you loose 4wheeldrive your walking 10 miles back to the log landing. Get in a tough spot you also can snap U joints and shred tires in seconds. Cheap thing sheet metal doesn't stand up to abuse either.

Like I said you guys have absolutly no clue what abuse is. What truck stands up to abuse ie Ford some of the trucks been in bush service since 1980. I bet you have no idea what loading a truck on a barge or landing craft is about and taking the truck to a camp by water 40-50 miles away from the nearest town.

Getting from the barge to the beach requires a very good 4x4 sometimes you have to launch the truck off the barge ramp to get far enough up the rocky beach. If you don't do it right you could end up tearing off the front bumper taking out the radiator and rad support. The worst part is if the 4wheeldrive fails and the barge slips out and the truck slides off the ramp into the chuck.

I do forget most of you are city slickers never use your truck offroad it may be used in snow but not offroad. A muddy farmers field isn't the same as working in the woods where bush roads have 12-14% grades. What ever a excavator can walk up the road is built. If your not careful good bye driveshafts or transfer case.

One thing about it the Ford dealer in my area has been around since the 1970s the Dodge dealer maybe late 80s they may not survive.

Glad you don't work in the resource industries in the remote camps you would be spending lots of time walking if you use a Dodge in the bush. Many Dodge trucks seen a excavator run over them to flatten them out and bury them.

Even the rental companies that lease P/U trucks don't let the Dodge trucks be leased or rented to forestry companies. They tried it once too many trucks came back to them on tow trucks with thousand of dollars in repairs. Lots of body damage the thin sheetmetal crumples easy. Transmissions that blew up etc.

Quality build Dodge trucks good for pavement and light use. Hey Dodge boys lend your truck to a forestry company for a year lets see if comes back running. It might be hanging from a Hitachi 350 excavator dragging it off a barge.

Cub Cadet YANMAR.
06-10-2009, 08:07 PM
have you ever watched ax men i do belive they drive dodges! an I know a few pipeline companies that run dodge an they drive on some severe roads non the less.

bobcat_ron
06-10-2009, 08:24 PM
have you ever watched ax men i do belive they drive dodges! an I know a few pipeline companies that run dodge an they drive on some severe roads non the less.

Dodge was a "hidden" sponsor of the show, when I watched season 1, all I saw was Dodge truck commercials, no Ford or GM.
All the loggers here drive older Ford "crummies", they seem to be everywhere, and look at the auction yards, lots of Ford service trucks and crummies everywhere.

Gravel Rat
06-10-2009, 08:41 PM

Back when forestry was good their was fleets of Ford trucks in the bush probably over 30-40 in one camp. Today probably 10 at the most.

I have watched AX men its show with archaic logging practices lots of gypo loggers with old equipment.

TXNSLighting
06-10-2009, 08:58 PM

Now thats funny right there.

Cub Cadet YANMAR.
06-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Back when forestry was good their was fleets of Ford trucks in the bush probably over 30-40 in one camp. Today probably 10 at the most.

I have watched AX men its show with archaic logging practices lots of gypo loggers with old equipment.

I do have to agree that ax men is full of BS most of the time. The one thing i would take over the cummins to me would be a GMC 2500HD with the 6.0liter gasser an 6speed auto dad has one an its a great truck it will pull anything an who doesnt like a good gasser.:weightlifter:

TXNSLighting
06-10-2009, 09:04 PM
I do have to agree that ax men is full of BS most of the time. The one thing i would take over the cummins to me would be a GMC 2500HD with the 6.0liter gasser an 6speed auto dad has one an its a great truck it will pull anything an who doesnt like a good gasser.:weightlifter:

Me! Diesels the only way..

Cub Cadet YANMAR.
06-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Me! Diesels the only way..

Diesels are my favorite, I guess I worded that wrong if I couldnt get ahold of a cummins the 6.0liter gasser would be my next choice.

Gravel Rat
06-10-2009, 10:00 PM
In todays market diesels are not worth it they cost too much. I think if you buy a diesel P/U nowwadays the dealer gives you a good personal lubricant and a roid cushion when the warranty runs out.

FYS777
06-10-2009, 10:23 PM

I ran a lot of the fords in logging, thats were the word crummies came from, logged for 25 years, who would wont to buy a good truck like a DODGE just so guys could spit there chewing tobacco on the floor, and put there chaulk boots on the dash.:laugh:

TXNSLighting
06-10-2009, 11:01 PM
In todays market diesels are not worth it they cost too much. I think if you buy a diesel P/U nowwadays the dealer gives you a good personal lubricant and a roid cushion when the warranty runs out.

Maybe in Canada but not here. Theyre still very worth it.

Gravel Rat
06-10-2009, 11:26 PM
The diesel option on a new truck is well over 7 grand. A brandnew basic diesel truck now is 50 grand you want a loaded up king ranch with tax your looking at 70 grand.

Diesel fuel here currently is 3.48 a gallon CND or 3.15 a US gallon. To do a oil change on a diesel your looking at 150 dollars.

I got some prices for a starter for my 6.0 it is 345 dollars a alternator is 290 dollars.

Like I said I can buy a F-450-550 in the USA 10-15 grand cheaper than what I pay here. Vehicals in the USA are dirt cheap.

Vehicals in B.C. at the most last 350-400,000kms (218,000 248,000 miles)past that they are maintenance pigs. A truck with 400,000kms you have to give away. The cost of autoparts out weigh the cost of a new vehical payment.

TXNSLighting
06-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Thats why i said maybe in Canada, cuz here you can still get a basic powerstroke 4x4 for around 30k..

nosparkplugs
06-10-2009, 11:49 PM
I hate Gas engines, no character or class, I like to rattle & roll Me TOOO:waving: My Gosh I will take a diesel option 100% of the time. I missed the last shipment of diesel VW Jetta's in 07 before the upgrade to the new VW green diesels. Going to be trading the gaser VW Jetta for the Jetta TDI here soon.

My firsr car was a diesel, one of the GM Oldsmobile V8 gas to diesel convert engines. Then I got a 6.2L GM diesel, that was back when diesel was .87 cents a gallon:cry:

Gravel Rat
06-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Crap you can't even buy a 2009 F-250 4x4 with 5.4 power for 30 grand.

There is no deals on vehicals the car dealers put big ads in the paper saying your going to get a good deal. Go in and read the fine print your not getting a deal your getting screwed.

Dodge and Chev are no different no deals.

ProTouch Groundscapes
06-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Diesel fuel here currently is 3.48 a gallon CND or 3.15 a US gallon. To do a oil change on a diesel your looking at 150 dollars.

diesel here is 2.45 a gallon, at least .45 cents cheaper than the lowest unleaded gasoline and i get my oil changed and truck lubed for 80 bucks at my ford dealer who works on mostly commercial trucks.

Cub Cadet YANMAR.
06-11-2009, 04:32 PM
I can change my oil for the cost of it, do it yourself saves money.

Seems like i opened a can of worms with saying the 6.0liter gasser is a good. lol

WH401
06-11-2009, 05:00 PM
To do a oil change on a diesel your looking at 150 dollars.

Yeah, if you change it with synthetics every 3k miles. I can do an oil change for $35, which includes 3 gallons of oil and a filter, done.

VirginiaLawnCare
06-11-2009, 06:06 PM

Yeah and more over priced then any diesel out there.

Gravel Rat
06-11-2009, 08:26 PM
If you changed to synthetic oil here your looking at 150 dollars for a 20 litre pail of 0-40 full synthetic. Regular dino oil your looking at 80-90 dollars for a 20 litre pail.

In my mind oil is cheap I always change my engine oil out early I never run it to the max. I'am usually 2000kms (1200 miles) early because of the conditions we have where I live.

The 6.0 Powerstroke holds 15 litres of oil or 4 US gallons of oil.

FYS777
06-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Yeah, if you change it with synthetics every 3k miles. I can do an oil change for $35, which includes 3 gallons of oil and a filter, done.

ya i think gravel rat got rip off for 150.:cry: the cummins, 07 6.7. only requires that you change every 7k even in not the best conditions, so why change at 3k???

ProTouch Groundscapes
06-11-2009, 09:21 PM
regular service intervals for the 6.4L are 10K
severe service intervals vary between 5K and 7K miles for excessive idling, off road conditions etc...

15qt capacity

Gravel Rat
06-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Oil isn't cheap and if you want to use synthetic oil you have to pay the price.

Castrol 5W-40 synthetic in gallon jugs is 40 dollars a jug. Mobile 1 is 42 dollars per gallon jug and Rotella T sysnthetic is 30 dollars a gallon.

With our CND dollar becoming close to par to the US dollar I will probably order some more filters from the USA I save a good chunk of money. What I pay for filters in the USA is 20-30% cheaper.

CrystalCreek
06-11-2009, 11:35 PM
As far as taking the trucks cab off, I will agree that the average do it yourselfer will not be able to handle it. I have taken my own cab off my 2004 PSD 6.0, BY MY SELF. There are only two tasks on the 6.0 that need the cab off. Headstuds and EGR cooler. All other work can be done in cab. It took me about two hours to get my cab off, and all I had was a pair of bumper jacks. I have done my headstuds, and the EGR ran away:laugh: I hope I never have to take the cab off again, but if I did, I wouldnt hesitate at all. Ford makes a good truck. This is the second one I have owned. 127000 miles without problems of ANY kind. My last Ford, I gave to my cousin with 275000 miles, and it is still going. I should ask him how many miles are on it now! I love my Fords.:usflag:

nosparkplugs
06-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Since were now talking about synthetics & oil change intervals:drinkup:. Be it Ford Gm or Dodge you can virtually eliminate routine oil changes with a Single or Dual Oil By-Pass Filtration System. The never diesels ingest more soot than previous, and so their oil change intervals & Oil has changed. Yet another downside to the newest diesels vs pre-DPF diesels.

No more oil changes you draw (UOA) Used Oil Analysis at about 20,000 mile intervals for a Dual By-pass System & about 10,000 for a single By-Pass system. The Labs break the oil down to it's Analytical levels, for example Silicon in oil is dirt, so a high Silicon reading in PPM would mean a possible dirty air filter, and not an oil change

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nosparkplugs71/AMSOILDUALBYPASS.jpg