PDA

View Full Version : Something so simple took me so long to figure out

greenred
06-08-2009, 02:00 AM
I always hated changing the blades on my ZTR, especially the middle one. When I was younger and of much less girth I could run one side up a regular car ramp, then finegal my way under the mower enough so I could get one arm in to hold the block of wood and one arm in to get the wrench on the socket then hold the block in place long enough to get tension on it from turning the blade. As I got older and older and my girth got correspondingly bigger and bigger I found it harder and harder to get under the Z.

Today I had a epiphany. I have solid oak ramps I made years ago. I put one on the tail gate of my truck then ran one caster of the Z up it till I had enough clearance I could get myself and my big old electric impact wrench under the deck to change the blades with room to spare. After putting the parking brake on and chocking the back wheels of course. I could even scrap the bottom of the deck with plenty of ease. If I had only thought of this simple solution years ago :hammerhead:

Nosmo
06-08-2009, 06:38 AM
The older we get the wiser we become.

Nosmo

Runner
06-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Just be VERY careful on how that ramp secures to the tailgate. I've seen many ramps slip and even come off.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-08-2009, 04:19 PM
I want a lift.

JDiepstra
06-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Great idea.

Sometimes I use a 2x8 under the front of the mower which I use to tip the mower backwards and set jack stands under it. Very fast but not easy.